Options, Radiator Filler Neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
So I have had the Grand Prix a few years now and the radiator cap has always been hard to get on and off. Didn't think much of it. It is a threaded type. Went and got a new one and it won't go on. I noticed the threads are a bit messed up. It is a a plastic filler neck. I cleaned up the old one, put new o-rings on it and works fine. My question is short of getting a new Raditor, (which sucks as this one is clean and has no issues)has anyone chased the threads on a plastic filler neck before? Has one anyone done anything different?

If the current cap is working, why mess with getting a whole new radiator or risk ruining the plastic threads on the current radiator? You shouldn't need to take off the cap frequently anyway unless you need to top off due to a leak.

You are right but I like to check it every couple of weeks becuase it is a 3800. It has has had the intake gaskets done but I have the OCD...Thanks submarine Navy.
smile.gif

Can you squeeze the top radiator hose hard enough to hear fluid going to your overflow tank? That would reassure you that everything was full, and, by feel, that the cap held pressure.

My go by- if a system is completely full with little to no air and the pressure cap is holding is to warm the engine and squeeze the upper radiator hose. It should be quite firm and you shouldn't hear coolant moving around.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
You are right but I like to check it every couple of weeks becuase it is a 3800. It has has had the intake gaskets done but I have the OCD...Thanks submarine Navy.
smile.gif

I have a similar GM car with that similar issue. The easiest way to check the amount of fluid in the reservoir is to find a way to put a light behind it. You really can't see though the dirty opaque reservoir any other way. It's way easier than removing that hard to remove cap.

I will just leave it then, or at least until I need a new radiator. I haven't had to add any coolant in the last 26,000 miles. Just my OCD.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back