Atkinson (Miller) Cycle - Why not seeing more now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah its true Atkinson cycles are all the rage for hybrids, and Mazda did a Miller Cycle in the late '90's, yet why is Toyota just now getting around to them in other vehicles, and other car companies not using this trick at all?

VVT and a computer is about all you need to implement it. And either run a Miller cycle variant of the Atkinson, or up the displacement by 1/2 a liter, or switch back to Otto Cycle on-the-fly to get the low-end torque you want. I haven't heard emissions are especially difficult, and I think it'll work with DI and DoD just fine.

Any reasons why its taking so long?

Last edited:
The 1/2L thing is huge in Europe since vehicle registration rates go up dramatically when you pass 1.5L. That is why Ford replaced the 1.6L EB with a 1.5L.

agree, good question. it'd be easy at cruise to switch to atkinson cycle, open the throttle electronically to compensate for any drop in torque, and keep going. seems like it'd be a no-brainer.

the problem is the compression ratio in atkinson at the range of 13:1. that requires use of premium if you switched from atkinson to otto cycle in the same engine. mazda is doing some of that in skyactive technology and using all sorts of tricks to accomplish it with regular gasoline, so it's not easy.

The modern interpretation of an Atkinson cycle design is keeping the intake valve open after the power stroke begins, allowing some intake gasses to flow back into the intake manifold. A number of engines use this strategy without advertising it, such as Honda's ubiquitous R-series engine (1.8L engine in Civics and such).

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/RiVTEC/

Quote:
First, the intake valve closure timing is delayed to a very long period, way into the piston upstroke part of the cycle. The idea is to allow air to enter the cylinders freely, without using the throttle butterfly to artificially restrict air-flow. Then by opening the intake valves right through to the piston upstroke part of the cycle, the excess amount of air-fuel mixture that is in the cylinder will be expelled by the upward stroke of the pistons out through the intake valves and back into the intake manifold. When the amount of air-fuel mixture left remaining in the cylinder/combustion chamber is the desired amount, only then will the intake valves be closed. So instead of using the throttle butterly to control or limit the amount of air entering the engine, we allow the air to enter the cylinders and then push the unwanted amount out of the cylinders. So the exact amount of air we want is now controlled by the timing of the intake valve closure. In this way, the throttle valve/butterfly is not used/needed and it is allowed to remain wide open even under low-load conditions. This contributes to a a major reduction in pumping losses - up to 16% reduction according to Honda's calcuations. Combined with comprehensive friction-reducing measures, this results in a significant increase in fuel efficiency for the engine itself.

The new DBW (Drive By Wire) system on the R18A now constitutes a major and crucial part of the R18A's SOHC i-VTEC mechanism. Firstly, it provides the high-precision control over the throttle valve required while the valve timing is being changed over, ensuring smooth driving performance that leaves the driver unaware of any torque fluctuations. Secondly, and more importantly, during the economy mode there is the unusual, and conflicting situation where while the throttle pedal is at an almost completely closed position, the throttle butterfly in the throttle body is in an almost completely opened position, the exact opposite ! However, this relationship only applies when the engine is running in economy mode, when VTEC has activated the fuel economy cam lobes. In normal running, the normal relationship between throttle pedal position and throttle butterfly opening remains, i.e. light throttle means small throttle butterfly opening, etc. Thus the SOHC i-VTEC mechanism used in the R18A is only possible with a DBW system.

It's very much a multi-mode system as suggested by the OP. Honda's implementation overcomes the traditional disadvantage of a true Atkinson cycle design, which is reduced power density. This is why they are commonly used where an electric motor can supplement (such as a hybrid). But, as OP states, creative valve timing can effectively approximate an Atkinson cycle in an Otto cycle engine, and that is being used today in mainstream vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

It's very much a multi-mode system as suggested by the OP. Honda's implementation overcomes the traditional disadvantage of a true Atkinson cycle design, which is reduced power density. This is why they are commonly used where an electric motor can supplement (such as a hybrid). But, as OP states, creative valve timing can effectively approximate an Atkinson cycle in an Otto cycle engine, and that is being used today in mainstream vehicles.

true, but without the benefit of increased compression like full-time Atkinson or mazda's skyactive. remember, part of fuel efficiency advantage of Atkinson is in elimination of pulling a vacuum and another is longer exhaust stroke.

Right -- those higher compression ratios are used to overcome Aktinson's inherently lower power density.

I think the real answer to the OP's question is: there isn't one "right" answer. There's not a silver bullet technology that has all pros and no cons. You see all sorts of manufacturers using different strategies for getting the most power they can out of the least amount of fuel. Some have gone to smaller displacement turbocharged engines. Some have used electric hybrid technology. Some have gone to real high compression ratios. Some have focused on variable valve timing and lift. Some have used some form of variable displacement or displacement on demand. Some have switched to direct injection, and most use drive by wire. Many use a combination of technologies.

Atkinson, like Otto, has both advantages and disadvantages. If a vehicle maker is not using one particular technology, I'm sure it's not for lack of knowledge. It's likely, instead, that they don't feel that the cost/benefit of that particular type of engine fits their portfolio.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Does the new Honda Accord 4 cylinder 'Earth Dreams' engine use this technology ?

I don't think so. I think the K-series engine uses a more traditional cam phasing system where it can advance or retard the camshaft timing to some degree, but not like in the R-series. But don't take that as gospel -- I could be wrong.

Many things are happening in lots of places.
Including some strategies I haven't seen mentioned on this board before.
It's a matter of sorting out what combination of technologies meets fuel economy standards most cost-effectively.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you want to see it develop in a practical application in the future just watch Mazda.
Might b true. Mazda Millenia's Miller Cycle engine back in the 90's could be brought back in some new evolution, with or without supercharger, maybe with an electrical motor driven supercharger this time around. Miller is basically Atkinson on steroids (supercharged for low rpm torque).

Interesting. I guess Toyota and Lexus are really going for it now:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/01/how-it-works-2016-toyota-tacomas-atkinson-cycle.html
"Atkinson cycle engines are 12 to 14 percent more efficient than a standard gas engine, leading to what are expected to be class-leading fuel economy ratings."

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/08/20150817-tacoma.html
"The new Atkinson Cycle V6 will generate 278 hp (207 kW), an increase of 42 HP over the previous 4.0-liter V6, and 265 lb-ft (359 N·m) of torque at 4600 rpm. Estimated city/highway/combined mpg for the 4x2 automatic is 19/24/21"
"The 2.7-liter Otto Cycle 4-cyl engine will produce 159 hp (119 kW) and 180 lb-ft (244 N·m) of torque @ 4000 rpm. EPA estimated city/highway/combined mpg for the 4x2 with an automatic transmission is 19/23/21"

The powerful V6 beats the weaker I4 in MPG. Not bad.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
"The new Atkinson Cycle V6 will generate 278 hp (207 kW), an increase of 42 HP over the previous 4.0-liter V6, and 265 lb-ft (359 N·m) of torque at 4600 rpm. Estimated city/highway/combined mpg for the 4x2 automatic is 19/24/21"

You know, just found out the 2016 Ram 1500 HFE 2WD gets 18 city / 25 highway in a slightly bigger truck, about the same horsepower as the Atkinson Tacoma. Very similar MPG.
Conclusion: Atkinson can be good, but Ram can do other things to get that in an Otto.

Tall gearing and lean burn (if you can get it lean without driving NOx output up too much) can do a lot to keep pumping losses down and help out mpg. At that point, there's less to gain from going Atkinson or Miller cycle, as you've already dropped the pumping losses a good bit.

Looking at the numbers from the Ram vs the Tacoma, the Ram suffers a bit from the extra weight in the city regardless of engine efficiency, but the combination of aerodynamics and drivetrain does better at a highway cruise.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/10/hyundai-unveils-105ps-16l-engine-for.html

Hyundai Unveils 105PS 1.6L Engine For Upcoming Dedicated Hybrid, Plus New 8-Speed Auto
Arriving in markets in early 2016, the new unit marks Hyundai’s first combination of the Atkinson cycle, cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) and a long stroke specification to maximize thermal efficiency. Thanks to these features, the new Kappa HEV engine alone delivers a 3 percent gain in fuel economy and achieves an increased engine thermal efficiency of 40 percent. The engine is rated at 105PS (104hp) and 147Nm (108lb-ft) of torque.

http://www.gizmag.com/toyota-atkinson-engines-improved-thermal-fuel-efficiency/31615/

Toyota's astonishing new Atkinson Cycle engine delivers 78 mpg
Toyota has announced the development of two hyper-fuel-efficient small-displacement petrol Atkinson cycle engines: a three-cylinder 1.0-liter and four-cylinder 1.3-liter which will be introduced across the range from next year in 14 different variations. The smaller engine will deliver 78 mpg (US) in the Toyota Aygo, an improvement of 30 percent.

Great articles wemay. Wish more engine makers would tell us the peak thermal efficiency figures (40% iz highest I've ever heard of...) for all their engines that come out. And cooled EGR to densify the charge, very cool....

Great articles wemay. Wish more engine makers would tell us the peak thermal efficiency figures (40% iz highest I've ever heard of...) for all their engines that come out. And cooled EGR to densify the charge, very cool....

40% is the highest for gasoline engine. that's also the figure for the upcoming 2016 prius too. the existing prius figure is about 38%

And cooled EGR is nothing new. has been used in prius since 2009.
the upcoming jump in the efficiency is by using more EGR.

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back