2015 VW PASSAT @ 20K OIL CHANGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too bad. Iron a little high but I've done the aggressive break in. Aluminum looks good for this engine.
I didn't read the directions fully, I know I know, so of course I didn't get the oil but maybe halfway warmed and took the sample pretty soon after the draining started as the foam cushion surrounding the oil pan slipped down and halfway blocked the drain hole which proceeded to shoot the oil out into a nice flat fan shape that went all over hecks half acre. Live and learn

Looks fantastic! Hardly any iron in there. We should all do 9,892 mile oil changes!
29.gif

I wonder about the thickening though. I've seen a couple other castrol llo3 reports with the same thing noted.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Merk, there are no miles on the engine. It hasn't even gotten rid of the break in metals.

Yeah I saw the twist to evidently try to make his own personal point, I'm guessing he is a 3k OCI proponent?
Regardless neither I nor Blackstone feel with the miles on the engine that the sky is falling.
The point I posted this for was two fold.
1. The tdi battle with AL, which seems to be pretty good on this sample, and this engine being the new ea288's may be trending different from the older version of the tdi.

2. This being a forum about oil, and dozens being freaked out about a "lightweight" 5w30 oil in a diesel, I wondered what is happening with the castrol pro llo3?
My sample had plenty of TBN left for a 10k oil run and at 10k it had not thinned out as expected and this has been shown in many samples of this oil and no one, especially those whom feel that a 5w30 would fall apart aren't concerned what is going on?

Oh well we'll see in another 10k.

I used the Castrol llo3 on my last fill in my '13 Golf TDI and blackstone also mentioned the thickening. I switched to M1 ESP to see if it does something similar on my next UOA.

Originally Posted By: dbias
Yeah I saw the twist to evidently try to make his own personal point, I'm guessing he is a 3k OCI proponent?

That's an extended OCI for him.
wink.gif
As for 5w-30 in a diesel, as long as it's the appropriately specified 5w-30, it's certainly not a problem.

When It comes to the iron, I notice a wide difference btwn the FE and the molybdenum. Molybdenum comes from cast iron and stainless does it not? In most other cases where FE is high so is the molybdenum. Not here though. FE is high and molybdenum is 1?

Most of the times, the moly we see in a UOA would be from an oil additive or assembly lube. To be honest, I'm surprised it's not higher in your example, but not anything with moly content in the engine. While your oil choice may have had no moly, I would have expected some residual from the assembly lube, unless they're not using a moly assembly lube for VWs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back