2015 Audi A3 2.0 Quattro recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to the forum, and while I've done all our oil changes for quite some time, I now realize I have much to learn about engine oil. I have a few questions for the experts, but first a little more info. My wife is the primary driver. She likes to drive fast (road conditions permitting), but I would say she isn't hard on the car. Driving is 50/50 highway/city. Ambient conditions in the winter get as low as -20*f but the car is garaged, so it seldom has an extended cold soak. The manufacturer recommends 10k OCI with Castrol Edge 5W-40.

1. This is my first turbo motor. Given winter conditions for half the year, would you stay with 10k interval or use 5k?

2. Due to occasional cold (-20*f) starting conditions, would you recommend Castrol Edge 0W-40 vs 5W-40 (it still meets VW 502 00 spec)?

3. Castrol 0W-40 is less expensive to acquire vs. 5W-40 ($23/5 qt vs $6/1 qt). Is there any adverse effects with switching to 0w-40 year round?

If it were my car, I'd change the oil and filter in April and October in that climate.

Since Castrol 0W-40 meets ACEA A3 and VW 502 it should be fine.

Originally Posted By: ak737pilot
Is there any adverse effects with switching to 0w-40 year round?

If it meets the specifications you require, it is the preferred choice, for a few reasons. Follow the oil life monitor (OLM)or the manual's interval and rest easy. Your price on the 0w-40 is very good. Castrol 5w-40 would work, but personally, I'd prefer the Castrol 0w-40.

I agree totally w/the post by BRZED. I own a 2.5L Golf and even though I don't put alot of miles on per yr., I change the oil myself in Nov. (leave the filter alone) and have the VW dealer do the oil/filter/state inspection in April. I have a very short drive to work and back. Used Castrol (German) 0w-30 the last few oil changes. IMO, much better oil than the Castrol 5w-40. The last oil change used Castrol 0w-40 (made in Germany) and it is SUPERB oil. My engine has never ran so smooth. (I have Valvoline MST/Pennzoil Euro Formula in the waiting as I don't have any Castrol left. Debating which will be next? Or may continue to buy/use the GC 0w-40.)

1. This is my first turbo motor. Given winter conditions for half the year, would you stay with 10k interval or use 5k?

How long does it take her to accumulate 10K miles?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

How long does it take her to accumulate 10K miles?

We put the car in service in April, and it currently has 9000 miles. The first oil change was at the dealer at 5000 miles, so I'm about 2-3 weeks out from doing the first oil change myself.

I would use Castrol Edge 0W-40. Follow the oil life monitor if the vehicle is equipped with one, I'm sure it is. Otherwise follow the owner's manual.

We put the car in service in April, and it currently has 9000 miles.

So about 15K miles/year, if you extrapolate?

In that case, I think I'd just stick to 10K OCI.

You've got a nearly 6qt sump, so it should be OK, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back