Ramps for oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on changing the oil on my impreza for the first time this weekend. As the vehicle has a relatively low ground clearance, I was wondering if putting it on portable drive up front ramps would have a negative impact on the ability for the oil to completely drain.
The steep angle is my main concern.

Is the drain plug on the front or back of the oil pan? In my opinion, the additional amount of oil that would stay in the motor from the slight angle of the ramps is negligible. Even on perfectly level ground not all the oil drains out.

Originally Posted By: gap599
Is the drain plug on the front or back of the oil pan? In my opinion, the additional amount of oil that would stay in the motor from the slight angle of the ramps is negligible. Even on perfectly level ground not all the oil drains out.

+1

On my car, the oil plug faces the back, so if anything, it's easier for oil to drain from the back of the pan. Either way, as long as you can get the car on ramps, you will be fine changing the oil. I've been using ramps for 5+ years, the same pair actually, and it does great. Have used them to change oil in multiple vehicles. The only car I didn't use them for was a lowered car that only the floor jack could get under (yes it was that low). Use ramps and sleep sound!

Last edited:
Have you gotten down and checked it out?
On most older Subarus, you don't need to reach very far to get to the drain plug and the oil filter, so there is no need to lift the car to do the deed.
This might or might not be true of current Subies, though.
I'd advise having a look before investing in a set of ramps you may not need.
Also, you gotta tell us what oil and oil filter it's gonna get.

Personally I don't like ramps. Too much to go wrong. I know of a guy that messed up and his car ended up in the neighbors front yard, damaging his car. I have low cars, and a low oil pan. I just reach underneath. Another option is to drive up on a couple pieces of 2 by 6 boards. It adds about 3.5" clearance. JMO.

My driveway rises towards the garage so I run the car down hill onto the ramps. It still isn't completely level but it's not too bad and it wouldn't be level even if I was able to change the oil on the driveway without using ramps. Besides that, the oil pan plugs are at the rear of the pan on both of my vehicles so I might actually get more oil out because of the angle.

You can't trust the level indicated by the dipstick when the vehicle isn't level, so I add about the right amount of oil, check it for being in the right ball park while it's on the ramps and do the final check when it's level. But I have to admit the level doesn't vary all that much.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Park over a ditch and slide on in there.

It's a skinny man's suggestion.

I myself like ramps and a creeper, because I don't enjoy thorns and scorpions all that much. I inted to get a lift at some point.

Originally Posted By: Ga129
On my car, the oil plug faces the back, so if anything, it's easier for oil to drain from the back of the pan.
I think it may have been designed that way, I always seem to get more oil to drain out with the ramp then on a lift or a flat surface.

Thanks for the input. I haven't gotten down to take a look at where the drain plug is. Maybe I will get lucky and not need ramps. A Fumoto valve will also be installed. The oil filter is easily accessible on top of engine so I do not have to access it from underneath.

For those who asked, Kendall 0w20 and OEM filter will be used.

I own two floor jacks and at least three sets of jack stands, for oil changes all I'll use are ramps(have two sets of those)...

Most cars seem to have drain in rear of pan, I suspect that's to make it less likely to be damaged if you run over something out in the road...

I jack up my car then place solid wood pedestals under the tires. The pedestals are pieces of 2x4's screwed together to form a solid cube. Incredibly strong... Stronger than metal ramps.

Ramps are good to get under the car for most work that doesn't require removing the wheels. Very quick to set up, and safe.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Ramps are good to get under the car for most work that doesn't require removing the wheels. Very quick to set up, and safe.

Yeah, but you really can't use ramps by yourself.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: mk378

Says who??

I'm yet to use help when pulling or backing onto mine, bought my first set back in the '70s...

I have a set of 2x10 ramps I made for driving on to. They are three steps. On the legacy, I pull onto the second step so I have room to get the low profile jack to the crossmember. Yeah, I'm low. I then raise the front and place jack stands. (I cant pull onto RhinoRamps with this car, unless there is a block in front of the ramp, the bumper will hit the ramp.)

For the Forester (and the Discovery when I had one), I can just pull up to the third (top) level and can change without jacking/stands.

Even if I drove off the front of the "ramps" with the legacy, they are low enough to not do any damage.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

I think most people drive up on ramps unaided (myself included). Stop the vehicle about 3' back from where you'd like to have it, slide the ramps up against each tire (and inline with the direction of travel), get in the vehicle, and pull up on the ramp. Good ramps have stop blocks at the end, so you really can't overshoot it unless you try.

Vehicles with automatic transmissions are super easy to load. Crowd the brake and the throttle at the same time, and inch it up the ramp until you feel it crest the incline, back off the throttle, and let it creep forward until it hits the stop blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back