2013 golf TDI- Castrol 5W30 VW-507 spec-6900 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Tuned and deleted ? does that mean your NOX numbers are less than 40x over the law? sorry, could not resist.

lol exactly.......my NOx cat trapped it all and now with the cat in my garage the NOx is stuck inside and out of the environment
wink.gif

Joking aside...I'm running a straight pipe w/resonator from the turbo back to the stock muffler with a Stage 2 tune from Malone. I seemed to have misplaced my DPF, cats, EGR filter, and exhaust flap.

I'm interested to see how the UOA's compare when using 507 spec vs. non-507 spec in my TDI. Might try Rotella T6 or the non-507 Mobil 1 diesel oil after this.

Last edited:
The one guy ran Neo 0w5 and redline 5w20 before in his older tdi that had deleted emissions stuff. I think the runs are posted in the used diesel oil analysis and I think he drove across the Arizona desert with the Neo 0w5. From my limited knowledge emissions kills the oils. Ironically I saw one of best tdi oil analysis with dpf and emissions intact was with Delvac esp, which in turn could clog the dpf if you have excessive oil consumption. The only diesel application I have seen than gets awesome wear numbers seems to be the duramax diesels with or without emissions. I have a 2011 tdi which has 195000 miles in it now-but j generally change oil around 7500 or before have never done 10000 recommended.

I did the 10k changes when the maintenance was free, but even then I think I had them do the service a little early at ~9k miles. I imagine I'll stick to 6k-8k OCI's now that I'll be doing the service myself. I do a lot of towing with the car so it can't hurt to change the oil a bit early imo.

I'd suggest trying Mobil 1 0W40. It has a starting TBN of 11.8, far higher than the 6.0-6.5 of a 507 oil, also 25% more Zn/P. I'm going to use it my 09 BMW X5 35d which had the same things befall it as yours. I have a stage 1 Malone tune. MPG seems to have gone up 10%, i.e. "CO2 emissions down 10%".

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
I'd suggest trying Mobil 1 0W40. It has a starting TBN of 11.8, far higher than the 6.0-6.5 of a 507 oil, also 25% more Zn/P. I'm going to use it my 09 BMW X5 35d which had the same things befall it as yours. I have a stage 1 Malone tune. MPG seems to have gone up 10%, i.e. "CO2 emissions down 10%".

Charlie

Nice! I've seen at least a 10% increase in hwy MPG. Before the tune and delete I could get 45-47mpg hwy if I was actively trying to drive efficiently...now after the tune I get that without even trying and when I do try 50+mpg is pretty easy. I got my first 700+ mile tank on 13.8 gal of diesel the other day
smile.gif

Where are you going to buy it from? I can't seem to find it at the usual spots. I found the regular Mobil 1 0w40, but not the Turbo diesel 0w40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DerekG

Where are you going to buy it from? I can't seem to find it at the usual spots. I found the regular Mobil 1 0w40, but not the Turbo diesel 0w40.

I don't use Turbodiesel 5W40. In my Unimog I use Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 which has a TBN of 16 and ash=1.9%. I'll use Mobil 1 0W40 in the BMW.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: DerekG
I found the regular Mobil 1 0w40, but not the Turbo diesel 0w40.

That is the one. In North America, that's the name the product goes by. Elsewhere in the world, they have the Turbodiesel 0w-40 nomenclature, but that would probably cause no end of confusion here, with people afraid to use it in their gassers needing an A3/B3 A3/B4 lube or people buying it instead of M1 TDT 5w-40 for their diesel trucks. Look at my confusion in my oil choice.
wink.gif

2011 Golf TDi:

I became disillusioned with Castrol back in the Hydro-cracking days - when I figured out that SynTech wasn't really a synthetic oil.

For some odd reason, I sent my oil out for analysis at the 30k OCI. This was probably because my free maintenance expired prior under the time portion, and I changed my own oil.

What I found was somewhat alarming - seems there were elevated wear metals: Iron was shown @ 88, Aluminum @ 20.

Blackstone's comments as follows: "We're glad you weren't dead-set on extending your oil interval, because we probably wouldn't recommend it this time, given the high level of iron we found here. Iron is from steel parts, and it typically tracks with oil use. Since averages are based on ~8,600 miles of oil use, we'd expect to see a lower-than-average level of iron on this shorter oil run. This could show excess wear at steel parts, although with everything else looking good, we're not ready to call any major issues yet. The TBN is good at 3.5, but stick with ~5,000 miles next oil to monitor."

So, I did some research, and found that a few other owners had posted similar result. And yes, I sent the Castrol LL03 to the great recycle bin @ The Zone with only 500 miles after reading the report.

Same time, I decided to give Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 a whirl. I also installed a magnetic drain plug. Oil analysis was rerun @ 35k OCI.

I suspected that the magnet would reduce the iron content at time of analysis - but was really surprised that aluminum content had been greatly reduced. The results: Iron @ 19, and aluminum @ 6.

The next plunge - I decided to run Mobil 1 0W-40 at the 35k OCI. I like it, but feel it is too heavy for the 2.0 CR TDi. My engine doesn't seem to spin up as fast. And on a recent 400 mile jaunt, my fuel economy dropped from 42-3-ish, down to 34 mpg at normal interstate speeds - and then previously I had achieved 38-40 mpg @ sub-warp speed.

I certainly have no concern about the 0W-40, but I am returning to the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 at next 5k OCI - which should be 40k. I am undecided if I will have the 0W-40 analyzed.

If you have not done oil analysis, and you value your car's engine, highly recommend you give some consideration to the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30.

For some reason I can't post the Blackstone image - not sure why.

Good luck.

I find it ironic that low saps oils recommended to protect the emission system when the emission system pollutes the engine and a higher saps oil probably would be better for wear. Conversely when you delete the emission system you can use any High performance high saps oil you want what it's really not as necessary. The other irony is you get significantly better gas mileage when you pollute more with the emission system deleted and get worse mileage with emission system intact. I have a 2011 Volkswagen TDI golf with nearly 200,000 miles and I were just about 38 miles a gallon which is notably lower than people who had the emission system deleted. I guess the final irony is the emission systems on Volkswagens are illegal with regards to nitrogen Pollutants. I had the first diesel particulate filter replaced under warranty thank God at 73,000 miles. My emissions light is on now and was diagnosed as insufficient EGR flow which suggested the diesel particulate filter is cracked and the entire system needs replacement. A local European mechanic premier Autowerks in york pa would do the job for under 2000-the dpf is $1195 itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back