5.7L LT1: Napa Silver 31036 vs. AC Delco PF52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read in its entirety before responding.

I have a '96 Buick Roadmaster with the LT1 engine. The odometer reads 59k and I drive it about 1-2k miles a year and no more than 3k. Unfortunately she stays parked on the street in an urban environment that includes and lot of traffic and buses passing by, therefore, a lot of dirt and debris in the air. It's a hot and humid setting year around. I give her a car wash once every 2 weeks and a wax every other car wash. I change out her oil and filter once a year. This time she will be getting PUP. Before one says "why PUP if you don't put up much mileage and change it out once a year?"- it's because it came out to the same price as ST synthetic after rebate.

With that being said I want to treat her right without 'overkilling' it meaning- putting on a Napa Platinum every year when it doesn't need one. I want the best filter for the application without overpaying for something that isn't even needed. I understand I can put on a Platinum or Fram Ultra and change it out once every 2 or 3 years but it doesn't feel right doing that. I feel like that's taking a shower and then putting on the same dirty underwear as before. Call me old school but I like a new filter every OCI. I am open to opinions though.

That being said, I feel that the Napa Silver 31036 and AC Delco PF52 are the best filters for my situation. Does anyone have any opinions as to which one is better than the other and why? I am also open to other filter recommendations preferably under $6 but do not say fram EG or TG, or Purolator Classics. I will not take those into consideration. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I forgot to mention I'm talking about the original PF52. Not the PF52e. E-core's are terrible.

Last edited:
I used to have a 97 Z28 Camaro with the 5.7L LT1. I used Delco filters several times with no problem whatsoever. Never used any Napa filters because I didn't know they existed. That being said, AC Delco filters did fine, sometimes I even used STP and Fram filters with no problem. If you are looking for other options in that price range, I highly recommend the standard bosch oil filters. I have used several of those as well and they did great. I no longer have that vehicle, but have used those filters on other cars as well. Something to consider, others may have different opinions. Bosch Filter Link

Last edited:
The PF52, like most AC Delcos, is an Ecore. Carboard end caps and a plastic center cage. Therefore, the Napa Silver is the better choice out of the two.

Another good option is the Carquest Red, now available at AAP. Your car would take part number R85036.

1-2k per year, are those short trips or are they 10miles or more? If you are getting the oil hot, then the pup would be good for 2 years. A fram ultra or Mobil one filter would be my choice.

Efficiencies or info that I could find

Bosch: Key Features
The Premium filtration media has the capacity to hold up to 14 grams of dirt* in the filter media
A high glass content is woven into the blended media, providing greater efficiency and strength by trapping 99% of the particulates from getting into the engine
Proper fit - a Bosch Premium Oil Filter will fit and stay on the vehicle the same way as the original filter
Extensive coverage on domestic, Asian and European vehicles
*Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on 3500

AC DELCO: Outstanding filter capacity, enhanced efficiency, consistent flow management and high-durability design help provide exceptional filtering performance. 98 percent single-pass filtering efficiency at 25-30 microns for excellent filtering capabilities. Patented cellulose media traps particles 1/3 the width of a human hair to help provide a clean supply of oil to engine components. Thermosetting adhesive seals hold filtering media in place for consistent, dependable filtration. Designed with five times greater burst strength than most engine oil operating pressures after the oil reaches operating temperatures. Application coverage for 97 percent of all cars, light-duty trucks and sport utility vehicles, both foreign and domestic.

Napa Silver: Cellulose Media - 10% More Cellulose Than A Traditional Economy Filter, Nitrile Rubber Anti-Drain Back Valve
The NAPA Silver Oil Filter Line Is The "GOOD" Filter Choice In The NAPA Family Of Filters When Using Conventional Motor Oils.

For your price range Bosch is what I'd pick if you really don't want a Fram Ultra
smile.gif

Last edited:
napa is wix and Wix is one of the best filters although the fram ultra is synthetic and at that mileage you can keep it on 2 years.

So, a premium filter with better filtering efficiency will make you feel dirty, but a cheap one that doesn't filter as well will make you feel better. OK.

I have the exact same wagon. Done 3 OCI's on one FU, and you can see the the colored factory markings on my cylinder head castings at 134k miles. But whatever floats your boat.

Wow look at all of these quick replies.

Originally Posted By: Ga129
I used to have a 97 Z28 Camaro with the 5.7L LT1. I used Delco filters several times with no problem whatsoever. Never used any Napa filters because I didn't know they existed. That being said, AC Delco filters did fine, sometimes I even used STP and Fram filters with no problem. If you are looking for other options in that price range, I highly recommend the standard bosch oil filters. I have used several of those as well and they did great. I no longer have that vehicle, but have used those filters on other cars as well. Something to consider, others may have different opinions. Bosch Filter Link

That's too bad you don't have that car anymore. Thank you for providing all of their filtering effiencies on another post below. Very helpful. That bosch looks like a decent filter. Don't have any previous experience with it. I will look into it some more.
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Another good option is the Carquest Red, now available at AAP. Your car would take part number R85036.

I completely forgot about those wonderful carquests! Slipped my mind. Now it makes it that much harder which to choose adding carquest into the mix.

Filter going to be on that long I would use the Wix 51036 or NAPA Gold equivalent because they have the silicone ADBV and are rated for 7500 miles. If you have NAPA in your area, they run 10% discount all the time for online orders. NAPA would be $6.00 with the discount. I had the Wix 51036 on my car, and it did great, but I saved a little money this time around, and just used the PF52E ecore which is working good so far.

^ Interesting.. thanks. Yes I have a NAPA close by and already knew about the online 10% discount. What I found out recently is that they also give 10% discount if you show them your AAA card. Wonder if I can combine both discounts lol.

Yes AAA gets the discount all the time too. Instead of ordering online to get the discount, I just go to my local NAPA, and tell them what the online price was, which is 10% discount, and they just give it to me right at the register now.

You may not like Fram filters or may think the Ultra is overpriced. I just bought a case of 6 Fram Pro Synthetic filters for $35.94 including shipping on eBay. Google them. They are identical to the Ultra except for the paint.

^ No, I have no gripe against fram ultra's. In fact, I think they are great filters at a great price. I currently have one on my daily driver. I just feel that putting an ultra on a car that will get max 3k miles in one year is a bit of a 'waste.'

So we got 2 for carquest over napa silver and ac delco non e-core.

I know you said you already have the oil because you bought it with the rebate. Next time you buy oil, go to Autozone, a lot of the time you can get the majority of the full syn oils with a bosch filter as a package and a decent price. Thought I'd mention that.

Originally Posted By: gallydif
If you are looking for other options in that price range, I highly recommend the standard bosch oil filters. I have used several of those as well and they did great.

That bosch looks like a decent filter. Don't have any previous experience with it. I will look into it some more.

The regular Bosch filters are basically a Purolator PureOne, and have been reported to tear just like the Purolators. Only Bosch I'd consider is the Distance Plus. But it will probably cost more than an Ultra. I'd just run an Ultra for 2x 3K OCIs or 2 years. It sounds like you want to take care of this car, so is $9 every 2 years gonna kill ya?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: gallydif
If you are looking for other options in that price range, I highly recommend the standard bosch oil filters. I have used several of those as well and they did great.

That bosch looks like a decent filter. Don't have any previous experience with it. I will look into it some more.

The regular Bosch filters are basically a Purolator PureOne, and have been reported to tear just like the Purolators. Only Bosch I'd consider is the Distance Plus. But it will probably cost more than an Ultra. I'd just run an Ultra for 2x 3K OCIs or 2 years. It sounds like you want to take care of this car, so is $9 every 2 years gonna kill ya?
wink.gif

I'm not saying I disagree with your statement, but I am curious what the actual fail rate is with those filters having media tears? I would also like to point out that if you did decide to use a brand like that and have something like that happen, you should hold the company accountable and make them pay reparations where they are due.

Last edited:
Hey Ga129, thanks for informing me of the monthly specials at AZ. You have been very informative throughout this thread. I already knew they had them at AAP and it comes with a driveworks filter and you can upgrade to a Pure1 for $2 more (hopefully they substitute those driveworks for carquest's soon).

Well well well- ZeeOsix. I know we haven't always exactly seen eye to eye in the past and frankly, am surprised you commented in my thread. Nice that you did though. Yes, I do care for this car. You're right- it won't kill me to spend $9 on a filter but I may have a heart attack for using it for more than 1 OCI though lol. Old habits die hard so to speak. So Bosch's tear like the P classics and Pure1's huh? I'm going to have to look into this as I didn't know about this until now

Which one comes out to have the supposed better efficiency rating? What formula would you use so I can do it next time:
Carquest red: 94.1% efficiency rating @ 20 microns.
AC Delco PF52: 98% efficiency rating @ 25-30 microns.

Lastly, how do I post an image so that there is no need for a link?

rm%202.jpeg
[/img]

Last edited:
Your link address was wrong ... here ya go. You have to pick the "IMG" in the "Share This Photo" option.

rm%202.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back