Silkolene Identifies Base Oils Used in 4T Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I contacted the uk rep to find out more about 300V here is what the outcome was

- the labelling has changed from double ester to ester core, better technology (or marketing rewording? but without understanding the chemistry involved, I cannot comment!)

- the oil is designed to be used for racing bikes

- the oil is designed to be used in road bikes for road use while keeping the maker's oil change interval

- it provides higher protection than 7100 but in their opinion this is not needed and OTT for road use

- POA is used in the oil composition to complement ester

- 7100 provides all the protection needed for road use and is much cheaper

Now for road use, I expect majority of people stick to the oil change interval which is typically between 6~8 kmiles. Some do it more frequently some less!

For me a good oil is how well it has kept its performance and spec over this period. I know high temperatures is a VI killer. A lot of bikes get very hot when in traffic or in summer temperatures.

So for me even if 300V is OTT for road use, I will still go for it is it keeps its integrity better over the oil change interval

I would think another valid approach would be to use the cheaper oil and if in doubt, change it more often

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Most likely 'Over The Top'.

that's right you got it

an excellent informative post for sure! i have been looking into silkolene 15-50 oils + in fact ordered the pro 4 15-50 @ $10 per litre del on e-bay. i was looking to identify the base oils as i prefer PAO + Ester oils but found this post a little late i will see how the pro 4 works for me. yes i am not talking 5-40 but looking at formulations. my just purchased 2016 bmw g650gs thumper specs 15-50 API SJ/JASO MA2 oil, additives aka moly not permitted. a member here had the virgin spec oil analyzed + posted a 155 for moly! a little but there! on the MA MA2 discussion i seen comparisons of specs the ma started lower but both MA + MA2 max friction specs could be the same. so it seems beside the more cat friendliness the top clutch friction spec can be the same!!! i am always looking to learn + do not mind being corrected. the oil formulations take time to find + i appreciate all that i learn on BITOG

been lookin on the silkolene site for specs on the 15-50 pro xp motorcycle oil, am i missing it or is it not there, help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back