Odyssey first oil change (maintaining Hondas- Ugh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
The OLM on the odyssey was at 15%, and then dropped to 10, so at a bit over 5000 miles, it was time to change. As this was the first change I wanted to do oil and filter so the filter was free of any break in products.

I recall the hassle of doing oil changes on our 94 integra, particularly the oil filter oriented on the far back side of the engine and lined up so the oil spilled everywhere. I thought with the van being bigger and higher, it would be easier. Yeah, sort of. But it was a pain. Keep in mind I'm used to Euro vehicles with accessible drain plugs and cartridge filters up top to easily pull out and cleanly change.

First was the drain plug. Pointed backwards, next to a hot exhaust pipe, without a lot of room to move or work. So holding a catch pan up, while pulling the plug backwards was a pain, and some oil missed the pan and made a stain on the asphalt that I recently seal coated. Boo. The plug also fell into the hot oil in the catch pan.

DAAE8286-3653-46D5-95FD-FAF5500AFE2F_zpss7rg7ual.jpg

The filter I thought was in a good spot. Until I realized that with its location and access, a van up on ramps couldn't well position a catch pan, especially if you've got another in place to let the sump drain. The location is OK of it were up in a hoist I guess.

0FA1D5EE-30F6-43F6-B408-965D7CA521C7_zpsipwl2bpx.jpg

When the filter is pulled, it rains oil all over that unibody subframe member instead of a clean drop, making things worse. I will be using a Fram ultra and changing every other OCI per Honda's recommendations. 10k won't be a big deal. It makes this a bit less of a hassle.

7A1F0090-0389-4904-91F4-F12C6A79B517_zpsdcp48erv.jpg

And to get the filter off... OE filter from the factory. OE filter removal tool. Put one on the other, it just spins! No grip. Try it on my Fram ultra? Doesn't fit because it's too tight. Had to use the grabber type to get it off. Really Honda?!?!?

1D610A3F-8D6E-48F4-A292-23970776EB0D_zps9t8hd8zq.jpg

C94946D8-9F19-4B57-B9BB-31BA65BB640B_zps0sym0qne.jpg

5FC2D863-9E06-4FFE-B17F-965B1C6650D9_zpspepfwhzc.jpg

And in the end, it's a bit disconcerting that this is all the oil we recovered, besides the decent but not a quart-worth of oil that we spilled...

8000E930-15E7-425D-A96D-AEB73FF80F2F_zps2nxt6mgt.jpg

Since we've checked it regularly and didn't note low oil or consumption. The filter holds 0.3 qt but the engine took 4.5 in like the manual states. So it's odd and concerning to me.

I did change to a gold plug, model AP-02, which the company owner recommended. It's smaller than the OE plug, FWIW. I don't think they have a 17mm hex that's longer.

11A60A70-5417-4BA5-9531-7E33D7E42361_zpsewxgvj4j.jpg

9693B904-85BC-4317-916B-2E7907EC3E0A_zpsijpghsc7.jpg

But it's a quality piece, very nice.

B30CAD10-3B6D-454D-844C-84A11BDFA893_zpspwryqkmr.jpg

Pre filled the filter, no issues.

A24F4F18-6421-491C-ABEF-D96835C29FF5_zps4vlchhth.jpg

2F969DBD-2E91-4863-9C54-9B497B1E5526_zpsr0jwqa28.jpg

Note the OE baseplate and internal valve similarity, though the gasket differs.

3D267CE8-37A9-44C0-B7D5-C95BF7AFA39C_zpsiwnhves9.jpg

This is a PF52 equivalent I had in the pan. Tiny holes!!

6BD26B6E-1E41-4530-9442-9315ECF52398_zpscrqniyoy.jpg

The other gripe I had was that this is a van with a good deal of underhood space. Yet look straight on with it on ramps, where's the oil filler?

693EC693-0210-4BFB-9D53-FD567D7DCE64_zps7yjgtigv.jpg

Hidden.

2F9E47D8-AE27-4080-A537-01F2EBCE6EA5_zpslltwbh96.jpg

You have to finagle a funnel in there, and no chance of filling from a 5qt jug without one. Awkward.

I forgot how I dislike some maintenance jobs on Hondas, and how I dislike V type engines. Nothing terrible, just some awkward design approaches that add a bit of hassle. And no topside cartridge filter.

Hope the Accord will be marginally less hassling...

If you thought the Ody was hard, I doubt that you'll find the Accord any easier.
I consider Hondas pretty easy for routine services, like oil changes, and we've had eight of them.
Prior to the advent of crossflow heads sometime in the early 'eighties, Hondas had the oil filter located on the front of the engine block.
Much easier and changes could be done without lifting the car just so that you could get at the oil filter.
Your next change will go easier, since you'll know exactly what to expect.

Similar experience changing the oil on my Pilot with the same engine. I never bothered with the Honda filter removal tool as a regular filter wrench always works and I can use it with all my cars. The dipsticks are way to freakin deep in the engine bay, especially for the ATF. That annoying plastic shroud covering the radiator doesn't make getting to them any easier. Luckily the Pilot has enough ground clearance for me to do fluid changes without jacking it up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The OLM on the odyssey was at 15%, and then dropped to 10, so at a bit over 5000 miles, it was time to change. As this was the first change I wanted to do oil and filter so the filter was free of any break in products.

I recall the hassle of doing oil changes on our 94 integra, particularly the oil filter oriented on the far back side of the engine and lined up so the oil spilled everywhere. I thought with the van being bigger and higher, it would be easier. Yeah, sort of. But it was a pain. Keep in mind I'm used to Euro vehicles with accessible drain plugs and cartridge filters up top to easily pull out and cleanly change.

Every time I change oil&filter in my E430 I smile broadly and curse several nice words whenever I do other cars.

The oil&filter change of S2000 wasn't as bad as your Odyssey, but not as easy as E430 with Mityvac 7201.

I tried Mityvac with Honda S2000 I could siphon all but 5-10oz out, I could reach Fram easy drain from top to get that 5-10oz, I could remove and install filter from top too.

Last edited:
I've installed Fumoto valves on about 7 Hondas in the family.

My 2005 Civic is exactly how your Integra oil filter locationwas, a major mess. That's why I do 20K on oversized oil filter.

Honda has always been considerate toward those that change engine oil. My 84 Honda has a dipstick heater, the exhaust manifold. I changed the original metal dipstick for a later model one with a plastic coating and it makes all the difference. No more toasted fingers fishing out the dipstick when the engine is warmed up.

I'm going to use an Ultra for the next oci's on the Matrix and Camry. The Matrix is easy to change on the front of the engine with lots of room. The Camry however is a cartridge that's buried underneath. Since their rated for 15k miles I'll probably go 20k miles on them. Already have 9k miles on a basic Motorcraft filter on the Matrix with no oil consumption.

I remember on the old Accord and having the dealer change the oil. They kept leaking the oil on the exhaust pipe which gave off awful fumes. So every oil change after that I made sure to tell them to shield it off some how. If I forget to tell them I always had fumes to deal with.

Not much thought to the DIY'er, agreed. I doubt it ever even cross their minds since we're such a tiny minority.

The subaru was nice, the Dodge not bad other than having to remove the air intake to get to the top mounted cartridge filter, the new Honda isn't bad at all. The suzuki bikes win hands down. Easiest oil changes ever
smile.gif

Of all the cars I've owned, I hated OCIs on my '08 Accord 4cyl the most. The OF was an absolute pain to get to. The easiest has to be a '92 Camary 4cyl, the OF was right in front. My Durango is probably in 2nd place with the OF on top of the engine.

Oh for goodness sake!
Anyone who considers an LOF job on a Honda anything beyond easy has never done one on anything really hard.
The OP has done some serious work on his various old crocks.
Surely the oil change on this Ody can't have been so bad?

I am a bit surprised by all the threads you loose by going with the new Gold Plug.

What was the reason for the revised Gold Plug? That it uses a 17mm (like stock) socket?

I think I prefer the older Gold Plug reference for Hondas, I don't mind using the 19mm Socket.

I like as much threads on aluminum as possible, but if you are changing your own oil I guess it doesn't mean much.

Enjoy your new Honda, the next oil change everything will be familliar and be much more fun!

Yeah...I didn't see anything there that looked overly difficult. Sure, stuff like the awkward oil filler is annoying, but there's far worse cars to service than that one!

Originally Posted By: hpb
Yeah...I didn't see anything there that looked overly difficult. Sure, stuff like the awkward oil filler is annoying, but there's far worse cars to service than that one!

Nothing was overly difficult. It's more that s few things are marginally annoying compared to our other vehicles that we have and do own.

Plus I lie to take pictures when I do a job for the first time
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Falken
I am a bit surprised by all the threads you loose by going with the new Gold Plug.

What was the reason for the revised Gold Plug? That it uses a 17mm (like stock) socket?

I think I prefer the older Gold Plug reference for Hondas, I don't mind using the 19mm Socket.

I like as much threads on aluminum as possible, but if you are changing your own oil I guess it doesn't mean much.

Enjoy your new Honda, the next oil change everything will be familliar and be much more fun!

I was surprised too. I wanted the 17mm head just because I knew that was the OE head, and I didn't think I'd lose that many threads. I sent pictures to the owner of gold plug, we will see if he comes up with something else.

For the number of threads in there, I still went with 30 ft-lb which struck me as a lot, but was the best guidance I could find, and seemed to be pretty consistent across Honda forums (29-32 was what I saw in many places).

I used a Torque wrench on my Fit drain plug... I find 30ft lbs a lot as well.

When under the car I sometimes feel maybe it is the torque wrench is not calibrated.

But my torque wrench is about a foot long... So imagine 30 pounds pressure... It IS a lot.

But if you use a crush washer, what I find odd is when you LOOSEN the drain plug for the next oil change, it seems almost "loose"...

I think next OCI I am going to go with 20-25 foot lbs. The pan on my Fit looks like cheap pot metal, worried about stripping the Aluminum.

Change your Gold Plug for sure, He will probably just mail you the new one without asking for the old one back as shipping cost would wipe out the reason to send it back.

Just tell him you aren't happy with all the threads you are loosing compared to the OEM and you are worried about a stripped pan if you take your car somewhere to get the oil changed.

Did you test the strenght of the magnet first? It is really worth it...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Oh for goodness sake!
Anyone who considers an LOF job on a Honda anything beyond easy has never done one on anything really hard.
The OP has done some serious work on his various old crocks.
Surely the oil change on this Ody can't have been so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back