Leaking Heater Core '93 Isuzu Trooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 320,000 miles on my son in law's '93 Trooper, it has developed a leaking heater core. Coolant is dripping down the passenger side carpet area. Replacing the heater core would cost more than the trooper is worth. The transmission is shuddering and oil usage is considerable. He just wants to get a few more years out of it. It's not his daily driver. It's just his first car so he has an emotional attachment to it.

Are there any "stop leak" products that are worth trying?

Go to your local GM dealer and get some cooling System seal tabs, or Barsleak tabs, they are both the same.
These are the thing i would recommend as they will not clog the system. They are made with ginger root which when soaked expands only when exposed air. If these don't do it nothing will.

where the line goes into the firewall cut it and either block it off or plumb in a shutoff valve. You will have no heater after this but you will have no leak.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Go to your local GM dealer and get some cooling System seal tabs, or Barsleak tabs, they are both the same.
These are the thing i would recommend as they will not clog the system. They are made with ginger root which when soaked expands only when exposed air. If these don't do it nothing will.

I've had good luck with this product. It sealed an old, leaking, rusty '74 Suburban radiator for 5 years. Cheap at Napa.
61Fy5u6mq%2BL._SL1050_.jpg

My daughter needs heat. He can tough it out but daddy's girl.....

Few more YEARS? don't kid yourself.

Bypass the heater core. Get a cigarette lighter heater defroster

Lucas the transmission.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Few more YEARS? don't kid yourself.

Bypass the heater core. Get a cigarette lighter heater defroster

Lucas the transmission.

It's not a daily driver. We are believing 5 more years.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

+1 I used these on a minor leak in my Equinox and it sealed it up perfectly.

Sealed more than one radiator with the Bar's tablets especially on those pesky weeping plastic side tanks.

I managed the leaky heater on my son's beater when he was in school. I used the Bars Leak that had pellets in some sort of goop. I dosed it with a 1/2 bottle every 6 months or so. Earlier tries in other heaps had negative results using the aluminum powder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back