Oil Analysis question...5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Does anyone know of any studies or data regarding oil composition comparing 5w-40 synthetic diesel (CJ-4) engine oils? I heard Shell T6 has good levels of Zinc while Mobil Delvac ESP 5w-40 has some of the lowest (comparatively speaking). What are companies going or already using in Zinc's place for wear protection? Thanks again for sharing all your knowledge.

Thanks Tired. I am assuming all use moly, borons, etc. at various degrees. To maintain wear parameters, they all have different formulations to achieve CJ-4 spec as well as various manufacturer specs as well. For Delvac to maintain manufacturer spec with lower Zinc in comparison to T6, they have figured out a different formula to get the same results in wear protection?

At the risk of sounding snarky, how would you possibly make any determination based on some VOA or product data sheets? Are you saying that you understand additive formulation to the point that if you knew what the company is adding you could qualitatively promote one oil over another? And even if you could what makes you think that you would know everything that they use to formulate the additive package? Do you think a VOA shows that?

A lot of times people on here say "oh that *&!@# oil has no xxx so it must be inferior to this oil". Really? You know everything in that oil and how it works together to contribute to a complete additive package? Maybe some people do have that knowledge but unless they work for the company in question I don't see how they could possibly know all the constituents of the formulation.

Other than just going by which specifications the oil meets (or doesn't meet) I really don't know how meaningful determinations can be made with the data we are given in a PDS or VOA.

Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Thanks Tired. I am assuming all use moly, borons, etc. at various degrees. To maintain wear parameters, they all have different formulations to achieve CJ-4 spec as well as various manufacturer specs as well. For Delvac to maintain manufacturer spec with lower Zinc in comparison to T6, they have figured out a different formula to get the same results in wear protection?

If it meets the required specification then I don't know how you would doubt that conclusion.

Hi Kschachn,

I don’t claim to know individual oil manufacturers’ properties. I can find the link to someone who had analyzed some motor oil brands and posted Zinc, boron, psi stats for the top brands (not sure it was done scientifically or not?). I was merely trying to ask that because one oil brand has more Zinc than the other doesn’t/shouldn’t make it inferior. To meet spec, each has to get to a minimum level with whatever formula they create (Zinc or no Zinc).

However, whether oil meets or exceeds specs is another question all together. Perhaps Schaffers exceeds specs? Does exceeding spec mean better engine protection? Not sure anyone can answer than conclusively.

I read somewhere T6 has a lot of Zinc compared to Delvac...was curious if that was true? Looks like companies are using more moly, borons to replace lower levels of Zinc. So, my conclusion is that lower Zinc levels should not be worrisome. Curious if that was the trend. Thanks.

mbacfp; Can you think of an industrial Diesel engine oil that is zinc free? Without knowing anything about additives (and I don't) what would be the logical answer to your question?

Last edited:
There is a website and group named Petroleum Quality Institute of America.

They have a ton of information related to all types of oils and some other products.

Go to that website and you can find many virgin oils analyzed and make some conclusions about additives if that is what you are looking for.

They analyze and update fairly frequently.

Hi Kschachn,

I don’t claim to know individual oil manufacturers’ properties. I can find the link to someone who had analyzed some motor oil brands and posted Zinc, boron, psi stats for the top brands (not sure it was done scientifically or not?). I was merely trying to ask that because one oil brand has more Zinc than the other doesn’t/shouldn’t make it inferior. To meet spec, each has to get to a minimum level with whatever formula they create (Zinc or no Zinc).

However, whether oil meets or exceeds specs is another question all together. Perhaps Schaffers exceeds specs? Does exceeding spec mean better engine protection? Not sure anyone can answer than conclusively.

To answer your last question here, yes there is HDEO available that exceeds CJ-4 spec that is targeted at extended intervals, but that doesn't mean that it equates to less wear, especially at manufacturers intervals. it will protect longer, not necessarily "better".

If you go through the HDEO UOA section you can see that different oil turns in different results, but that just as much to do with not only different engines but different use, different drivers, different local conditions and so on. There are so many variables that one has to select a oil and run it, UOA, then decide if its the results you're looking for, if not switch oil and start over.

For my wide variety of my diesel engines I have chosen to run the Deere Plus 50 II (10w-30 & 15w-40) as it has always returned excellent UOA's, its available locally to me, and its cheaper than most other brands I can buy in my locale. I can "one stop shop" if you will.

Thanks...sorry if multiple thoughts crossed over in previous posts. I guess I was curious as to what was being enhanced to compensate for reduced Zinc levels. So, if an oil meets an identical spec as another like (T6 vs. Delvac)...then they should have similiar engine wear protection characteristics? Sorry for any confusion...my apologies. Thanks.

Thanks Roadrumner...that is what I was trying to get at and understand.

I wouldn't call HDEOs zinc challenged. Many people use them in engines with highly loaded valve trains because of their zinc levels. If you poke around you will find published levels of ZDDP, but don't read too much into the function of that additive without insider knowledge. Some types may provide better boundary lubrication while other formulations of ZDDP may provide adequate protection over a longer service interval.

I believe companies were mandated by the EPA to reduce Zinc levels to a certain level...thus was curious what companies were doing in their reformulations. As roadrunner pointed out, I guess running individual UOAs in a particular application will help figure out which oil provides the best wear protection. Really interesting stuff.

I heard Shell T6 has good levels of Zinc while Mobil Delvac ESP 5w-40 has some of the lowest (comparatively speaking).

They're all pretty darned close, and note they are all fully formulated motor oils. There are other AW additive technologies, too, that we, as lay people, know little about. Note that ACEA E6 type oils are becoming more common, and these have a lower phosphorus content, but still have to meet the requirements that go along with that certification, plus those of the E7, E9 designations that usually go with E6.

Note that volatility and phosphorus retention are also important aspects. The days of just loading an oil up with ZDDP to give some AW level are gone, if they ever were here in the first place.
wink.gif

And no, the EPA doesn't mandate anything about zinc levels or phosphorus levels in oils. There are plenty of non-certified oils out there, including race oils and boutique oils, that have additive levels all over the map.

Hello all,

Does anyone know of any studies or data regarding oil composition comparing 5w-40 synthetic diesel (CJ-4) engine oils? I heard Shell T6 has good levels of Zinc while Mobil Delvac ESP 5w-40 has some of the lowest (comparatively speaking). What are companies going or already using in Zinc's place for wear protection? Thanks again for sharing all your knowledge.

Start by reading this:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/
Then when you're done, read it again, because most folks gloss over it and think they understand it, but really don't.

As previously mentioned by others the PQIA site has good info as to the VOA info on many lubes, although I am not sure they delve deeply into the PAO syns ...

The point I am making is that inputs are different from outputs. Focus on the later and not the former. There are a lot of good lubes out there in every market that use different add-pack and base stock formulations. And yet most all of them do just about equally well in protecting against wear and keeping an engine/gearbox/diff/etc clean.

As the article states, you most certainly can find a "best" lube, but only for your specific situations, after a LOT (and I mean a heaping load) of time and money are spent. One lube would eventually reveal itself as "best", but I dare say you will NEVER, EVER discover it because most of us don't have the cash or resources to do such a detailed study in terms of micro analysis. However, macro analysis can show us what is "normal" in terms of typical wear, and then you can compare/contrast your results to the mass market curve. And because we see MANY lubes perform "same as" in most applications, the correct conclusion to come to is that results outweigh inputs.

Or, more succinctly put, there's more than one road to the same destination. So your quest to find/define a "best" lube via some VOA study is a fruitless venture. You're welcome to do so; no one here would stop you. But as far as I am interested, that will fall FAR from the target of what is important.

I have more than 10,000 UOAs that show me VOAs are only predictors, whereas UOAs actually tell about what happens inside the equipment. And when most wear rates exhibit variance small enough to be "normal", regardless of the brand/grade/stock/add-pack, then I can rightfully conclude VOAs are just trivia for Bitog Banter.

I absolutely agree and proclaim that there will be, at some point, a difference great enough to show some kind of performance disparity between any two lubes. But you, I and most every BITOGer here will NEVER (and I mean that in the literal sense) be able to accurately define that point due to constraints of time and money and it would ONLY apply to our individual unique situation. So for any sane, typical application, as long as the bottle states a certification (or approved for use in) Spec-ABC, XYZ, etc, then your equipment won't know the difference.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all your input. Garak, I stand corrected...thanks. I know too high levels of Zinc is not good for catalytic converters...thus the reason they are being lowered (I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back