Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, we got the Frequency Modulated
The seemingly defunct Amplitude Modulation
Old school trucker Citizen's Band

Lets forget the satellites!

What about the police?

How about this digital FM I hear about?

Also, and mainly, I am intrigued with shortwave transmissions.

Is there really anything else?

Go find an old Zenith T/O and knock yourself out with all of the bands. Pre-FM is especially interesting since AM was called BC back then.

Amateur radio is alive and well, so there are single sideband, continuous wave (Morse code), digital modes like PSK31, AMTOR, and radio teletype, and a variety of others. For phone (voice) it's usually single sideband or FM. A few old timers use AM. Nearly all shortwave broadcasts are AM.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

What about the police?

Don't touch the antenna on a HUMMVEE when someone is transmitting.
laugh.gif

There's nothing better than some static heard, especially during thunderstorms. Gives me a warm feeling all over.

AM and FM are about how the sound is modulated onto the radio signal. Digital TV uses QAM, cell networks and WiFi use OFDM... You can look all this up on Wikipedia.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
There was a Vintage Hallicrafters sx76 receiver on Ebay last week. Was gone in a day. That was my first ham radio receiver.

Info here
My latest find is a Collins 75S1 WITH the optional CW filter. The filter, if you can find one, is worth as much as the radio.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

What about the police?

Don't touch the antenna on a HUMMVEE when someone is transmitting.
laugh.gif

An antenna which stays up all winter isn't big enough. You need to look into an amateur radio license. Just GOOGLE the "ARRL" for info.

Last edited:
"When wireless is perfectly applied the whole earth will be converted into a huge brain, which in fact it is, all things being particles of a real and rhythmic whole. We shall be able to communicate with one another instantly, irrespective of distance. Not only this, but through television and telephony we shall see and hear one another as perfectly as though we were face to face, despite intervening distances of thousands of miles; and the instruments through which we shall be able to do his will be amazingly simple compared with our present telephone. A man will be able to carry one in his vest pocket.”

Tesla in 1926

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
There was a Vintage Hallicrafters sx76 receiver on Ebay last week. Was gone in a day. That was my first ham radio receiver.

Info here
My latest find is a Collins 75S1 WITH the optional CW filter. The filter, if you can find one, is worth as much as the radio.

good find!
restoring a 75a4 and kws1 now....

Back in the '70's I used to do some pretty cool stuff with CB Radios, back when they were 23 channels.

I would make my own breadboards with Crystals, etc. and find people talking on other frequencies. A friend & I would play around with a VFO (Variable Frequency Oscillator), boosted Modulation, a boot, Starduster antenna, lol.

Some of you may know what I am talking about.....

It launched a huge career (mine) in Electronics & Mechanical Engineering, developing a lot of Defense & Medical Devices.

If I never did that, many processes & products may not have been successfully accomplished.
smile.gif

Sure. Get a spectrum chart and a shortwave guide and go at it. Why just listen to US radio?

One year I listened to shortwave broadcasts from Australia, across Europe, then the US east coast as New Years was celebrated....all from a hand-held shortwave receiver!

There's a lot of modulation going on out there....

I remember AM stereo in the early 80s. There was an AM rock station in Dallas then that was AM stereo. Did it just not catch on I guess?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I remember AM stereo in the early 80s. There was an AM rock station in Dallas then that was AM stereo. Did it just not catch on I guess?

I remember AM stereo. My Dad's K-car was the only radio I remember having it, but the only AM station in the area that was in stereo was talk! They have AM HD now.

Hey, Papa Bear

I have one of the Canadian made 75A-4's sitting across the office from me ...

Those were good times. Except for the loud mouth who would be hollering skipland, skipland...
Originally Posted By: Turk
Back in the '70's I used to do some pretty cool stuff with CB Radios, back when they were 23 channels.

I would make my own breadboards with Crystals, etc. and find people talking on other frequencies. A friend & I would play around with a VFO (Variable Frequency Oscillator), boosted Modulation, a boot, Starduster antenna, lol.

Some of you may know what I am talking about.....

It launched a huge career (mine) in Electronics & Mechanical Engineering, developing a lot of Defense & Medical Devices.

If I never did that, many processes & products may not have been successfully accomplished.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back