60/40 Atifreeze/Water Ratio too strong or OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

This is concerning a Motorhome with a Chevy 454 which is in the repair shop for Blown Head Gaskets and almost ready to roll.

I have been hearing that too strong Antifreeze mixture can potentially gel up or circulate slower along with reduced heat transfer setting up a recipe for overheating
and a Blown head gasket all over again. The Last thing I need after a 1700 dollar bill for Head Gaskets and water pump.

A 50/50 textbook mix is good to -34 F. The Repair Shop has it at - 50 F Freeze protection or approx. 60/40.

Any thoughts and opinions?

Absolutely OK!

I've been doing it here in Minnesota for MANY years.

Originally Posted By: stopngo
I have been hearing that too strong Antifreeze mixture can potentially gel up or circulate slower along with reduced heat transfer

Do what now?

Not sure where you heard those gems, but they are absolutely Coo-coo for Cocoa Puffs... 10% more antifreeze mixture gels up or circulates slower?!

60% antifreeze is absolutely fine.

Thanks Y'all I see this an active forum by the quick responses.

Quote:
I'd be much more concerned with what exact antifreeze they actually put in.

Universal Green...........Old Cast Iron Block and Head. OK??

More antifreeze for lower freezing point, more water for better heat transfer. Overheating is only likely with heavy loads AND high ambient temps for prolonged periods. Will you be loading/ towing 100lb+ in/whith vehicle in 110 degree weather?

Originally Posted By: stopngo
Thanks Y'all I see this an active forum by the quick responses.

Quote:
I'd be much more concerned with what exact antifreeze they actually put in.

Universal Green...........Old Cast Iron Block and Head. OK??

If you're talking about conventional green, just remember that service life is 2 years/30,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
More antifreeze for lower freezing point, more water for better heat transfer. Overheating is only likely with heavy loads AND high ambient temps for prolonged periods. Will you be loading/ towing 100lb+ in/whith vehicle in 110 degree weather?

Yeah this. Isn't cooling sometimes marginal in these huge buses anyway?

10...4 to the lifespan of the antifreeze

And as for heavy loading...towing or high ambient temps ..........NO

Quote:
Yeah this. Isn't cooling sometimes marginal in these huge buses anyway?

Hence my concern. Anyway I guess I can always drain it all and start from scratch using an anti freeze tester and pre mixing to adjust.

They recommend 50/50 for people living in civilized areas and 60/40 for the uncivilized north areas like Minnesota.

If your in Eureka, Canada (which is normally the coldest spot in North America) and is -18F today, probably just don't go out and keep car in heated garage.

Just consider topping off with the same mix or just water. Topping off with pure A/F might not be a good idea. You can check the mix with a hydrometer and if you live in a cold area it's a good idea to check every once in a while.

Also take note that 50/50 is fluid to -35 but if you get a surge of cold worse than that you could be safe from bursting as it gets kinda slushy first. You wouldn't want to run it as it wouldn't pump, but it would store ok.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

If you're talking about conventional green, just remember that service life is 2 years/30,000 miles.

my 25 year old BMW has had only 2 coolant changes with green AF, and the engine is like new with original rad and cooling pump. no corrosion inside

Originally Posted By: Dyusik

To a point of course, the sweet spot is about 65%.
freezept.gif

The Old Green Anti freeze is great stuff....That being said: It is Silicone based (Sand included) and Any mixture above 50 percent is going to play havoc on water pump Shaft seals. quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One undesirable property of silicates is that they are abrasive and over time can contribute to wear of water pump seals, as well as other components.

1. If you're engine runs too hot with 60/40, it's going to run too hot with 50/50. Swinging around your AF mixture is not going to solve a deficient cooling system.

2. Many AF makers approve the use of their coolants up to 70%.

3. Running 60/40 mixture will not ever, ever, ever result in a mechanical problem with your engine. No chance in hades.

Originally Posted By: cat843
They recommend 50/50 for people living in civilized areas and 60/40 for the uncivilized north areas like Minnesota.

The cold keeps out most of the riff/raff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back