Rear Main Seal Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dkryan
I don't believe it's leaking. It might be "seeping" or it might be "weeping" (at least it rhymes) but there is nothing on the garage floor or driveway. Ever.

Ah Ha! That's what I thought! In that case, you have a whole range of options up to and including the discontinuation of thin synthetics. My Buick has a rear main seep too, but it's drowned out by the CV axle seal leak that actually DOES hit the garage floor.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Are you sure it is a main seal

No, sir.

I am relying on the "expert opinion" of a Toyota mechanic.

Which is why I took the $1,700 estimate and walked.

At this point (5k miles on Old School Ultra 5w-30) with the dipstick at "full," I'm simply going to worry about other stuff.

I don't think I have the issue they claimed I had.

I'll update at the 10k OCI.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Originally Posted By: CT8
Are you sure it is a main seal

No, sir.

I am relying on the "expert opinion" of a Toyota mechanic.

Which is why I took the $1,700 estimate and walked.

At this point (5k miles on Old School Ultra 5w-30) with the dipstick at "full," I'm simply going to worry about other stuff.

I don't think I have the issue they claimed I had.

I'll update at the 10k OCI.

Your good to go, you don't have a leak in the RM seal if anything a minor weep somewhere if that. At least you didn't blow the seals and gaskets up like an elephants trunk trying to seal nothing.
IMO you just avoided a major clip job.

Truth be known, I'd bet in five year old vehicles with 100K mi there are almost none that don't seep slightly... If there isn't oil drips hanging under the vehicle it's a non issue, real leaks leave their mark on the driveway or garage floor...

The dealer was no doubt trying to sell something that's not needed(and unless it's a recall, why I won't go near one)...

I don't recall on which thread I shared my leaky story, but it was suggested there that I check the PCV valve and hose...
Yesterday I did and it was clean as a whistle...after 35k miles...nice.

...now to investigate underneath...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back