Very stupid question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Avery4
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Bad idea all around, but if you really can't keep yourself from doing it, rent a tow dolly so you are not flat-towing the Honda, and don't attempt to go faster than 45 mph. Stay off the Interstates so you won't be a rolling chicane, and take your cell phone so you can call a tow service. Hopefully there won't be any hills on your route. Allow plenty of following distance to vehicles ahead of you and anticipate stops well beforehand. Stop every couple of hours and check over your tow rig, let the Stratus cool, check the oil and coolant levels, and rest your nerves.
Should I tow in Drive or 3rd gear?

Don't know what transmission is in your car, but I'm picturing you towing at 45 mph with the engine speed at about 2500-3000 rpm. Whatever gear that is. Does the Stratus have a tach?

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Make sure your fluids are topped off and try not to drop things into the crankcase.

+1
Yes, it seems quite similar to engineer20's trolling.

Assuming that Avery4 is not trolling:

Just ask someone you know with a driver's license to drive one of the civic for you and then give him a ride back. Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: PeteTheFarmer
Don't tow it with the Stratus. PUSH it with the Stratus

Good advice...I should add that if this is the intent, to avoid lugging the engine, you need a good runup and get the push vehicle to cruise speed before starting the pushing.

What I can't figure out is if a person already has a 2014 Civic, why would they get a 2015 Civic ?

And if a person already has two Civics, why would they get a Dodge Stratus ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What I can't figure out is if a person already has a 2014 Civic, why would they get a 2015 Civic ?

And if a person already has two Civics, why would they get a Dodge Stratus ?

Sounds like a good engineering question. Maybe engineer20 can help.

Let's see, UHaul is $19.95 plus 0.79/mile. A 500 mile one-way would cost $414.95 (add on gasoline to that).

Don't you have those day-laborer sites around you? Around here Home Depot has them, and there are a few around EDD or Community Job Center offices. Just get one of those guys who has a license, buy some one-day insurance for him, can get the car there and drive him back the next day for less than $414.95.

Or, sell the car locally, buy another car 500 miles away. As long as the spread is less than $414.95 plus fuel costs you save money.

Originally Posted By: PeteTheFarmer
Don't tow it with the Stratus. PUSH it with the Stratus
And see in front of me how?

Originally Posted By: Avery4
Bad idea all around, but if you really can't keep yourself from doing it, rent a tow dolly so you are not flat-towing the Honda, and don't attempt to go faster than 45 mph. Stay off the Interstates so you won't be a rolling chicane, and take your cell phone so you can call a tow service. Hopefully there won't be any hills on your route. Allow plenty of following distance to vehicles ahead of you and anticipate stops well beforehand. Stop every couple of hours and check over your tow rig, let the Stratus cool, check the oil and coolant levels, and rest your nerves.
Should I tow in Drive or 3rd gear?

Don't know what transmission is in your car, but I'm picturing you towing at 45 mph with the engine speed at about 2500-3000 rpm. Whatever gear that is. Does the Stratus have a tach?
Yes it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back