Uh Oh... The Sludge Monster Is Real! 01 G. Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
This van needs a good long trip on the freeway. I would try some of the chemical treatments suggested above but you still need to take it for a few good long runs. Have you ever cut open your oil filter? Do some long trips and then change the oil. I suspect the filter will have noticeable crud in it.

Trav, are you talking about Rislone concentrated engine treatment?

Last night I finished cleaning the valve cover, vacuumed out what I saw and put the valve cover with a new gasket and called it a day. Started the van up to bring it to an area where I could wash it with CRC engine degreaser. No issues.

What should I be doing with my current fill? It's been in there for about a week but I bet it's picking up stuff that I've knocked loose. But I haven't had much run time on the fill. Just moving it around the shop to work on it.

Would a napa 31515 do the job or should I just use the NG/wix 1515?

What oils should I use? This is what I have Chevron Supreme 5W20, PYB 5W30, PP 5W30, RT6 5W40, Delo 400 15W40 and Castrol Edge 5W30 black bottle

Last edited:
With you being in Canada, I am not sure what the least expensive options would be.

I would at least stick with short filter intervals until you can see the pleats arent getting packed. Start with 1000 miles or so, cut the filter open and adjust from there. The over-sized FL1A/ 51515 options are best IMO. Same money but more filter.

Id say the oil could easily go 3-5k regardless of the filter interval.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Trav, are you talking about Rislone concentrated engine treatment?
What oils should I use? This is what I have Chevron Supreme 5W20, PYB 5W30, PP 5W30, RT6 5W40, Delo 400 15W40 and Castrol Edge 5W30 black bottle

Yes the Rislone concentrate in the yellow bottle. I would use the PYB, recent info shows it to be more than meets the eye.

Originally Posted By: Run
PYB should still be on sale for $13.88 at walmart.

Yeah I bought a whole box two weeks ago. I guess I'll use my PYB

At 1k miles a year, that engine will last 20 more years. I wouldn't do a thing to it except change the oil once a year. 3.3s are tough, even with that amount of abuse.

Don't do anything. Change the oil after the VC gasket change very soon, then do short dino intervals. Anything drastic increases risk IMO.

Here's what I got done today for the van.

New thermostat, gasket, and housing. It didn't have a good time at the indy shop before. It was a cobbled mess with RTV over the housing and seal. Does anyone know where the radiator drain valve is? I can't seem to find it. I want to get the old coolant out and put G-05 in it.

KGTqvsl.jpg

I got the van up to operating temperature twice about 15 minutes each time. Since the van has expired tags... I've been letting it do its own thing in gear on jack stands to work the engine a bit to heat everything up. Plus half a bottle of Rislone Concentrate.

Possibly change the oil too since its nice and hot to get a nice flush out effect. Will cut the filter once its all dripped out. Going to use PYB 5W30 and a Wix 51515. I also have a magnetic plug installed on the van since last week. I'll snag a few pictures to show if its bad during the oil change.

Last edited:
Here's what I got done today for the van.

New thermostat, gasket, and housing. It didn't have a good time at the indy shop before. It was a cobbled mess with RTV over the housing and seal. Does anyone know where the radiator drain valve is? I can't seem to find it. I want to get the old coolant out and put G-05 in it.

KGTqvsl.jpg

I got the van up to operating temperature twice about 15 minutes each time. Since the van has expired tags... I've been letting it do its own thing in gear on jack stands to work the engine a bit to heat everything up. Plus half a bottle of Rislone Concentrate.

Possibly change the oil too since its nice and hot to get a nice flush out effect. Will cut the filter once its all dripped out. Going to use PYB 5W30 and a Wix 51515. I also have a magnetic plug installed on the van since last week. I'll snag a few pictures to show if its bad during the oil change.

Wow, what a mess! Radiator drain plug in located at the lower left, (driver), side. Plug does not come out. Just rotate it a partial turn. There should be a short piece of tubing on the spigot. If it's missing, just push a piece of tubing on.

have fun,

Wayne

Thank you Wayne. Didn't do much with the van yesterday or today. Might do the coolant tonight. I let the oil drain over night. Refilled with PYB and put a Wix 51515 on. Not very much was on the magnetic drain plug. (best $7 spent) Wouldn't PP clean better than PYB?

Thank you Wayne. Didn't do much with the van yesterday or today. Might do the coolant tonight. I let the oil drain over night. Refilled with PYB and put a Wix 51515 on. Not very much was on the magnetic drain plug. (best $7 spent) Wouldn't PP clean better than PYB?

PP would leave less behind of its own crud formation than pyb in a long interval. Short run, no difference.

Got the coolant done tonight. I kept running water through the radiator fill until it was just water coming out. Used Zerex G-05. I found another thermostat on top of the transmission housing wedged into the power steering pump, while doing the coolant flush. At least I know its been done more than 3 times.

Just two more things left to do with the van and it should be pretty good for a while. Have to do the transmission service and replace the front blower motor resistor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back