Where have Anco wiper blades gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when you could go into any retailer that sold wiper blades and find Anco blades. Now, nobody sells them. Wal-Mart used to sell them (and don't tell me the store brand ones they sell now are made by Anco because I don't believe it...Anco blades work, Wal-Mart's are junk). I've been to Advance Auto, Pep Boys, Napa, AutoZone, Carquest, and none of these places carry them anymore. They can't even order them. I love their blades as they were always reasonably priced, and they worked as well, or better than any of the others. Why have all of the retailers stopped selling them?

That's a good question. I like them too. We used them on commercial 18 wheeled trucks and they would last as long as anything else more expensive, maybe even better.

The Walmart Supertech blades are indeed reboxed Anco 31-series. On the package it says Federal-Mogul (parent company of Anco) and Made in Mexico (just like the name-brand Anco), and the ST blades came out just as Walmart stopped selling Anco brand.

I can still find them at a few places around my town, but you are right Grampi, they are becoming only a memory of their glorious past.

ANCO is an excellent example of U.S. companies that have been driven into the ground after it's industrious owner passed away. From http://www.citybythelake.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4733&mode=threaded&pid=36365

1918: The Anderson Company was founded by John W. Anderson in Gary, IN
1967: John W. Anderson passed away in 1967. The Anderson Company had been set up as a trust when he passed away.
1977: The federal government said that ten years was the maximum that ANCO could be operated as a Trust. It was then put on the market.
1978: Champion Spark Plug purchased The Anderson Company. John W. Anderson was inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame
1980: A claim was filed with the Federal Trade Commission that Champion's 1978 purchase of The Anderson Company violated anti-trust laws and would create a monopoly if Champion was allowed to continue to own ANCO.
1983: On May 19, 1983 the Federal Trade Commission's anti-trust claim was denied and Champion was allowed to keep ANCO.
1984: Champion consolidated its Gary, Valparaiso and Burns Harbor ANCO Windshield Wiper plants and located it's operations to 402 Royal Rd. Michigan City, IN
1989: Cooper Industries purchased Champion and all it's subsidiaries (including ANCO) (a bidding war between Cooper and Dana Corp)
1993: Gereral Motors announced that it will no longer purchase it's original equipment ANCO wiper arms from Cooper and instead buy them from ANCO's long time competitor TRICO. This announcement essentially put ANCO for the most part out of the original equipment windshield wiper manufacturing business. ANCO was forced to layoff 300 workers from it's Michigan City plant as a result. ANCO's main focus was then shifted to it's aftermarket windshield wiper blade sales
1998: In April of 1998 Cooper announced that it would sell its automotive products division.
1998: In August of 1998 Federal-Mogul then purchased Coopers Automotive division. Federal Mogul CEO **** Snell had a big plan to spend lots of money and acquire as many companies as he can and the process Federal Mogul purchased several of companies in the United Kingdom that held multiple asbestos liability litigation claims against them
2000: On March 5, 2000 Federal-Mogul announced it was going to relocate ANCO's assembly, finishing and packaging operations to Juarez, Mexico but continued to manufacture it's aftermarket wiper components in Michigan City and export them to Juarez. ANCO laid off an additional 600 workers in Michigan City.
2002: Due to it's massive Asbestos Liability Litigation Payout in the United Kingdom Federal-Mogul was forced to file chapter 11 bankruptcy. CEO **** Snell was let go from Federal-Mogul but still collected a paycheck for quite sometime. During this time ANCO continued to gradually lay off workers from it's Michigan City facility
2008: Federal-Mogul emerged from chapter 11 bankruptcy. ANCO still gradually continued to lay off workers from it's Michigan City facility (including myself) as overseas distributors began to infiltrate and subsequently devour ANCO's retail aftermarket windshield wiper share
2012: Federal-Mogul announced that it will cease operations at it's Michigan City facility at years end and will relocate it's remaining operations to Juarez, Mexico ending 95 years of Windshield Wiper manufacturing in Northwest Indiana
2013: John W. Anderson will roll over in his grave for the 100,000th time

My dad worked for the Anderson Company in Gary. "Old Man Anderson" took my teenage dad under his wing when he arrived from war torn Europe in the late 40's. I have pictures of them together. It was a good non-union place to work. One of my favorite stories is when (under-represented?)minority citizens were picketing the Gary plant and Mr. Anderson sent all of their minority employees (janitors to executives) outdoors to wash the windows. Imagine that happening today
crazy2.gif

I've never found aftermarket wiper blades to be very good. I get OEM blades, they cost a little more, but they seem to work a lot better.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Walmart Supertech blades are indeed reboxed Anco 31-series. On the package it says Federal-Mogul (parent company of Anco) and Made in Mexico (just like the name-brand Anco), and the ST blades came out just as Walmart stopped selling Anco brand.

I knew someone was going to say this...they may be packaged by Anco, but I don't believe they're made by Anco...Ancos always worked well for me, these wipers from Walmart don't work worth a darn...

I get my Anco wipers from a heavy duty truck parts place. They're better than what Canadian tire sells and much cheaper. Since I have an account at the parts place I can get them for about 6 dollars.

Originally Posted By: grampi

I knew someone was going to say this...they may be packaged by Anco, but I don't believe they're made by Anco...Ancos always worked well for me, these wipers from Walmart don't work worth a darn...

Probably made to cost point just like every other Walmart brand cheap product. No doubt products like Supertech oil are the same deal.

Sadly, I've stopped using Anco blades after close to 40 years, though I'll never get rid of the chrome Anco OEM wipers that Chrysler installed on my '66 Polara (back in the days when yo just replaced the rubber refill and not the whole assembly- what a waste for the sake of convenience!). Unless I order online thes dauys, I generally have to buy a complete blade of the same length and strip out the refill, but I'll do it to keep the bright blades with the big chrome aero "wing" that works better than any beam blade could dream of working.

Its RainX Fusion blades for me most of the time, now. I did buy a set of Trico blades for the pickup a few weeks back- we'll see how they hold up in the long run.

Same instructions as Anco 31 series too on the back of SuperTech boxes. The SuperTech 16 inch set I just bought for $5.82 out the door work just fine. If they don't last past 90 days, then I will just take them back to Walmart, and get my money back. I buy groceries there, so it's not a problem for me to return them.

Last edited:
Searched my area from the Anco website, and the only places that carry them are big truck repair/parts. Use to be in a lot of the stores in my area. Just never noticed it until now. I wonder what is going on with Anco. I have a feeling they are making some store brands now like AAP KleenView, NAPA store brand, and etc.

Last edited:
Yes, the SuperTech wipers are made by Anco and no, they probably aren't as good as their 'name brand' stuff.

Every full service gas station I had a pleasure to know, had that Anco (by Anderson) wiper blade hand truck.

230602_10.jpg

Ever since "Full Serivce Islands" are a thing of the past, so has Anco....

Perhaps they're not the Anco 31-series any longer. Anco does have another "no-name" blade below that, and Walmart might have gone for that one, instead. They look almost the same, but are much cheaper. Which do you think Walmart would choose?

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Probably made to cost point just like every other Walmart brand cheap product. No doubt products like Supertech oil are the same deal.

I wouldn't say that. I'd be willing to bet Supertech oil comes from one of the major brands, it's just bottled as the store brand...in fact, I believe all store brand oils come from one of the major brand oil companies...

If supertech blades suck, it is probably because they are made by anco ...

We get genuine anco blades at work. And they genuinely stink. They are fine when new but after 6mo. They are shot.

Trico are marginally better. At least the arms are metal instead of brittle plastic, giving you at least a fighting chance of surviving an ice storm. But I haven't used trico in years.

The lower level Bosch were always a gem, but they have gone to pot now too.

The rain-x at WalMart are garbage too. The metal arms rusted right away and the rubber was peeling before the winter was over.

The only wipers I've found worth buying are the top end Bosch (icon+?) Spendy, but I'm going into winter #2 on the same blades streak free on both daily drivers.

All the others lasted one season or less .... Junk.

YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back