Rear struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

I assume it is strictly for the front end of most non-HD autos.

Your assumption is wrong. Rear struts are EXTREMELY common on many cars.

Yes, many cars have struts at the rear.

And that doesn't even include the shocks that have springs on them but aren't technically struts.

Not too bad if quick struts are available. What kind of car do you have?

Yeah, Camrys are noted for having rear struts, as well as I think the GM W-body cars (Impala, Grand Prix, etc). They were, to my recollection, MacPherson type designs, with a strut tower vertically with two lower bolts on the knuckle. That provides the damping, load carrying ability, and also camber control. More links are obviously needed for control on other axes.

You also have coil-over-shock designs, where the spring and damper are combined into one unit, even though they provide nothing other than damping and load carrying ability. The Honda CR-V is an example of that. Our current Ridgeline actually is, too. The spring and damper are one assembly, but there are separate links for positional control including camber, toe, etc.

I wouldn't write off struts as light duty either. The old Neon(all struts) caught something with the RR tire in the infield on a off track slide, hard enough to roll the car and spin it 180 and slam it back onto the wheels. It hit hard enough to bend my seat rails down and pop the strut tower up in the FL corner a good 1/2".
A new driver seat and a passenger side mirror and I was back on the road for another year or so with all the same suspension components. Even now it works good as a field car, does small jumps without breaking anything so far.

Nissan used them on the Maxima from 1985 to 1994. They used it on the Sentra from the late 80s to 1994.
GM used them on many W-body cars. I think the A-body also used them.
Toyota still uses it on the Camry. During the 80s and 90s it was also used in the Corolla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back