7.3psd Supertech sae30/purolator 6k any interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Michigan born but my heart belongs in dixie
97 F250HD 7.3/auto/4.10/2x4 204,500.

I just dumped a 6k fill of ST all fleet sae30 and a Purolator.

This enge uses no oil, but 4qts were added.
If you know 7.3's, you know they lie to hover near or at the add line(2qts low).
Every third/fourth fuel fill up, I add 1qt to freshen up oil, 15gal burn of fuel later back to add line.
First 3qts was same as fill, last quart was M1 ep 0w-20. I know but it was to drop pour point and it is cf-rated.

Even blend of light towing, hwy, and short trips. Idle at start, turbo down, no cold crank and go's.

I am wondering if there's any interest in a uoa w/ tan, TBN, ect.

Harvey

I would love to see it. I worked for an equipment rental company in the SF bay area that put DELO 400 straight 30 in all their equipment,Ford vans 3 class 8 vehicles and the forklifts, sweepers and what else they serviced.

sae30 was the preferred above 32F for years, upto 1995model year. Yes that includes two years of powerstroke production.
I have used sae30 for 15years in diesels, summer or heated service only.
Never done a uoa, thought it was time.

I plan to hand of sample after thanksgiving. I am probably gonna go thru cat sos via a close friend son. He is a GM for a local cat operation.

Thanks for the interest.
Harvey

I'm trying to figure out your oil consumption from your 1st post. You add 1 quart every 3 or 4 fuel fills, which would be about 1,200 miles. Your truck is 18 years old with 204,000 miles on it. The last oil you added was 0W20 synthetic.
I'll take a wild guess, your [email protected] without fuel dilution, your [email protected] and additives good for another several thousand miles.

I'd like to see the UOA, but I bet it's boring as heck. Straight 30 weight is a fine choice in warmer weather for your PSD. Not my first choice for upcoming winter, especially in Michigan.

It probably actually would, Chris, in the 1987, unless there were a specific recommendation against monogrades. Monogrades surprassing CE are common, and the HTHS will be there. Obviously, one would have to watch ambient temperatures. I wouldn't go the monograde route in a million years, but that doesn't mean it's totally out of the question, even from a specification standpoint.

If a monograde were prohibited in the 1987, it's probably more due to the fact that some people can't use common sense and would grumble about trying to start a diesel with SAE in a Saskatchewan January.

Garak; Are you ready to take "The BITOG Mono-grade Challenge"? Not "in a million years"? I'll send you 10L of 1330 or 1340, a filter for your G37 and pay for a UOA. Put the oil in your engine March 21st, 2016 and drain it at 12,000km no later than Oct 21st, 2016. You can pick the oil up at your Imperial Oil bulk dealer.

To Infinity and beyond.

Last edited:
And I must park it outside, use no oil pan heater, and never use the block heater, right?
wink.gif
I did find a 10w monograde in a shop not the long ago. I'm not in a rush to try it, either.

MSN Regina weather shows above -3c for night time lows in the time frame March 21-Oct 21. I'll guess 1330 is actually a 20W30. If you want to try the Delo 400 15W30 instead, that can be arraigned.

To Infinity And Beyond.

Originally Posted By: Garak
And I must park it outside, use no oil pan heater, and never use the block heater, right?
wink.gif
I did find a 10w monograde in a shop not the long ago. I'm not in a rush to try it, either.

I used to park my OM621 diesel with Delo 100 sae 30 wt in -35 C for weeks at a time and I could start it. Over 300,000 miles with this oil and no problems at all. Still running my Detroit 4-53T on the same oil, but this engine will not start below -15 C without a block heater. Great oil, but going to try upgrading to Amsoil AME 15W40 now? I haven't changed yet but will soon.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
I'd like to see the UOA, but I bet it's boring as heck. Straight 30 weight is a fine choice in warmer weather for your PSD. Not my first choice for upcoming winter, especially in Michigan.
Been to Michigan about 40 years ago . i remember the winters are brisk.

Originally Posted By: A310
I used to park my OM621 diesel with Delo 100 sae 30 wt in -35 C for weeks at a time and I could start it.

Well, that's just not my idea of a good time.
wink.gif
We do have multigrades for a reason, after all. I have started carbed vehicles in -40 with 10w-30, with no problems. It wasn't a good idea, either.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Just switch to a 10w-30 and your consumption should all but disappear.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Just switch to a 10w-30 and your consumption should all but disappear.

01.gif

How so?

If its not leaking out somewhere than it has to be going by the rings when cold. 30 wt is just plain too thick at start-up to effectively do its job, which is why 10w-30 was developed, along with all of the other multi-grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back