To engine or not to engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
that is the question that I ask.

Here is the low down:

1997 oldsmobile 88LS 3800(3.8L) All original engine and tranny with very close to 340K miles.

Transmission Chain is slipping and I'm looking at options....

I am not likely to get a new car, I like the car and I have the cash flow to repair. The car's body, suspension and tires are all in excellent condition. Paint is faded here and there, but that does not bother me at all. Engine does not burn oil! yet knock on wood, unless if i run too thin an oil-some of you know i have experimented with that.

Options:

Replace chain only
New/rebuilt tranny
Replace both tranny and engine

Please discuss and ask if you have any questions...

(Trav;hoping you weigh in on this and others who have and enjoy this car, but all perspectives are welcomed)

P.S. Mods hope it's ok here, i weighed whether to put in mechanical/maintenance or here in general automotive topics....

Last edited:
Come up north and buy a parts car for $350 with an engine cradle about to go kablooey. Should be able to find one with 150k.

Then drop the whole kit n kaboodle. The transmissions are a hassle with a passenger driveshaft extension that bolts to the engine in various inane ways.

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/5274333219.html

Thanks for giving others than Trav permission to respond.
A nearly 20 year old worthless GM car with 340K, faded paint and a slipping transmission? I'd only fix the transmission at best.

skyactive: from your perspective and experience

would you just replace the chain? get a new or rebuilt tranny?

thanks

Last edited:
Are you doing the work yourself? A good rebuilt transmission is anywhere from 1300 to 1800 dollars without installation.

You could probably find a similar 3800 powered car with under 150,000 miles for 3000 bucks.

I have had 4 3800 cars. Not sure I would spend the time or money to retransmission one with 340,000 miles.

Keep in mind that if you get a rebuilt engine or transmission you will not get more for the vehicle than you would if you just fixed what was broken. I would fix the chain if its not a lot of labor.

How many miles do you expect to get from the vehicle? Its 20 yrs old and 340K miles. If it was a truck with diesel engine from a state not in rust belt, might be a different story.

greetings mike;

no i wont do the work myself or any heavy work of this type anymore, i was in a car wreck 6 years ago that has left me with some physical challenges.

my auto mechanic's shop owner is my neighbor and long time friend, he has 2 top mechanics with certifications with great experience, but you have to keep them in check too, which is why i ask here for all perspectives

i know what you mean about the prices and the mileage, this car really is solid though.

Last edited:
thanks cat for your perpective:

i plan to keep the car for ever, until I die or i wreck it...which is why i ask about the engine

but to answer your question i am not too concerned about it's resale value as my plans are to drive it into the sunset, or the ground...
smile.gif

Last edited:
It's a car that is closing in on 20 years old. Along with the engine and transmission, you have a 2 decade old car with 340,000 miles on it. Most of the rest of the car is on borrowed time.

For what you're planning to invest in an engine and transmission, you can sell what you have, combine the engine/transmission amounts to it, and find something much newer that will be much more dependable. The reality is that you can probably find a much lower mileage example of your car for less than you'll pay for the engine/transmission replacement. Throwing handfuls of money at your current car just because you have "cash flow" is foolish, and thinking like that will reverse your cash flow rather quickly.

I'm not sure why you're so focused on driving an old GM "into the sunset", it's just a car and there are plenty of others available that won't nickel and dime you while you're riding into that sunset. There's nothing special about a 1997 Oldsmobile.

location in the USA? no rust on suspension i would keep it forever.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
A nearly 20 year old worthless GM car with 340K, faded paint and a slipping transmission? I'd only fix the transmission at best.

skyactiv not everyone is an entitled elitist that can afford multiple german luxury cars

Brybo86, the car has no rust on the body at all and no rust problems on the suspension at all, this car started it's life in texas, i got it from my brother with about 150k miles on it and I live in missouri where it is now and has been exposed to salt on the roads since about 2010( i had it sitting around for a year or two until i put it into service)

i know the history and all the parts that I have replaced on it myself and with my son's help, such as ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings(all new by the way), struts etc... i fix everything that i can myself and let my shop do the heavy work. i can answer anything about parts, if you have specific questions, just let me know
this car is clean and solid.

thanks

Last edited:
thanks madriver for your comment, it helped me remember that i had my shop install a rebuilt transmission on my wife's car about 6 years ago, the mileage on her car then was about 120k or so maybe a bit more, i would have to look that record up,

but my point was that the labor was only $3-400 bucks, the rebuilt tranny was about $800 if i remember correctly and that tranny is still running good in her car with about 120k miles on that rebuilt transmission(so the car has about 240k total)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
location in the USA? no rust on suspension i would keep it forever.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

skyactiv not everyone is an entitled elitist that can afford multiple german luxury cars

And even when they can, they might not want an Audi or VW. I sure as heck don't

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
thanks madriver for your comment, it helped me remember that i had my shop install a rebuilt transmission on my wife's car about 6 years ago, the mileage on her car then was about 120k or so maybe a bit more, i would have to look that record up,

but my point was that the labor was only $3-400 bucks, the rebuilt tranny was about $800 if i remember correctly and that tranny is still running good in her car with about 120k miles on that rebuilt transmission(so the car has about 240k total)

What kind of car? A quality 4T65E rebuild will start at 1300 bucks. I love my 3800's but it might be time man.

I'd compression test the engine and go from there. If the engine is still healthy and running well, I wouldn't spend the money to replace it and would just take care of the trans. If it's got issues and you really want to keep the car, then go ahead and swap the motor as well.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad

What kind of car? A quality 4T65E rebuild will start at 1300 bucks. I love my 3800's but it might be time man.

the wife's car is absolutely nothing to call home about! it's a 94 pontiac sunbird 3 speed, so very true that tranny should be cheaper...

I have not gotten the quote from my shop yet on a rebuilt 4 speed transverse 60 E, but just priced oreilly and autozones between 1200 and 1400 for new ones.

thanks for your feed back

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back