Thoughts on Costco bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure! Great Starter bike.
wink.gif

Seems like a decent set up for three bills. Word of caution, though. A lot of the expense "built in" to entry level bikes from an actual bike shop isn't in the bike, specs or hardware. Its the quality assembly, warranty and customer support the shop offers along with the bike.

Support your LBS! :-D

It's all in the assembly and tune. You're 50 bucks away from a similarly equipped but properly setup bike from a local bike shop. It would be money well spent.

That being said that bike would do the riding you want well.

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy a department store bike.

Spend extra $50 or $100, buy a decent bike lasts much longer, and support local bike shop. You'll also get free tune ups for the first year(s), even some bike shops offer lifetime free tune-ups for the first owner.

I would recommend this

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/escape.2/22180/83980/

That was my first "starter" bike, I've put about 850 miles on it then sold it to a friend, he's put about 600-650 miles (1500 miles total). He's going to replace the cassette and chain next year, it costs around $30. So it's cheap and reliable.

Hmm, I do like the idea of having a shop setup and adjust everything. Local bike shop has 3 models for $500. Trek 7.2 FX, Trek Verve 2, Specialized Crossroads Sport.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
If you get the Costco bike a local bike shop should tune it properly for you. Maybe another $50.00

Yes, but you'd visit the bike shop more frequently, because of [censored] components and poor quality.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Hmm, I do like the idea of having a shop setup and adjust everything. Local bike shop has 3 models for $500. Trek 7.2 FX, Trek Verve 2, Specialized Crossroads Sport.

I'd pick 7.2 FX. Great entry level hybrid bike.

I bought Escape 2 because it comes with the aluminum fork. It's slightly lighter than the 7.2 FX.

See if they'd order you a trek 7.1 or 7.0 if cost is a concern, co worker who also commutes has one he paid 380 for and its held up well.

I'm partial to trek being from wi but the service is more important than the brand by a big margin.

This may come off as a little harsh, and for that I am sorry, but...............

Can anyone fix things anymore??

This is a bike, not a BMW 750iL!!

This is BITOG, where I thought folks know how to do things.

I got my paperboy route at age 14 (1958). My bike was my livelihood. If it didn't run, I was out of a job. It always ran, 7 days a week, in harsh Midwest weather. I later bought a spare, just in case.

But by age 11 or 12 I (and all my friends) knew how to fix a flat, fix a chain, adjust brakes and shift cables, true a tire - I still have my original spoke tool all these years later, adjust wheel and crank bearings - learn by feel - not too tight, not too loose, etc.

Bikes have not changed much, really.

It seems to be a sign of the times that too many want someone else to fix their stuff - often very simple jobs. And then complain about the cost, or junk it and buy another.

That is a good Costco deal. Buy it. Buy a book on basic bike repair and learn it yourself - it is easy. Or I'm sure the internet is full of info.

Last edited:
You could name anything from a toaster to a tire and I could say 'yea...but for $50 more.' Looks like a nice bike for its intended purpose. You did say a starter bike. If the day comes and you're really enjoying it you can upgrade, and pass your bike along to someone else who would enjoy it.

Diamondback has been making bikes a long time. Some of them are actually very good bikes. This model is definitely a starter bike and is at the bottom of the Diamondback line in terms of frame, materials, and component group. That doesn't make it a bad bike at all....just not a higher end model. It would probably work just fine for your intended needs. I would be careful going off road with it as it's tires/rims are not really suited for anything other than smoother dirt roads or paths.

The price is good...no doubt about that. The trouble of buying from Costco is fitting the bike and coming back for repairs and adjustments. While to some folks this is trivial, as they know how to do it and have the tools...to the average person the time invested in all that is not always available or even cost effective. Real bike shops are a great place to buy a bike, get good advice, accessories, repairs/adjustments, and basically just become part of a cycling community. Of course, buying the bike at Costco doesn't mean you can't then go to a bike shop from that point forward...after all, Costco has no such capability. The thing I would consider doing is taking a printout of this Costco add to a real bike dealer and ask them if they can match it with a bike that is about equal (or better) in price and quality. They just might be able to come close.

I would not consider a new $300 bike. It simply won't be any good. I'd rather buy a used bike for maybe $500. There are always people unloading pretty new and perfectly good bikes, because they are "upgrading." That means plenty opportunities for you.

I bought my "base" model Raleigh 21 speed road bike 10 years ago for $440 from a bike shop. Have about 10,000 miles on it now on the original gears, brakes, wheels, pedals. Never had a single tune up. Paint is still very nice. It's pretty much time for a complete overhaul...or just buy a new bike? For most of us, we don't need top of the line, whether used or new....for biking on nice roads. I'd rather buy a new bike in the $300-$450 if it's a good value. I've looked for those hardly-used, almost new bikes from people who had big plans, but rarely used them. They are hard to find. And those people tend to want a lot more than they are worth. I've been looking for nice used road or hydrid bikes in my area for $150-$250 and just can't find them. Good luck finding a $650-$1,000 bike for $150-$400 used. If they are that low, they tend to be trashed.

I wouldn't pay $300 for a Costco bike when I can get the same thing properly tuned and serviced at a bike shop for $350. Trek, Diamondback, Giant, etc. are all decent names.

Well I bought the Costco bike, it'll be here Tuesday. If it turns out to be a dud, I'll just take it back.

Now any suggestions on a helmet?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Well I bought the Costco bike, it'll be here Tuesday. If it turns out to be a dud, I'll just take it back.

Now any suggestions on a helmet?

Old saying:

"If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet"

Originally Posted By: user52165

Old saying:

"If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet"

You've read my posts, I have a ten cent brain here to protect!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back