Mopar 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I would ask, does anyone know who makes the 15w40 Mopar oil? I have never used it. The Dealership has a good deal, for 169 dollars, you get (4) oil changes within (2) years. Pretty cheap deal for us Cummins guys/gals. I am set on oil and filters for now, but down the road who knows??

Thanks

Last edited:
Wow, $43.00 including a filter, disposal, coffee and donuts. I would imagine the oil is warranty approved so it doesn't matter who/where the dealership bought it from. Likely in bulk from one of the big players.
Oil change deals are a lost leader to get you in the door. What happens after that is entirely up to you. New truck maybe?

Last edited:
That is a great deal. At one time I think I read where Valvoline supplied the oil for Mopar, then someone else indicted Shell?? Currently, I change my own oil, using Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 with the Cummins oil filter. Owners manuuel recommends a 5w40 diesel oil at temps at zero or below. I guess if the Dealer uses the 15w40, during cold temps, I would be covered.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Wow, $43.00 including a filter, disposal, coffee and donuts. I would imagine the oil is warranty approved so it doesn't matter who/where the dealership bought it from. Likely in bulk from one of the big players.
Oil change deals are a lost leader to get you in the door. What happens after that is entirely up to you. New truck maybe?
Dont forget that the truck holds 3-4 GALLONS of oil.

Synthetic 5W40 will be an up-sell. The 15W40 deal gets you in the door. What happens after that is entirely up to you. New truck maybe?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought the Cummins held 14 qts? Not that it matters a whole lot for the purpose of this thread ...

That's a fair deal for the OCI. Is that a "final" cost, or are they going to add shop fees, taxes, etc onto it? Not that it's a bad deal, but just would be interested to know where the "true" cost would fall out at.

On topic, I'm not actually sure who makes the Mopar diesel oil. Cummins is typically paired up with Valvoline, but that does not mean Chrysler is doing the same. However, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that your sense of this being important is probably way greater than the reality. As long as they are using a certified CJ-4 lube, it would be just fine.

When I type in "Mopar", I get two choices; one for Chrysler of Canada and one for the Corp, presumably in the US. Oddly, it is only the Canadian link that has 15w-40 lube listed ... Take that for what it's worth. I highly suspect the Chrysler lube they offer is certified, but we may just struggle to know what specific link it's listed under. I have found that the API EOLCS can be finicky at times; you have to know the EXACT way they entered the info to find what you seek. As an example, the Walmart products for the US are under "Wal*mart" but the Canadian is listed as "Wal-Mart" ... note the difference in the asterisk and hyphen. And you will find neither if you type in "Walmart" with no special character. So my point is that you may have to tinker with the API search tool, after you first go find out the exact name of the product the dealership is offering.

https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsSearch

Admittedly, this will only show you if it's licensed; it won't tell you who makes it. But I contend who makes it is moot anyway. You may care, but your engine won't in the slightest.

Last edited:
That large sump capacity could influence your choice of engine oil grade depending on your daily driving routine. Twelve quarts plus another 2 or 3 that you can't drain out of the engine without turning it up side down, would take a while to get up to temperature. The complaint I hear from Diesel pick up truck owners, is the time it takes for the cab to warm up. There is a lot of iron there, plus coolant, engine oil, transmission and diff fluids to warm up. I would be tempted to ask for 10W30 (free) instead of 15W40 for this time of year and pass on the $ynthetic 5W40 up-grade, unless you are going somewhere very cold.
Has anyone tried XW30 in Cummins 5.9 and 6.7's?

Last edited:
The oil change deal above is an example of a "lost leader" marketing strategy. The 15W40 in this case, would be the wrong grade for this time of year in most areas of North America. The only two warranty approved grades for the Cummins Diesel as Turbowhistle noted, is 15w40 and 5w40.
The first $50 gets you in the door. Next is the 5w40 up-grade, transmission fluid, brake fluid, windshield wipers, winter tires and the list goes on, right up to driving out of the dealership with a new vehicle.

These unbelievable deals are easy to spot for what they really are. Cheap advertising.

I don't think there are a lot of 10w-40s in CJ-4, and not a lot of vehicles calling for that grade any longer. It's not my favorite grade, anyhow, having read GM's dire warnings for a bunch of years.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back