VW Diesel Owners to Get $1000/vehicle November 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Smell from a little TDI? Get behind a heavy commercial truck on the highway that is doing a DPF regen and then let us know how the TDI compares. A DPF regen from a semi is really nasty. Big, white smoke cloud it leaves behind during the process. Makes me glad my semi truck is pre-egr, pre-scr, and pre-dpf.
That and it stinks to high [censored] as well. Just another reason the boss is keeping the older trucks on the road!

They should do something extra for owners of older TDIs too. I feel slightly worse about driving and romping on my 99.5 TDI now. All VW diesels are less desirable now. Just because they didn't start cheating until 2009 doesn't mean the perceived value of older ones wasn't impacted. [holds hand out to VW for bribe money]

10 to 40x the NOX limit sounds bad but really that limit is super strict for cars compared to trucks. i believe i read the cheating cars are about 1/3 the nox pollution of a 1 ton or larger diesel truck of the same year. They are still pretty clean. If you lower NOX you burn more fuel and end up with higher CO2 and hydro carbons.

That sudden and strict NOX limit came about before technology was ready, so that Winterkorn CEO forced them to cheat and sell the cars anyway. VW has always been a leader in clean diesel technology, until the game got too tough and they had to cheat.

They probably assumed they could innovate a solution that would pass legitimately before today and that nobody would find out that they cheated for a few years. That didn't happen, so Winterkorn takes the fall, along with shareholders.

Cockroach in your dinner?

Here's a coupon for a free meal from us next time.
smile.gif

I'm on the hunt for a VW TDI emblem to put on the back of my Accord. (it puts out a good bit of smoke WOT)

Smell from a little TDI? Get behind a heavy commercial truck on the highway that is doing a DPF regen and then let us know how the TDI compares. A DPF regen from a semi is really nasty. Big, white smoke cloud it leaves behind during the process. Makes me glad my semi truck is pre-egr, pre-scr, and pre-dpf.

Big white smoke clouds during regen is indicative of a cored or removed DPF. There are NO telltale signs except hotter exhaust gas if the system functions properly.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Big white smoke clouds during regen is indicative of a cored or removed DPF. There are NO telltale signs except hotter exhaust gas if the system functions properly.

Many of our trucks (including mine) at work pour smoke when doing a re-gen...none have any emission equipment deleted.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Not really, on a brand new system you will not see any visible smoke, well maybe during a cold start, but a system that has accumulated hundreds of thousands of miles will smoke. I believe smoking during regen is a sure sign that the DPF is slowly getting clogged and will need to be changed. But I'm not 100% on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back