How Bad Did I Screw-up This Time???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Topping-up an Interstate Megatron II with distilled water and slightly overfilled one cell. Got the brilliant idea to twist a paper towel into a rope to wick out the excess water. A small piece (about 1/4" square)of towel broke off and floated away. I assume it will dissolve/disintegrate and not cause any problems but thought I would ask what you folks think. Not the dumbest thing I have done but it ranks right up there! Thanks.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
A screw up would be putting gummy worm bait in your battery. Or your sump.

cheers3.gif

Dunno. Probably OK, but batteries are subtle and mysterious things.

Might hydrolyse a bit but I don't THINK any polysaccharides will have an effect on the battery chemistry.

The cellulose isn't a conductor so it shouldn't itself cause a short, but it MIGHT provide a substrate for, say, deposition of sulphate crystals, which could, though that is pure speculation.

IF you're concerned, you could tip the electrolyte out and filter it, though its probably not worth the hassle.

Soaking up the electrolyte with a towel might have lost you some acid unless it hadn't yet mixed with the water you added.

Originally Posted By: Shark
I wouldn't worry about it. I live in Kennett Square btw.

I live closer to Kennett, just behind LW Gardens. Lived here my whole life except for a bunch of job transfers. WC is my mailing address. Small world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back