Honda Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

Stopped by the Honda dealer today. New state for me so I wanted to see if the service department was as annoying as my last stealership. They actually seemed honest, don't charge arms or legs, and in discussing a CEL which he could've easily pushed for some work, told me to reset it and keep driving unless it came on more often than it was. I'll go back. Which leads me to the point of my post. I typically do all my own work. I buy the cheapest Syn (M1, or QSUD, or PP usually) I can find and change every 5-7k. Used to have extreme winters. Won't any more. They offer a Honda syn-blend, Honda filter, AND a car wash (hand wash & vacuum) for $28. I mean, you can't pass this up, right? I searched for info using the search function, but the more I use the search on here the more I think it just returns random results...I digress. But anyway, because I'm sure this hasn't been beaten on enough, what are your thoughts on Honda Syn-blend oil, Honda filters, and not changing my own oil and instead drinking coffee and eating cookies while some poor schmuck changes it for me? And, the most vital question, since I'd be using a Syn-blend, not a Syn, should I change my interval to 1000 miles because I heard M1 was the only brand capable of going more than 3k on a change. I joke, I joke. But thought I'd throw that in there to make it a typical BITOG question. I would've pushed more than 7k before but my car has a timing chain so I liked the idea of cleaner oil if possible.

Assuming it is Genuine Honda oil it's Conoco-Phillips synthetic blend. It's a good oil. No problem running it to the OLM. Filters I believe are made by Fram.

Judging by your post you don't enjoy changing your own oil. In that case enjoy the cookies.

Last edited:
I think only the older oil filters with part numbers ending in AO1 were made in Japan the new ones ending in AO2 are not made in land of the rising sun
Also I believe it is Toyo Roki

Originally Posted By: Yup
And, the most vital question, since I'd be using a Syn-blend, not a Syn, should I change my interval to 1000 miles because I heard M1 was the only brand capable of going more than 3k on a change.

Change every 1000 miles ? Yeah I'm all for that!! Awesome.
55.gif

OP:

Mis-information was given about the oil filters. You want the A01 version, made by Filtech. The A02 version is made by Fram.

I find your post amusing, in a good way. You must be fun to be around.

Cheers,

Scott

Gmfan: Oh, I don't mind changing, but now a tiny garage, rental house, would have to buy a pan and oil (sold mine because they were, well, oily and I didn't want oil everywhere moving here), etc. Plus, I figure $20 for Syn blend and filter on sale, so $8 for a wash, vacuum, hassle, and sitting watching TV drinking coffee and eating cookies. Coffee is worth like $2.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
OP:

Mis-information was given about the oil filters. You want the A01 version, made by Filtech. The A02 version is made by Fram.

I find your post amusing, in a good way. You must be fun to be around.

Cheers,

Scott

The Fram filter scare is overrated, IMO. My dad has used them FOREVER (he's pushing 80) and, therefore, I did too in high school and college. Used to run a Nissan pickup V6 with an orange can of death and Mobil 1 for 5-10k miles. Engine had 290K on it when the tranny went out. I beat the [censored] out of that truck hunting. Thing was a beast.

Originally Posted By: Ga129
Kind of hard to pass up if you ask me! I do love cookies. Haha

I know! I hate vacuuming my car. The worst part is I'll have to clean the [censored] out so they can vacuum. My car is my mobile office. And it's like $10 for a [censored] car wash now. So it's like a win, win, win.

Mods, I forgot the word c-r-a-p got censored. I wanted to apologize for my use of profanity. It won't happen again...

Mods, I forgot the word c-r-a-p got censored. I wanted to apologize for my use of profanity. It won't happen again...

You've convinced yourself that the $28 oil change is worth it. You'll probably be waiting there an hour or more and since you're sitting on your butt and not exerting yourself, just eating cookies and coffee you better budget for upsizing your pants after a few Oil changes. Lol. Just kidding.

Factor in the time spent getting there, aadditional gas used, wasted time and having some kid probably over tightening your drain pan bolt.

I prefer to do my own oil changes. The satisfaction to me is priceless and I know I've done it right.

Last edited:
They offer a Honda syn-blend, Honda filter, AND a car wash (hand wash & vacuum) for $28. I mean, you can't pass this up, right?

Yep, it a great deal... until one of the kids doing the work screws something up, or puts a bunch of swirl marks on the paint during that hand wash. For $28 you cannot expect quality work.

The Fram filter scare is overrated, IMO. My dad has used them FOREVER (he's pushing 80) and, therefore, I did too in high school and college. Used to run a Nissan pickup V6 with an orange can of death and Mobil 1 for 5-10k miles. Engine had 290K on it when the tranny went out. I beat the [censored] out of that truck hunting. Thing was a beast.

The Honda filters are fine. They have a rather low efficiency rating, but this seems to matter not. One member here ran his Integra to 400k+ miles on the blue Honda A02 filters. One critical difference, and this should matter to you, is the Honda filters use a silicone anti-drainback valve, which will stay pliable in the coldest of temperatures. Orange can Frams have a butyl rubber valve, there, which will harden up far quicker than a silicone valve will.

I think $28 for Honda oil, a Honda filter, and a wash and vacuum is a fine deal.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
And, the most vital question, since I'd be using a Syn-blend, not a Syn, should I change my interval to 1000 miles because I heard M1 was the only brand capable of going more than 3k on a change.

Change every 1000 miles ? Yeah I'm all for that!! Awesome.
55.gif

I remember those 1000 mile changes.
You that really like changing your own oil, just look at all the fun you're missing out on!!

Originally Posted By: JC1

You've convinced yourself that the $28 oil change is worth it. You'll probably be waiting there an hour or more and since you're sitting on your butt and not exerting yourself, just eating cookies and coffee you better budget for upsizing your pants after a few Oil changes. Lol. Just kidding.

Factor in the time spent getting there, aadditional gas used, wasted time and having some kid probably over tightening your drain pan bolt.

I prefer to do my own oil changes. The satisfaction to me is priceless and I know I've done it right.

I forgot about how tight they screw the filters on and stripped drain bolts. Ugh. That's almost not worth the cookies and wash....and overfilling. Why do they ALWAYS overfill?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
One member here ran his Integra to 400k+ miles on the blue Honda A02 filters.

You may be referring to me. My Integra was up to 415,000 miles, most of those miles with the A02. The engine was still running smoothly and quietly and using a manageable amount of oil when I sold the car.

Prior to the A02, Honda was using a different size of filter with a different part number -- also made by Fram -- and that was what I used up to the A02. The engine never saw anything other than Fram-made filters except for the two occasions when I received A01s instead of A02.

As I've said a number of times in the past, I've done lots of my own research on the A01/A02 thing. And the upshot is this:
1) The two filters meet exactly the same Honda performance-specs.
2) Honda treats the two filters as identical and interchangeable.
3) Which one you actually receive when you order A01 or A02 depends on local stocks. You get what you get; you and the dealer have no choice in the matter.
4) Canada normally gets A02. The US can get either, but usually gets A01.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back