EPA: VW Guilty of Second Violation for V-6 Diesels

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter how we feel about the EPA, all automakers play by the same rules. The constant trashing of the EPA doesn't change that one company tried to circumvent those rules while others played by the books. No matter how restrictive the rules may be.

From the USA Today article:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/11/02/epa-diesel-suv-volkswagen-audi-porsche/75044132/

""We have clear evidence of these additional violations and we thought it was important to put Volkswagen on notice and to inform the public," Cynthia Giles, assistant administrator for EPA's Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance, told reporters on a conference call.

The EPA, California Air Resources Board and Environment Canada discovered the additional cheating while testing Volkswagen's vehicles. They have found nothing similar while conducting tests of other car companies.

Volkswagen engineers took a sneaky approach when fitting these vehicles with the "defeat device" software, the EPA alleged.

When the vehicles are undergoing federal emissions tests, software activates a "temperature conditioning mode" to fool regulators, Giles told reporters.

"At exactly one second after the completion" of those tests, Giles said, the vehicles flip back into "normal mode" and continue emitting nitrogen oxides are high levels."

Originally Posted By: wemay
No matter how we feel about the EPA, all automakers play by the same rules. The constant trashing of the EPA doesn't change that one company tried to circumvent those rules while others played by the books. No matter how restrictive the rules may be.

We think, right. I'd assume the EPA will change the testing based on what they have learned from this. We'll see if anybody else gets snagged. Diesel or gasoline.

Yeah, looks like it's only the very limited 1.4L gasoline engine. The majority being diesels.

From your link:
Quote:
The 1.4-liter, 1.6-liter and 2-liter TDI diesel engines account for the vast majority of affected cars. The only gasoline engine is a 1.4-liter version with cylinder head shutdown, but the number of those cars “is very limited,” the spokesman said.

Thanks for the update QP.

Going back to the original subject of this thread though (3.0 V6 TDI engines), all V6 TDIs have now been removed from audiusa.com configurator. I guess they are anticipating a "stop sales" order until this whole issue is fully investigated and addressed.

Porsche has already put a "stop sale" order on Cayenne diesel with a variant of this engine.

Quote:
Porsche Cars North America, Inc. today decided, in view of the unexpected U.S. EPA notice received yesterday, to voluntarily discontinue sales of model year 2014 through 2016 Porsche Cayenne Diesel vehicles until further notice. We are working intensively to resolve this matter as soon as possible. Customers may continue to operate their vehicles normally.

Strangely, the Touareg TDI is still available on vw.com.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I saw a school bus today that I thought was on fire at first. Nope probably just a cracked egr cooler. Never seen so much white smoke before. I see that a lot. Funny how the old clunker 30 year old diesel school buses my district still has here and there are still tooting along just fine. Frequently saw 6.4 powerstrokes blow white smoke, but you don't see many of those on the road anymore.

A friend of the family works for the local school bus company. He said they have been keeping a lot of the older busses around because they are much cheaper to run. He has had the mechanics do a few engine rebuilds on the higher mileage 7.3s, and that was cheaper than the problems they have had with the newer ones. The newer ones are more expensive to fix, and seem less reliable. At first the drivers liked the newer models because they had more comfort features and power, but after a few breakdowns they wanted the old ones back.

The EPA has learned alot from that plane crash in the Andes. If you starve people of what they really want, they'll take anything left over.

They know the electric car (which makes no sense at all) has zero chance of ever making it while the spectre of clean diesels hangs over its head.

It's a simple thing called sabotage. The coal industry is being sabotaged so that no one can claim that electric cars are just a big Ponzi scheme in which they are ultimately powered by fossil fuels. The diesel market is being sabotaged because it's a superior technology on an existing network.

EPA says you better figure out how to make electricity out of nothing, or go [censored].

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I saw a school bus today that I thought was on fire at first. Nope probably just a cracked egr cooler. Never seen so much white smoke before. I see that a lot. Funny how the old clunker 30 year old diesel school buses my district still has here and there are still tooting along just fine. Frequently saw 6.4 powerstrokes blow white smoke, but you don't see many of those on the road anymore.

Ever seen a DPF regen cook off? I see them everyday from commercial semi trucks. Lot's of white smoke and the nastiest smell. I would prefer they blew soot. I would bet you were witnessing a DPF regen cycle.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The EPA has learned alot from that plane crash in the Andes. If you starve people of what they really want, they'll take anything left over.

They know the electric car (which makes no sense at all) has zero chance of ever making it while the spectre of clean diesels hangs over its head.

It's a simple thing called sabotage. The coal industry is being sabotaged so that no one can claim that electric cars are just a big Ponzi scheme in which they are ultimately powered by fossil fuels. The diesel market is being sabotaged because it's a superior technology on an existing network.

EPA says you better figure out how to make electricity out of nothing, or go [censored].

This is well said and the truth of the matter.

The TDI Touareg is still available because it is the V 10 option.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
The TDI Touareg is still available because it is the V 10 option.

No it's not. Current Touareg TDI has a V6 engine and it is no longer available for sale, as a result of this EPA investigation. They've taken it down last week, along with all their other V6 TDI offerings:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/04/us-volkswagen-emissions-stopsale-idUSKCN0ST2E420151104

As far as the Touareg V10 TDI, the last time they offered it was in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back