Oil Change 1996 Lawn Boy Silver w Tecumseh 4 cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had the same 1996 Lawn boy since new, still runs fine, starts 80% on first pull if it is primed enough :eek:)

Winterized, sprayed deck top and bottom with Rust Check, added stabilizer in gas, fresh 10W30 Valvoline Maxlife and new gas cap. The gas cap is the first replacement part needed in 19 years (Not counting plugs, air filters)

It's been a good mower, but I'm thinking it might be replaced in 3 years with something that is more fuel efficient. Appreciate your thoughts.

Is lower fuel cost the only benefit to "more fuel efficient"?

If so, you either have a lot of grass to cut, or you're keeping the new mower for much longer than your present one.

How much fuel savings is projected with the new mower purchase?

Keep running it until something breaks.

Fuel efficient? How much gas do you use a year?

Those old Tecumseh mower engines loved 20-50. I hada Sears for 22 years, finally the deck just rusted apart. It may still have been possible to buy a new deck from Sears but by that time I wanted a Honda... the landscaping had produced some thick growing grass and the extra HP is nice to have.

The fuel efficiency point is actually more about environmental impact, I agree 100% that the fuel savings do not - by itself - justify the replacement of a working mower.

I am the ISO14001 manager at work, not exactly a task I asked or trained for, but regardless I do it well. At times I think I should do as I preach
grin.gif

My main job function is Purchasing, which might explain why I see value in taking care of my toys and having them last.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
I am the ISO14001 manager at work, not exactly a task I asked or trained for, but regardless I do it well. At times I think I should do as I preach
grin.gif

I speak your language. I've been to 14001 Lead Auditor school -- it's an interesting field.

Regarding efficiency, my suggestion to you is to re-power it with a newer and more efficient engine if that's what you're after. 4-cycle engines have used somewhat standard mounting points for years, and you can very easily slap nearly ANY engine on that deck. I make this suggestion because I feel you'll be disappointed in the quality in nearly anything you can buy today compared with that Lawn-Boy. Deck quality is relatively poor today, handle and control quality is relatively poor today, etc.

Years ago, I had a Honda GCV160 on a 1999 Lawn-Boy 10330. Like yours, it originally came with a Tecumseh engine. The Honda bolted right up, and I used that mower in that configuration for many years.

Tecumseh engines are really nice. The last lawnmower had a tecumseh engine and it out performed the engine on the honda commercial mower that it replaced.

Tecumseh engines are really nice. The last lawnmower had a tecumseh engine and it out performed the engine on the Honda commercial mower that it replaced.

Environuts slay me. So its actually more efficient to prematurely destroy and replace a item before its complete service life to replace it with a like device (since I don't think lawnmower engines are actually leading edge fuel savings developments). How does all the energy used to create a new "Fuel" efficient mower, by about two teaspoons of gas justify a new mower? I ll stick with my two stroke lawn boys that will outlive about two Honda's.

Originally Posted By: super20dan
10-30 is too thin for that engine. use sae 30w

Why would it be? Most manufactures of 4 cycle ope recommend that

10w-30 is just fine. I use what ever bottle has need ounces in it, 5w20/30, usually.

Many push mowers and push trimmers with 4.5+HP Tecumseh on farm over the years. Ran pyb 5/10w-30, gramps fill for life's, out last tires, belts, strumps, decks, trimmers. Maybe Briggs is onto something, xti fill-n-go.
I don't believe in it, but it worked for gramps.

Is there any data available showing that newer mowers are more fuel efficient? Its not like they are FI now, and I don't think cheap as possible carb technology has made any great strides?

I'd keep the older mower until it breaks. Something like this will most likely be built better than something new too.

Ours is on a diet of Castrol TXT 5w40. While it never had a consumption issue, the yard vac with the same engine does. That oil really slowed things down. No UOA to back it up, but in that regard, it seems to like thick oil.

My new B&S powered (7.25) front wheel drive Snapper doesn't seem any more efficient than my older mower, FWIW. I use 15W-40 Delo truck oil in my mowers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LX289

Because a lot of people don't understand motor oil and keep believing myths.

Originally Posted By: NH73
Originally Posted By: LX289

Because a lot of people don't understand motor oil and keep believing myths.

Ever heared of HTHS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back