Using Castrol Profes 5w30 LL03 in Honda CRV K24?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this oil is used in all 09+ vw audis "clean diesel" engines. A buddy of mine gave me 3 cases of this oil which is a 5w30 but wanted to ask around on here and see what some of you have to say about using this oil in a 2010 CRV K24 engine that normally uses 0w20. the Crv has approx 60k miles on it as well. i know a lot of people used 5w30 in their k24 but wanted to get some opinions on it. thanks

OCI'S ARE 5000 MILES

g0521951l-1qt.jpg

Last edited:
Will that oil work, yes, is it the best oil for your CR-V, maybe, maybe not.

All I know is that if the manual recommends 0W-20 then that is what I would use.

Originally Posted By: dedonderosa
i know a lot of people used 5w30 in their k24

It's not just any typical 5w-30 oil. It's a high HT/HS 5w-30 oil, so actually closer to an Xw-40 oil in that respect.

But will your engine explode? No.
smile.gif

There may be a slight MPG hit. Some people also report more sluggishness when using higher HT/HS oils, but I'm not sure how evident this is.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It's not just any typical 5w-30 oil. It's a high HT/HS 5w-30 oil, so actually closer to an Xw-40 oil in that respect.

If it was for gas engines it would be close to 0W40. I think this one is close to a standard API 5W30.

I believe this is a low SAP oil so TBN is going to start ~5.5. For 5k OCIs it will be fine though. If it was free oil I'd use it personally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

If it was for gas engines it would be close to 0W40. I think this one is close to a standard API 5W30.

Based on the mfg specs it carries, it has to have HT/HS of at least 3.5 cP. So no, it is not your typical API/ILSAC GF-5 energy conserving oil.

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusion...S_July_2012.pdf

I ran 5W-30 in my 2008 CR-V every now and then. This 5W-30, as others have posted, is a pretty "heavy" 5W-30. That said, your CR-V will likely spec 5W-30 or 0W-40 in other parts of the world, so you should have absolutely no problems using it in your engine.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
your CR-V will likely spec 5W-30 or 0W-40 in other parts of the world, so you should have absolutely no problems using it in your engine.

Yep, Castrol Oz spec is 5w30. Use it no worries at all.

That's a very good oil, and as hpb says the Oz spec for that car is 5W30.

The oil is a high quality Euro ACEA C3 oil, that also has MB 229.51, it's a low or mid SAPS oil.

TBN should be 6 or more, and Noack should be 10 or less.

A very good quality oil, fine for your Honda, I just wouldn't do a long OCI on it.
Fine for 6k miles to 7.5k miles, as the Castrol synthetic oils tend to hold on to their TBN well.

Considering that this oil is not only 507.00 for diesel engines but also 504.00 for petrol (gas) engines, what makes you all think it's not suitable for a longer drain interval in the CRV? 5000 miles only? Seriously, for a top notch synthetic oil? VW petrol engines would run 15000km on it in Australia.

Last edited:
I'd have no problem using that LL oil for the full OLM or recommended interval for your driving style.

At each OCI, you could also thin that oil with a single quart of 0w20 or 0w16 so that you don't lose that tremendous amount of MPG/HP that Honda gives you.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Pagophilus
Considering that this oil is not only 507.00 for diesel engines but also 504.00 for petrol (gas) engines, what makes you all think it's not suitable for a longer drain interval in the CRV? 5000 miles only?

It has to do with fuel quality. The OP is in the US, where we don't yet have ultra low sulfur gasoline (apart from California maybe). Sulfur in gasoline causes accelerated additive/TBN depletion, hence an oil with a low starting TBN (low SAPS oil) isn't particularly suitable for long drain intervals. In most of Europe, they do have ultra low sulfur gasoline, so it's a different story over there.

This is the reason why BMW and MB specifically advise against the use of such oils in their gasoline engines in the US if you're going to be running extended OCIs.

It has to do with fuel quality. The OP is in the US, where we don't yet have ultra low sulfur gasoline (apart from California maybe). Sulfur in gasoline causes accelerated additive/TBN depletion, hence an oil with a low starting TBN (low SAPS oil) isn't particularly suitable for long drain intervals. In most of Europe, they do have ultra low sulfur gasoline, so it's a different story over there.

This is the reason why BMW and MB specifically advise against the use of such oils in their gasoline engines in the US if you're going to be running extended OCIs.

What is the sulfur level? Our premium fuel is 50ppm or less but regular can be 150ppm.
MB and BMW say the same in Australia too but VW do not. Some of these low saps oils can have a TBN over 8 which is as high as the best GF-5 lubes.

Last edited:
I think it's 30 ppm in the US. It's 10 ppm in most of Europe.

I think EPA has mandated that US reduces its gasoline sulfur content to 10 ppm by 2017.

been using this oil for awhile now and i have not even noticed the slightest mpg hit at all. also i have noticed little to no oil consumption depending on driving style, as i use to have to add about 1qt 5k mile period using 0w20

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dedonderosa
been using this oil for awhile now and i have not even noticed the slightest mpg hit at all. also i have noticed little to no oil consumption depending on driving style, as i use to have to add about 1qt 5k mile period using 0w20

There's no way you possibly could outside of a lab or testing facility. With the far higher variations due to daily driving conditions, fuel energy density and driving habits the difference is deep in the noise.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
There's no way you possibly could outside of a lab or testing facility. With the far higher variations due to daily driving conditions, fuel energy density and driving habits the difference is deep in the noise.

Yes I agree with what you say, too many variables, but I think the OP was addressing the comment that using a thicker / high HTHS oil may give him a MPG hit.

I have seen these sort of comments posted before, and while I belied it's possible in theory, I believe it's rare for real life drivers to notice anything during their regular daily drives.

I was happy to hear the OP's feedback on his MPG observations.

There may be a slight MPG hit. Some people also report more sluggishness when using higher HT/HS oils, but I'm not sure how evident this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back