DIFFERENT OILS AND NO FILTER ON ENGINE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Bypasses open every day, especially in the winter, with all oil grades.

They also open under heavy acceleration.

99.9999% ultra filtering efficiency is not required in any automotive engine but is, instead, marketing oneupsmanship for aftermarket filter manufacturers.

Do you have data to support this?

Per Gary Allen on-board testing with a delta-p gauge across the oil filter, it was even pretty hard to get the filter to go into bypass on cold days unless your really revved up the engine just after a cold start-up. So unless some crazy driver is smashing the throttle after a 20 deg F start-up, it's pretty rare for the filter bypass valve to open, unless of course the filter is very clogged up with crud.

The problem with delta-P is that gauge pressure does not tell you that the BPV is open, closed, partially opened, leaking, or whatever. Its just a differential pressure gauge. To see if BPV is open, one needs a sensor on that valve, or a glass window on the filter.
I use differential pressure as a means to see if a non bypass equipped filter is too restrictive for the application, or simple has loaded up and needs a change. Definitely not to be used as an eyeball on what the BPV is doing. Questionable data!

The good ol' days when a BPV and positive displacement oil pumps aren't enough together.

https://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/Filtration/TSB FL-2009-05-01 EaO Toyota.pdf

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
The problem with delta-P is that gauge pressure does not tell you that the BPV is open, closed, partially opened, leaking, or whatever. Its just a differential pressure gauge. To see if BPV is open, one needs a sensor on that valve, or a glass window on the filter.
I use differential pressure as a means to see if a non bypass equipped filter is too restrictive for the application, or simple has loaded up and needs a change. Definitely not to be used as an eyeball on what the BPV is doing. Questionable data!

The good ol' days when a BPV and positive displacement oil pumps aren't enough together.

https://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/Filtration/TSB FL-2009-05-01 EaO Toyota.pdf

It is true of course that this setup isn't going to tell you if the valve is leaking (a defect) and it isn't going to tell you if you have a hole in the media either. But assuming a properly functioning filter that is not defective it does tell you what the differential is and subsequently whether you are bypassing the media or not as the bypass is designed to open at a specific differential pressure and below that, on a properly functioning filter, should be closed.

But you are right that it does allow for margin of error in terms of potential defects that are not easily tested for and wouldn't be made readily apparent by simply tracking the differential.

Far from perfect, yes. But it does give you an idea as to the bypass characteristics for the engine it is tested on.

Originally Posted By: BOBISTHEOILGUY

no matter what filter you use, I wouldn't use any more than 3k miles. after that, they seem to be in bypass mode no matter what.

This is the funniest thing I have read all day!

Originally Posted By: BOBISTHEOILGUY

no matter what filter you use, I wouldn't use any more than 3k miles. after that, they seem to be in bypass mode no matter what.

33.gif

Last edited:
I don't know what's more appalling ...

The quoted statement above, or that one felt it necessary to drag out a thread dating back a decade?

grin.gif

As long as no oil is too thin on start up and oil filters are used, they are not dead..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back