Jump starter worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for opinions on whether it's worth it to buy a jump starter to keep in the trunk, in case the car won't start and no vehicles are around to use jumper cables. Never had a jump starter, but had a late friend (who drove older vehicles) who said he used his several times. With winter coming, I got to thinking it might not be a bad idea.

OTOH, I've got high-quality jumper cables, a AAA Plus card and cell phone, live near civilization and seldom go 'way' out in the boonies these days, keep emergency supplies in the trunk, plus am in decent shape for my age and until last year I would have said winters here, while bad at times, do not bring life-threatening cold.

Anyone keep one of these things in your vehicle? Any advice on brands or models? Thanks.

Why not a new battery and cables and keep up on the charging systems operation.

Originally Posted By: CT8

+1.

Cheap LiPo units are a fire waiting to happen, and a quality SLA is $$. Listen to CT8.

Originally Posted By: faramir9
L
C
OTOH, I've got high-quality jumper cables, a AAA Plus card and cell phone, live near civilization and seldom go 'way' out in the boonies these days, keep emergency supplies in the trunk, plus am in decent shape for my age and until last year I would have said winters here, while bad at times, do not bring life-threatening cold.

I think you answered your own question.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

+1.

Cheap LiPo units are a fire waiting to happen, and a quality SLA is $$. Listen to CT8.

+2

For the cost of a jumper box, you can just buy a new battery.

A jump box is a nice thing to have if you have a mini-fleet of vehicles, plus numerous relatives' cars to help out with, but it needs to be kept charged, and it also is good if you have a boat that might need it as well-can't drive the truck onto the water to jump start it! I have a Clore Automotive JNC-660, came from Amazon on sale, I use it to run my utility trailer winch too.

I bought the Costco jump starter with the air compressor built in. My son and I use the compressor quite often to pump up bicycle and car tires. I've used the jump starter twice to help stranded friends out. I've never used the jump starter on my own vehicles but always have it ready.

Because **** happens.

What if you leave your lights on? Nevermind, I know the answer, everyone on this website is 100% perfect 100% of the time, so they would never ever ever ever leave their lights on ever.

A jump starter left in the truck will not get charged, nor will it be toasty warm both of which are needed when your own car battery is not up to the task.

I have one (with SLA battery) but its in my house not vehicle.

I keep one in the car during winter. I haven't had to use it myself but I have used it to help others a few times. It's a lot more convenient than traditional jump starting.

I think the crux of it is not if the battery is new or old but is there a circumstance where this makes sense ( wife travels regularly - is 300 miles from home suddenly with a drained battery )?? If it's just you, I would agree that you probably answered your own question.

A "jump starter" is multiple things in today's world including the newer electronics glove box units (8"x8") that run in the $100 range. From what I've seen, these do a decent job of starting a drained battery. I believe Black and Decker has a small consumer unit for around $40 but I'd probably research and spend more if you wanted to go that route.

I was going to ask about this -- spotted the Halo Bolt charger being hawked on QVC or one of the 25 other selling channels on basic cable. It sounded great as long as you keep it charged. Apparently, too, it can be used to charge your phone and other devices. Would it come under the heading of "Worth Having"?

The nice thing about the jump boxes is I don't have to say NO to someone and can instead have them hook up the jump box backwards so not to destroy my vehicle.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
How long do these actually retain a charge. Eg do you have to "top" it off every so often?

I have one like this. It definitely needs to be charged occasionally to keep it at full charge. In the winter I try to charge it once a month but you could probably get buy charging it quarterly.

PSX2_large.png

Last edited:
I have one, and have found it quite useful on numerous occasions. I don't carry it in a vehicle as a rule, but I do bring it when I am hauling the trailer, mostly because it is easier to power the compressor to fill the trailer tires.

It is easier to use it when called upon to jump start someone else's vehicle, and I have used it a couple of times when my wife has left a door ajar, killing a battery.

My only complaint is that they do not seem to last as long as I think they should. I have had one fail in its circuitry, and another had a short battery life, despite keeping it topped up.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
I have one, and have found it quite useful on numerous occasions. I don't carry it in a vehicle as a rule, but I do bring it when I am hauling the trailer, mostly because it is easier to power the compressor to fill the trailer tires.

It is easier to use it when called upon to jump start someone else's vehicle, and I have used it a couple of times when my wife has left a door ajar, killing a battery.

My only complaint is that they do not seem to last as long as I think they should. I have had one fail in its circuitry, and another had a short battery life, despite keeping it topped up.

And then there is how do you test one besides checking the voltage.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I am shopping around and might get one if a great deal pops up. Otherwise, will carry on as before....

I bought a Boltpower G06 jump starter a few months ago. No, I never saw it on QVC as I've never seen that program. I charge it every few months or so. My OEM battery is in great shape according to my Optimate6 but just in case….

Dan

My elderly neighbor no longer drives a car so back in August he gave me his $65 unit (450 amps?). I figured he hadn't touched it for months. Boy, was I surprised when I plugged it in & the battery light indicated fully charged. I floated for a few hours any ways. I checked it just 2 weeks ago and it was still fully charged....or that light always stays on...lol. Seems like a good thing to have around. Weight about 10-15 lbs. The clamps/cables were very stout.

The irony of this all? My neighbor saw a pocket-phone sized car battery "charger" on HSN for $35. They said it worked so it must be true, right? He figured what a great gift for someone out in the boodocks. I looked at the thing and couldn't figure out how a digital power pack with at most 100 amps potential at 12v for milliseconds could charge any discharged car battery. I don't know if that could even recharge a dead cell phone...lol. After we argued for a bit I gave him his original battery charger back to show him what it really took to recharge a battery (ie 15 lbs. vs. 4 oz.). Now I no longer have a battery jumper charger....lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back