Disconnected battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barring the use of a multimeter, do you recommend one way or another to charge a battery every six weeks for say 8 hrs at a 2ampere rate?

OR

When I reconnect the battery, turn the key and THEN charge it if it doesnt crank solidly and start up?

Conditions are, probably 4-10 weeks with temps of 45-80F. Positive is untouched, just the NEG lead removed from the post.

Thanka

Battery maintainer or automatic battery charger.

Why are you "barring the use of a multimeter"?? Anyone who works on electrical systems AT ALL needs to have one.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Battery maintainer or automatic battery charger.

Why are you "barring the use of a multimeter"?? Anyone who works on electrical systems AT ALL needs to have one.
+1 make it easy and prolong the life of the battery.

If the battery is sitting for less than 6 months in a cool climate or 4 months in a warm one it shouldn't need any charging in order to start the vehicle. Self discharge on a starting battery in good condition is not that fast. If you want to make sure the battery doesn't go dead get yourself a motorcycle battery smart charger or Battery Tender and that will keep the battery at full charge. Unregulated trickle chargers are a bad idea unless you're checking voltage regularly and good chargers will cost you some money. About the same as a not-quite-junk multimeter.

You could find a chart where you can tell state of charge from resting volts with temp compensation.

Realistically, for winter storage, I store it topped up, and forget about it. The cold will keep self-discharge down.

If I'm bored around valentines day and can get at it, I'll throw a HF trickle charge on for 8 hours.

Then when it's time to wake up in spring I put a 6 amp charger on and see how long it takes the built-in ammeter to drop to around 2 amps, to signify being "mostly charged". Then I go to start it.

For bike storage, I currently have a Deltran Battery Tender. It works very well at keeping the battery topped up. I used to replace one of the lights in the garage door opener, then use a screw in outlet hooked up to a 1 amp m/c battery charger. Every time the door is opened, battery gets a couple minutes charge. Never had a problem with spring starting.

A multimeter has nothing to do with charging a battery. It is a sending tool.

Assuming the battery icon good condition, four weeks with no load at those temperatures is fairly benign. Past that is want to maintain it at least a bit, with any smart, temperature compensated charger.

I'd want to put a little charge back in before cranking the first time, if it has sat without a maintenance charge. Not doing that won't kill it, but the conduction voltage under load will be higher, which benefits everything down the line and the chemistry itself.

huh?
I don't understand the theory of what you're trying to accomplish.
You don't want to just use a smart trickle charger that's always on? Not sure why you want to cycle your charging? to have 8hrs on then 5weeks off.

I assume, this is because you already have your 2amp charger?

If you really want to have a duty cycle charging you can pick up timer. Most people use to automate their lights. You'll need to search for a weekly or yearly timer though. Most are 24hour cycles and there are some weekly timers;
It may get extremely expensive to find a yearly charger though if your cycle is longer than 1 week.
Or you'll have to get into home automation and somethign that can sync with a computer or internet to know when to turn on and off.

You have to also be sure that your charger doesn't drain the battery when it's power gets shut off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
If the battery is sitting for less than 6 months in a cool climate or 4 months in a warm one it shouldn't need any charging in order to start the vehicle. Self discharge on a starting battery in good condition is not that fast.

Agreed, I have stuff that sets around sometimes three to five months, maybe I'll recharge it after two or three months, maybe not... One battery I'm still using was 10 years old a in Sept, the other is six plus years old...

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
multimeters were free at HF just a couple of days ago. and it's not junk. reading comparable to my big one.

Agreed on this as well, dead on with a couple $400+ Simpson's I have... Yeah those were purchased some years ago and sent out for $$$ maintenance/calibration several times over the years...

I bet the HF unit will not last in commercial applications. I like my Simpson and Fluke 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back