Serpentine Belt Pully Rust

Status
Not open for further replies.
05 GMC Sierra - Recently purchased

The serpentine belt pulley's are a bit rusty. Should I spray anything on them to prevent further rust?
Are they difficult to do? (I am willing but don't want to get in to too big of a job. Still a working rookie!)

And are they expensive?

And would I put a new belt on? Anything else while I'm at it? 103K Miles.

Here are two pics...

Pully

Pully1

Any thoughts?

If no noise, then don't worry, I haven't seen them to cause any issue because it's externally rusted, where the belt runs, it can't be rusted as that will be removed during operation.

Pulleys look pretty good for 10 years in the Rust Belt, IMHO. How deep are the cracks in the belts? The newer EPDM ones don't seem to fail much, but they can get slippery & squeal, especially when cold or damp.

Originally Posted By: coopns
05 GMC Sierra - Recently purchased

The serpentine belt pulley's are a bit rusty. Should I spray anything on them to prevent further rust?
Are they difficult to do? (I am willing but don't want to get in to too big of a job. Still a working rookie!)

And are they expensive?

And would I put a new belt on? Anything else while I'm at it? 103K Miles.

Here are two pics...

Pully

Pully1

Any thoughts?

Is it making any abnormal noise right now ? The belt doesn't appear to be notably worn... I would just run it at this point. The vehicle likely has been sitting to build up some of that rust on the back side driven pulleys in that fashion. It should wear down and "clean up" some of that with normal use over a length of time. I don't see alot of rust tho on the ribbed pulleys' actual "ribbed" business end of the pulleys, only on the faces of them.. Not rusty enough for any real issues from that at this point.
If it IS making noise, then yes I would replace the belt - and maybe clean off those back side pulleys somewhat or replace them if it bothers you. Otherwise in normal use that should take care of itself....

BurrWinder

i would not spray any lubricant or belt dressing on either the pulleys, tensioner or belt or they will go to squeeling. at that point you will have to remove belt and use carb cleaner spray, brush, and a rag to get all that you sprayed on, off...

as far as the belt, it is hard to see, but if there are enough cracks on the underside of it, then i myself would replace.

Last edited:
Personally after looking at the pix, I don't see a problem. If you wish to make them look better, You could always clean and paint the front of them, Or maybe just put some wd-40 or similar on them to keep the rust at bay. Or clean and paint with a rust stopping paint?

Just had the rig for a week so just seeing what is what.

That is what I was hoping for..."normal". Runs fine, will just leave it.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
If no noise, then don't worry, I haven't seen them to cause any issue because it's externally rusted, where the belt runs, it can't be rusted as that will be removed during operation.

If there is rust on the surface where the belt goes it will tend to sand away the belt. Been there, done that.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Should something be done with the bolts and the rust, like a penetrating oil? What if you have to take the bolts off, some day?

Looks like a typical northern vehicle.
Putting penetrating oil on a few hours before removal usually works fine.
For the very rusted fasteners a 24 hour soak with penetrating oil will do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back