Veteran's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to all who served.

Heard this on tv: Many Gave Some, Some Gave All.
I appreciate you and your families sacrifices.

I as many in this country have or have had friends and relatives who have served in many conflicts or in peace time on the ready and it is most appreciated.

If you truly appreciate them, do something more than post on a meaningless discussion forum.

And yes, both my wife and I practice what we preach, and we do it more than just one day each year.

Thank you Veterans.

God Bless You.

+1

"If you truly appreciate them, do something more than post on a meaningless discussion forum.

And yes, both my wife and I practice what we preach, and we do it more than just one day each year."

It's sad that private groups like 'Wounded Warrior" are needed to take care of vets while our tax dollars are used to take care of addicts, lifetime welfare recipients, illegals etc....bizzaro world, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
If you truly appreciate them, do something more than post on a meaningless discussion forum.

And yes, both my wife and I practice what we preach, and we do it more than just one day each year.
Don't dislocate your shoulder. I find the folks who do the most talk about it the least.

Thank You Vets!
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Don't dislocate your shoulder. I find the folks who do the most talk about it the least.
Seriously does this guy have to be holier than thou on every single post? 4758 posts on a meaningless forum just to let us know how much better he is than us, get's old.

At a Memorial Day service at the Elgin, Nebraska cemetery a few years ago a speaker said "they gave all of their tomorrows so that we can have today." I never want to forget those words. Thank you vets for serving in the armed forces. And thank you law enforcement and fire protection men and women.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

John McCrae

As a veteran myself; the girlfriend and I will be volunteering at a homeless shelter&community kitchen tonight. Least I can do as I donate some food to the place when I have too much food

Originally Posted By: car51
As a veteran myself; the girlfriend and I will be volunteering at a homeless shelter&community kitchen tonight. Least I can do as I donate some food to the place when I have too much food

That's awesome I bet the are very grateful for your help.

The best thanks our Government could give us Vets is to fix the problems with the VA once and for all.

I found out this morning that a local street person is a Vietnam vet like myself. I stopped and talked to him while he still remained invisible to others as they walked by. I asked him if I could take him to lunch and he said he would be too embarrassed to go to a sit down restaurant but he'd like to drive through a Carl's Jr. We did and he ate 3 of their big hamburgers, well inhaled them would be more like it. I took him to the Goodwill store and got him outfitted and then it was off to an Extended Stay motel where I paid him up for 3 nights and used my debit card to check him in. At check in we ran into a group of Marines and after some introductions and discovering I was a SARC and our street person was an 0311 and that we both did a tour in Vietnam they said they wanted to help and pooled their cash and credit cards and paid him up for the rest of the month along with a discount from the management, and some spending money. For me and a group of very young Marines and the management of an Extended Stay motel, this was a good Veteran's Day.

The Marines are coming back tonight to take us both to a party on base at Camp Pendleton. Our street person cleaned up really well and has a smile on his face that is very contagious. I have not seen Camp Pendleton in a long time and I'm told I'm in for a surprise.

So far, it's been a very good day.

T
34.gif
hank you OneEyeJack, very good deed you did for a fellow Marine

Thank you

Wife and I volunteer as much as possible at the local Veterans home. We don't exchange gifts either. We generally buy for a few Vets who need stuff and some kids who don't get toys. Plus I think some of the old guys like seeing the wife shake it a little LOL! I remember one time I was getting an older guy some egg nog at a party.

He said "I don't want you to get it make her get it for me I to want see it up close."

I said "That is my wife"

He said "I don't care"

I said "Roger That" and sent her over with some egg nog.
Somethings never change. Still makes me laugh when I think about it.

Here is what I posted on my Facebook today. To be honest hearing thanks is ok. I don't need to hear it. I do like to thank folks for allowing ME to serve.

My Post.
I spent 11 years seeing and doing things that only a very very small % of people will never get do. Eating the finest food in the Navy (if Yelp were a scale it would be .1 - .5 star scale just kidding it was pretty good), slept between missiles and always wore some of the most stylish dysfunctional clothing available to mankind.
All kidding aside. The levels of expectations, responsibility and accountability I experienced in the Submarine Service were unreal. The strange thing is it was excepted as a normal work day. Yet, if was far from a normal work day. Where else do you leave the house for work and not see day light for 80+ days. I have never met more well rounded, diverse, dedicated individuals working for one goal. Didn't matter your race, background or religion you were a Submariner and you depended on each other. You were each others family.
I am humbled by all the appreciation people show, but I have to admit that if it wasn't for those people I never would have had experienced those 11 years. So let me thank you all for affording me the opportunity to serve this country and of course play with a Submarine.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I found out this morning that a local street person is a Vietnam vet like myself. I stopped and talked to him while he still remained invisible to others as they walked by. I asked him if I could take him to lunch and he said he would be too embarrassed to go to a sit down restaurant but he'd like to drive through a Carl's Jr. We did and he ate 3 of their big hamburgers, well inhaled them would be more like it. I took him to the Goodwill store and got him outfitted and then it was off to an Extended Stay motel where I paid him up for 3 nights and used my debit card to check him in. At check in we ran into a group of Marines and after some introductions and discovering I was a SARC and our street person was an 0311 and that we both did a tour in Vietnam they said they wanted to help and pooled their cash and credit cards and paid him up for the rest of the month along with a discount from the management, and some spending money. For me and a group of very young Marines and the management of an Extended Stay motel, this was a good Veteran's Day.

The Marines are coming back tonight to take us both to a party on base at Camp Pendleton. Our street person cleaned up really well and has a smile on his face that is very contagious. I have not seen Camp Pendleton in a long time and I'm told I'm in for a surprise.

You are a blessing. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Well done Sir!!!

34.gif
34.gif
34.gif

The party's over. Just got home. Had an amazing time. Met some other Vietnam vets and a lot of young Marines doing their turn.

I even met 3 vets that I served with in the jungle and have not seen since those days. What a great surprise. They own a company that does beach erosion prevention and repair and the guy I took through Carl Jr's for a few hamburgers that got this whole day started now has a job.

The young Marines were amazed to hear stories of being deployed without the Internet, e-mail, cell phones, MRE's, GPS, NVG's and all the neat stuff they take for granted.

I got to drive an MRAP truck around the parking lot, absolutely amazing with it's red dash lights, automatic transmission, climate control, traction control and armor plating everywhere. In Vietnam we had deuce and a half's that were like a tin box with an open canvas top and rode like a buckboard.

All in all, a great day and a great night.

Oh, and to all the BITOG vets, thank you for your service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back