Short Trip Driving = Oil Pan Sludge & Muck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Y_K
Originally Posted By: Oldwagon
Yes, good point I do have it backwards..

No, you don't

I would agree. If after having driven 12 miles the car sat long enough to cool down appreciably, then the 4 miles home may not be enough to rewarm it. Then it gets to sit overnight. I always prefer to make the final trip home the longest, uninterrupted one. It's not unusual for me add extra miles on a return trip to get the engine warmer. Another option instead of adding miles to the trip home is to drive it in 3rd rather than 4th/overdrive if your local roads typical flow at 35-45 mph. My car is a short tripper. It's going to end up with a lot of unused miles unless I find a way to use them.

Jeez, sometimes I'll drive 30 miles out of the way just to see the fall leaves or something. Maybe take a sunday drive to the coast on a road I've never been on. I guess I'm evil ...

Cars were made to drive. Driving can be a hobby as well as a necessity. Seeing stuff during your lifetime is good for the soul.

What about track cars and Wednesday night drags... Not all cars or trips are pure utility. Whoever is judging you because you drive should get their freaking Prius out of my way
laugh.gif

And I have a Turbo Saab that is well known for sludge build-up... I ran Syn for a while because it was in the manual. Your car is young, it can use syn too. After mine hit 125K miles, I switched it to Delo400 for the extra detergency and to quiet it down on cold start.

The sys vs dino oil thing is your call. The 3K changes are your call. I'd likely go up to 5K and keep a close eye on the valve cover (can you see in...). If any white'ish oil shows up in the fill cap, I'd be taking an hours drive to get it hot and change it. If it's always golden/brown - you're good to go. Use eyes to look for telltale signs. If none, don't sweat it.

Maybe send one OCI sample to a lab to see if the chemistry is off? If not you are prolly fine.

I do have to ask, why you don't take the long way in the AM when the temps are lower...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zach1900
I can't believe people are okay with an extra 8 mile trip just for the sake of warmer oil, if I'm ever that OCD. Kill me. I would never allow a vehicle to turn the tables on me Like that. Good GOD you're in Atlanta not Siberia.

Best answer ever.
cool.gif
Cars serve us.
I hope the OP is using a 5w-20 oil and leaving it at that. For colder operation, a 5w-20 won't thin out, staying way to thick as the engine never gets to operating temperature. Any higher viscosity rated oil will be even more thick; not good.

Well Oldwagon aren't you glad you came here for so much criticism? LOL Keep doing what you're doing, maybe use an ester based 5-20 so that its polarity helps the oil stay stuck to all the parts in the long down periods. Change no more often than once per year and maybe enjoy driving some more! Drive up to Helen, look at the leaves, rent a chalet, throw the wife in the hot tub and, live a little, do 85 (on 85?) all the way home!

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Jeez, sometimes I'll drive 30 miles out of the way just to see the fall leaves or something. Maybe take a sunday drive to the coast on a road I've never been on. I guess I'm evil ...

Cars were made to drive. Driving can be a hobby as well as a necessity. Seeing stuff during your lifetime is good for the soul.

What about track cars and Wednesday night drags... Not all cars or trips are pure utility. Whoever is judging you because you drive should get their freaking Prius out of my way
laugh.gif

And I have a Turbo Saab that is well known for sludge build-up... I ran Syn for a while because it was in the manual. Your car is young, it can use syn too. After mine hit 125K miles, I switched it to Delo400 for the extra detergency and to quiet it down on cold start.

The sys vs dino oil thing is your call. The 3K changes are your call. I'd likely go up to 5K and keep a close eye on the valve cover (can you see in...). If any white'ish oil shows up in the fill cap, I'd be taking an hours drive to get it hot and change it. If it's always golden/brown - you're good to go. Use eyes to look for telltale signs. If none, don't sweat it.

Maybe send one OCI sample to a lab to see if the chemistry is off? If not you are prolly fine.

I do have to ask, why you don't take the long way in the AM when the temps are lower...

"yes cars were made to drive".....and NOT worry if I went 4 miles or 12 miles or if my oil is totally warmed up on each drive....lol what a bunch of worry warts.

Originally Posted By: Oldwagon
I was of the same belief about oil pan sludge being a thing of the past until a northern friend with a 2006 Dodge Durango w/30K mi. experienced his oil light coming on at idle due to sludge build-up in the bottom of oil pan. He changed oil & filter as recommended. The problem was traced to 4mi. drives then a shut down for several hours, this was done several times a day, year round in northern PA.
I'm probably being apprehensive but I want to take care of my vehicle not sweep things under the rug.
Thanks for your input.

Oldwagon, Your friends 2006 Dodge Durango has the infamous 2.7L V6 . That engine had an engineering flaw. The early ones were real problematic. I personally know of 2 locally that seized in less then 80k miles. The problems were fixed in later ones.. You 3.6L V6 is an all new design and will not sludge. This engine has an oil to water cooler for the motor oil. This helps to warm the oil quickly, which prevents sludge formation.

The long and short of it, is that that engine is designed for both short trip use and long hot highway runs. Drive it in any way that pleases you.

Use any 5W-20 oil and change it by the OLM. The OLM is programed to account for such use. Just enjoy it.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

laugh.gif

"yes cars were made to drive".....and NOT worry if I went 4 miles or 12 miles or if my oil is totally warmed up on each drive....lol what a bunch of worry warts.
+1 The department of driving displeasure hasn't caught up with us yet.

I have been doing this short trips for awhile. This is my routine. Pennzoil Platinum at 5k or 1 year. I just realized with a miss on a drive down the interstate so checked plugs and carbon was built up so new plugs went in. Only 30k on plugs. Went to Plus Unleaded to try to combat the problem. Don't know how long this vehicle will last but I have 118k on it at this time. It does dry start many times as it will sit for a week or longer and not started. Have not noticed any ill effects at this time from this. Noise when cold also lightened up with couple of tanks of Super then running the Plus for last couple of months so carbon was some of noise. Just an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back