Ultra vs. Mobil 1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I transitioned from Penn Platinum 5W-30 last year when I went off ext. warranty Toyota 4runner 2007 V8.

Ran one full year on Mobil EP with Mobil top of the line oil filter, forgot the name.

Anyway, oil was great, protection in heat of summer and dead cold Colorado winters.

Feels good only changing 7 qts of oil 1X a year!

I'm sure the Ultra is good but couldn't find any at the time out here when transitioned oils.

The EP bought on sale and with rebates from factory coupled with 1X a year oil change... the EP is a winner for me.

I'd go with EP here. Since the '06 Impala's OLM is calibrated for basic SM conventional oil, go 1.5x the OLM on M1 EP or M1 0w-40. Saves money/time that way. And use a Fram Ultra to beat the M1 oil filter.

I can find absolutely no reason to not follow the OLM at a minimum ... Oil's cheap, even at $35/jug. Engines are not ... And the labor to pull one and rebuild it is a week I'd rather be doing something else. If the oil is overkill, good - that just means less wear and longer engine life.

The OLM is there to help folks look at everything and check the boxes for a service. That is not just "oil". Extending means not looking for longer... That's the way things get overlooked and bad things happen late at night en route to a family crisis or something.

Crawl all over, around and through that car every 6 months. Change the wiper blades in Oct. Put on snow tires if you need to. And change the oil/filter while you are at it. The OLM may not come on, but your time and life schedule dictate when things get done, not the car. Who's the servant and who's the master here...

And the money "saved" by extending is less than the price of one steak dinner at Outback one evening with the wife, or a McDonalds drive through for the fam ...

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Originally Posted By: buster
M1 AFE Noack is 10% (EP probably lower being it has significantly more PAO)
M1 0w40 is 8%
M1 EP 5w30 is 8.5%.

Most of the Ultra oils are all above 11% I believe.

Where did you get the M1 numbers? I don't see them published? Not that I don't believe you. Thanks,

robert

PQIA for AFE and Amsoil white paper for M1 EP 5w30.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
M1 AFE Noack is 10% (EP probably lower being it has significantly more PAO)
M1 0w40 is 8%
M1 EP 5w30 is 8.5%.

Most of the Ultra oils are all above 11% I believe.

Where did you get the M1 numbers? I don't see them published? Not that I don't believe you. Thanks,

robert

PQIA for AFE and Amsoil white paper for M1 EP 5w30.

What weight was that last gen Ultra that had a ridiculously low NOACK number?

Originally Posted By: Branson304
...I think Ultra Platinum is a waste of money over Platinum, period...

Because I'm a cheap skate, I won't pay above Walmart prices for any oil. On Walmart's website, they have Platinum and Ultra Platinum in the same 5 quart jugs for the same amount (as of 23 July 2016). And, Pennzoil's rebates appear to be the same for both oils. However, Ultra spends most of its time "out of stock."

So, it's not a waste of money over Platinum, but you do have to put a little more effort into it.

If you OLM tripped before 7,500 miles, don't bother with the above two selections and just use regular M1 or PP full synthetic.

M1 seems to publish that info on their site..Pennzoil however makes it harder to see their numbers and the only thing i found Pennzoil wise was from 2014
That is reason number 4 why we switched to Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back