Fram TG16 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Fram TG16 was on my Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 for just over 3000 miles with Defy 10w-30. The oil pressure was lower at idle with this filter. It sat around 20psi cold and 25 psi warm. Above idle it was around 60psi warm or cold. With the previous 10w-30 and Bosch filter it was at 30spi at idle cold or warm and 60 psi above idle. It was hard to start on cold days last winter, so I replaced it with a Mobil 1 M1-204 and Havoline conventional 5w-30. Hopefully the 5w-30 helps on cold days. The oil pressure now sits at 35psi cold idle, 40spi warm idle and is still at 60psi above idle. I will likely try Wix filter next.

2015-10-23%2009.27.51.jpg

2015-10-23%2009.29.03.jpg

2015-10-23%2009.28.51.jpg

Originally Posted By: jmb3675
This Fram TG16 was on my Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 for just over 3000 miles with Defy 10w-30. The oil pressure was lower at idle with this filter. It sat around 20psi cold and 25 psi warm.

You probably meant 25 psi cold and 20 psi warm at idle? Oil pressure is always higher with cold oil.

Do you know if the oil pressure sensor is located before or after the oil filter on that engine?

It is definitely lower when cold. It is also higher with 5w-30 over 10w-30. The sensor is next to the filter, but I don't know which side it reads.

Wavy pleats matter to Framboys, but we are worshipping the Ultra right now which has that nice, and expensive, stainless steel mesh to keep waves away. Seems to me this cold psi problem is the oil not the filter. After all, it is a Fram. Low oil pressure in very cold means your oil is too thick for the temp. from my experience in Chicago winter. I live in CA and use 0w-30.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Why don't wavy pleats matter to the Framboys when they are on a Fram?

White cans matter.

Do you suspect a gap between fiber end cap and center tube? See last pic.

Last year I tried a tg, and swapped it out early due to noisy idle. The noise went away. 12 Jeep Patriot. Using WIX now, because there's no Motorcraft for my application.

How is consumption with the Havoline?

It is definitely lower when cold. It is also higher with 5w-30 over 10w-30. The sensor is next to the filter, but I don't know which side it reads.

That sensor is too dang close to the filter on a 4.0. Just barely bumped mine when I was taking off the filter, and oil was going every where. New sensor plus the special Lisle socket, and I was back in business. 4.0's are picky with filters for some reason or another. Black can Wix worked the best for me, and I had no more start up rattle.

Last edited:
..The oil pressure was lower at idle with this filter..

Thanks for the pictures.

Help me understand how when the oil pump's pressure and flow is at its least a filter's 'restriction' would most manifest itself, please?

Originally Posted By: jorton
Do you suspect a gap between fiber end cap and center tube? See last pic.

Last year I tried a tg, and swapped it out early due to noisy idle. The noise went away. 12 Jeep Patriot. Using WIX now, because there's no Motorcraft for my application.

How is consumption with the Havoline?

There is a tiny gap between the center tube and the cap, but the media is sealed completely behind the tube leaving no gaps. It more or less is like the tube has one bigger hole. I don't see it as a problem.

It made a lot less noise at start up than the Bosch it had before but was a little louder than the Mobil 1 it has now.

Interesting comments. I certainly agree that the 4.0 can be picky about oil filters. Mine certainly is and several other members here have also run a gamut of filter experiments to find a good match.

Ironically the Wix mentioned has been one of the very worst on my 4.0. The Tough Guard has performed the best, along with Motorcraft S series and Napa Silvers of all things.

Not sure you can correlate oil pressure with filter performance. Oil pressure is RESISTANCE to flow, so the TG may actually be flowing better at start up than the others (bypassing maybe?). Sounds like an oil issue though, 10w30 start ups at true winter temps can be kinda rough.

Filter looks just fine to me I would happily run one although I tend to oversize which is what I am running for the winter now. OP, how many pleats on that TG16?

Originally Posted By: splinter
..The oil pressure was lower at idle with this filter..

Thanks for the pictures.

Help me understand how when the oil pump's pressure and flow is at its least a filter's 'restriction' would most manifest itself, please?

That's why I was asking if the oil pressure sensor was before or after the oil filter. If it is before the filter, then a lower oil pressure would indicate a more free flowing filter.

If the sensor is after the filter, the oil pressure (especially at idle) shouldn't change with a slightly more restrictive filter if the engine has a positive displacement oil pump in good condition.

Yep another disturbing showing for fram more disturbing is those fram freaks that refuses to see it.
This is a disgusting, cheap and worthless filter.

Thanks for popping in every 3 weeks to spew your troll talk.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Interesting comments. I certainly agree that the 4.0 can be picky about oil filters. Mine certainly is and several other members here have also run a gamut of filter experiments to find a good match.

Ironically the Wix mentioned has been one of the very worst on my 4.0. The Tough Guard has performed the best, along with Motorcraft S series and Napa Silvers of all things.

Not sure you can correlate oil pressure with filter performance. Oil pressure is RESISTANCE to flow, so the TG may actually be flowing better at start up than the others (bypassing maybe?). Sounds like an oil issue though, 10w30 start ups at true winter temps can be kinda rough.

Filter looks just fine to me I would happily run one although I tend to oversize which is what I am running for the winter now. OP, how many pleats on that TG16?

Reading this reminded me that the TG16 has a bypass valve and so did the Bosch, but the Mobil 1 on there now does not.

WOW If you could compare this to a quality Wix filter it is like night and day the Wix is so much nicer i guess that is like comparing a rolls Royce to a Yugo The Wix is like the Rolls!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
That's why I was asking if the oil pressure sensor was before or after the oil filter. If it is before the filter, then a lower oil pressure would indicate a more free flowing filter.

If the sensor is after the filter, the oil pressure (especially at idle) shouldn't change with a slightly more restrictive filter if the engine has a positive displacement oil pump in good condition.

What did you determine as it relates to our OP's post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back