VW 2016 Sportwagen S 5MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled the trigger, or should i say rolled the dice, on a 2016 Golf Sportwagen S 5MT in Tungsten Silver Metallic.

It's getting shipped in from CA. I had to go out of state for a manual trans, and the high volume dealers can sell at a loss for their quantity bonuses. Instead of sky high utah dealer doc fees of $299+ i pay for an auto transporter, no big deal. This is way cheaper than any Utah dealer would go and none of them had manuals. With the VW loyalty credit applied, i ended up with about 17% off, and a promo 1.9% rate. These JSW MK7 wagons have only been for sale since about April 2015, so i'm really pleased to get such a modern car at a big discount. Sold my E39 540i sport wagon to my friend, i will miss its crazy torque but not its 20 mpg.

So this thing is dirt cheap for a brand new wagon with 36 mpg, android auto, rear camera, comfy 15" alloys, pretty much everything i need and nothing i do not. Interior cargo space is comparable to a CX-5 or CRV at 66.5 cubic feet. Wagons have taught me one thing, sedans are useless, and once you wagon you can't go back.

At some point i plan on getting it tuned; the MBQ 1.8 can make about 250hp on a premium.

I think this thing can live a happy life on M1 0w40 right?

It has a plastic oil pan and you take the plug out with a flat head screw driver. I'm not sure if i can handle that, but it is designed to be oil vacuum friendly.

Please feel free to make all the VW Cheating comments you like. As a 10 year TDI owner i will not take any offense.

Congratulations! VW cheating does not make me like them any less at all.....kinda makes me like them even more. I loved the new golf when I drove it.

My daughter likes wagon, she usually carry many things in her Volvo V70 wagon to work and/or to picnic/beach.

This VW Golf Sportwagen looks good and MSRP at $21,xxx is very good too.

My only concern with a wagon is that casual smash-and-grab thieves prefer them over a sedan with a separate, lockable trunk.

A smash and grab theif steals only what they can see. So dont leave visible valuables in any vehicle. If they cant see it but know you have it the trunk does not stop them. Like the people seen trunking their firearms at gun free zones only to find their car broken into by someone casing that gun free zone.

250 hp in a 3100 lb car should be a hoot. Which tune are you likely going with? Being a VW, tunes and any issues caused by tuning a particular platform should be well fleshed out in the Vortex or the other VW enthusiast spots.

Enjoy the wagon! And enjoy embarrassing much more expensive cars once it's tuned!

The smash-and grab thief is easier and safer to transport in a seperate, lockable trunk.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Congratulations! VW cheating does not make me like them any less at all.....kinda makes me like them even more. I loved the new golf when I drove it.

I feel the same.

I'd go for it, they really are great cars and the reliability is almost as good as the best Japanese models in competition, and NONE of them come close to the driving dynamics and feel of the car.

I will probably go APR tune but i want to give the car a few years to blow up under warranty before i flash my warranty down the drain. I figure it will break in 2yrs or less if there is a defective something or other.

I was at a Mazda/VW dealer yesterday looking at a new CX-5 when I spotted this Golf Sportwagon in white. I really liked it and my only regret is that A/T is a must (for the wife).

The sticker was $23,815.....What would you offer considering the current state of VW affairs???

Nice! I saw a few of these at the local dealer. They had a gray Sportwagon S manual for $19,999 with the incentives going right now. Great deal for a manual turbo wagon. I believe these are still built in Germany?

If I was buying one I'd get an S manual and just upgrade the wheels.

Congrats! My wife/I looked at this very car which they had none in stock in 5mt S gasser. 35 TDI's(half MT) and 1 auto gasser. They told us we were crazy to not want TDI, HA!!!

My wife is spooked now but that price is definitely right! Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Enjoy the wagon! And enjoy embarrassing much more expensive cars once it's tuned!

DITTO +1,000

Congrats on your new car. That new smell is always nice.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Wagons have taught me one thing, sedans are useless, and once you wagon you can't go back.

Anything with a lift back has taught me that. I owned a number of sedans for many years, and could rarely find true ownership satisfaction. For me, it was a combination of their general lack of utility combined with my personal discomfort of having a seat so low to the floor (leg/knee/foot angles that don't agree with my anatomy).

I absolutely share your opinion that something with an open back is a far more useful vehicle than a sedan.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I was at a Mazda/VW dealer yesterday looking at a new CX-5 when I spotted this Golf Sportwagon in white. I really liked it and my only regret is that A/T is a must (for the wife).

The sticker was $23,815.....What would you offer considering the current state of VW affairs???

I would start at $18k and stop at $19.0-19.5k.

HTSS_TR is correct, if you qualify for the loyalty credit, you can get into the 18k to 19k range. If you are looking for an A/T model they are FAR more common and easier to negotiate on. Since i wanted the hard to find model i had less strength to negotiate with.

The dealers all buy for the same price but a really high volume dealer will sell at a loss that he makes up for with month end bonuses. So if you are close to a major metro area, talk to those dealers and make the trip. They will be getting the best bonuses and selling for the largest losses.

Originally Posted By: dareo
I will probably go APR tune but i want to give the car a few years to blow up under warranty before i flash my warranty down the drain. I figure it will break in 2yrs or less if there is a defective something or other.

I've heard that VW is very, ahem, attuned to looking for aftermarket flashes when a car comes back with an engine issue for warranty work. Tunes have a way of exposing marginal components, even fairly conservative canned tunes like APR.

Congrats on the new car! You got it for a good price too.

Regarding the tune, you may want to read up on how the APR stage 1 or 2 will shorten the lifespan of your stock clutch. Then again, that also depends on how you drive it.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back