Te Rewa Rewa Bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been down to Taranaki the last couple of days for a funeral, and stayed in New Plymouth overnight. We went for a walk on the coast and found this bridge, I took photos but couldn't do it justice....because the most powerful entity in the region was hiding in the clouds. The bridge has been designed to frame the mountain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Te_Rewa_Rewa_Bridge

800px-Te_Rewa_Rewa.jpg

1280px-Te_Rewa_Rewa1.jpg

In my town the bridge would be covered in graffiti and littered with rubbish. While my families don't come from this region, we have family and close friends here...I come here often, and have strong bonds to the region.

Didn't they find oil off Taranaki a little while ago ?

You might get invaded...

That's a very pretty construction.

No oil, or none to speak of, but huge gas fields, piped all over the North Island. I was coming down this way often then, and saw the pipeline creeping north. A long, long time ago (when I was a kid), New Plymouth had it's own fuel, only enough for the city...and it was called Peak.

Up the road further is one of Muldoon's ''Think Big'' projects - The Motinui plant, turning natural gas into petrol. First they turned it into methanol....and now that's all they do, make methanol. And it's not used in our petrol, no E10 here.

Last edited:
What's with the spines sticking beyond the "big pipe". Decorations or lighting rods? Perhaps it's a drone catcher.

Last edited:
It looks as though some great animal laid down to die. Maybe the architect was a secret paleontologist.

I'll have to ask my daughter if she visited that area yet. She's been in Auckland for 1.5 years now getting her Masters Degree. Looks like a cool structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back