Forward collision alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
The Jeep in my signature is the first vehicle I have driven extensively that has this option plus it also has automatic braking. Here is the issue - if I am rapidly approach a car that is turning, I see they have their signal on and are slowing to make a turn, but the car only sees I am rapidly approaching a slowing or stopped vehicle. Up until today, I just got the loudest beep ever with 30 point red font !BRAKE! in the instrument cluster, but today the car got scared enough to brake on its own and it scared the bejeezus out of me.

Does anyone else have a car with this feature? I don't want to turn it off because I think it is a great idea, but I can't have the car stopping on it's own when I don't want it to. And when this thing stopped, it stopped! I could hear the tires scrubbing on the asphalt. As soon as the car in front got out of the way, it let up. It also renders the gas pedal useless which has happened before but never with the aggressive braking. It always happens with the turning car in front.

If you have access to factory diagnostics, or know somebody that does, the feature can be mapped out. Aftermarket tuners might also have the capability if you ring round and ask them.
One other possibility that may work is to use a resistor to fool the circuit, same way some people defeat the airbag light after replacing the steering wheel but I don't know 100% if this would work in your application.

Other than that it's standalone management and/or non-abs brakes & cable throttle so you might prefer to buy another vehicle before you start converting yours

Last edited:
There's a button on the dashboard to turn it off, I don't want to do that! I am just asking for input from other drivers that have this option in their vehicles.

First you should notify Jeep for your problem. They may offer an update to address it.

Then your best bet is tuners. Crack the code and change the parameters so that the car doesn't brake too early.

We have this on some of our road tractors and it only works when the cruise is on (for the braking). The audible signal works all the time, though. Maybe there's a program where you can just get the audible signal when your cruise is off and have the whole thing work when the cruise in engaged.

Just like abs (don't pump breaks) and traction control etc you have to learn how to adapt to driving these systems.

A car cannot anticipate with these current inexpensive systems a car is going to turn like you can.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Does anyone else have a car with this feature? I don't want to turn it off because I think it is a great idea, but I can't have the car stopping on it's own when I don't want it to.

If you don't want to turn it off you'll have to live with it and adapt to it, but if you can't have the car thinking for itself and doing things you don't expect you have to turn it off.

Quote:
Do you really trust your safety to these electronic gadgets?

Past starting, charging and lighting I distrust electronics to the point of having window winders!

Last edited:
What if you are changing lanes to avoid car ahead of you. You have checked side mirror and have enough room to merge left but the car ahead is slowing so .....

Instead of merging while maintaining speed the car hit the brakes for you as you turn into the side of the car next to you.....

Sad when the "solution" to a problem(distracted driving/texting) is a new technology instead of education/discipline.

Last edited:
Maybe you are a following too close to begin with. You may not even realize it due to years of doing it. A 2-3 second gap is what professional safe driver training recommends.

As far as trusting your safety to electromic gadgets, I suppose if there was no brake pedal I would have an issue with that, but these "gadgets" step in when the driver has failed to take appropriate action. Given the high percentage of distracted and bad drivers out on the roads, I wish every car had automatic braking.

Originally Posted By: mtndew_dad
Maybe you are a following too close to begin with.

Agreed. Basic driving skills-when a vehicle in front is slowing to make a turn, don't continue racing up to it at full speed. Adjust your following distance so the warning doesn't happen. Simple solution.

Originally Posted By: mtndew_dad
Maybe you are a following too close to begin with. You may not even realize it due to years of doing it. A 2-3 second gap is what professional safe driver training recommends.

As far as trusting your safety to electromic gadgets, I suppose if there was no brake pedal I would have an issue with that, but these "gadgets" step in when the driver has failed to take appropriate action. Given the high percentage of distracted and bad drivers out on the roads, I wish every car had automatic braking.
If you READ his post you will find this behavior just started, but don't let that get in the way of telling him how to drive.

There may be a sensitivity adjustment where you can dial it down.

The system in my Taurus (old system that doesn't brake for you but flashes and preloads the brakes) will yell sometime if the person is turning and you come up on them just right.

It's not a replacement to pay attention but can save your bacon that one time you are adjusting the radio, daydreaming, etc.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I would NEVER own a car with such a system! That will create more wrecks then it prevents.

Many said the same thing about air bags and ABS. You'll learn to live with it and appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I would NEVER own a car with such a system! That will create more wrecks then it prevents.

Source or is that pulled out your rear?

It could be that you're following close already, or it could be that the Jeep software is just really conservative. My folks' 2014 MDX has this same feature, and it has not yet engaged the brakes on its own. It has lit the dashboard a few times as I try the system out of curiosity, but I may not be following close enough for it to intervene.

The simple fact is you're driving too aggressively for the computer to not react. Not that is is wrong, but you'll have to slow it down to keep it from reacting. The system on my 2016 Outback is awesome, I wouldn't drive across LA without it now. Does the Jeep system turn off after you apply the brake?

how about they re-engineer the accelerator to always accelerate at the engine's peak efficiency as well. you know, zoom up to 3k rpm in the power band?

too bad the car doesn't know that the light up ahead is red and their is no reason to rush it....

just because something CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD be done...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back