Adding a Quart Every 300 Miles - Change Oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd go 15k on a Fram Ultra. And look to get the engine rebuilt as mentioned. I'd call now to get the ball rolling. Since lead time will probably be a few months.

I've never heard of oil consumption that bad. Your engine is pretty much shot, that's for sure. I'd change the oil with Valvoline conventional 10W-40 & replace one quart with Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. I would use a Fram Ultra & change every 15,000.

Basically, find a thick conventional oil you can get for cheap...

Change the filter once a year or every 15K. A Mobil 1 filter or equivalent should be fine.

If the issue truly is clogged up oil control rings, I'd look more into severe cleaning procedures. Get a can of BG 109 and run that, change the oil and filter afterwards with 1 quart of Rislone or Kreen added in and let er eat. If that puts a dent in the consumption, you know what the culprit is. many many Toyotas suffer from this problem; my Corolla has and I've cut the consumption to almost nothing by doing the above and always using a quart of Rislone with each oil change and Pennzoil High mileage.

It's worth a try.

Get on the phone with Toyota NOW. They will fix this for you. I have the same issue but at a quart every 1200. I am waiting till it gets worse which should be within a year or two.

Let's say he is driving 15000 miles a year. That's 300 miles a week at roughly $4.00 in oil every week. 4 x 4.33 = about $17.00 per month in oil. Unless the car is in stellar condition at 158k I can't see putting a new engine in it. Keep feeding it oil. Change the filter a couple times a year and ease up on that thing a bit. Start preparing to face the inevitable.

I would go to Wally World and stock up on regular Mobil at $12.88/5qt jugs.

Last edited:
A quart every 300 miles? I'm very surprised you are not having serious issues elsewhere. I suggest switching to two stroke oil at that rate. Kidding of course.

I am really surprised you cannot see the oil burning, perhaps have someone follow you. Heck, at that rate the rear of the car should be covered in something.

OK, a couple of things I'd do. Pull the plugs and shoot a goodly shot of Break-Free (gun solvent) into each cylinder. Let sit over night. Next morning, I'd put a small squirt of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) into each cylinder and put the plugs back in. fire it up and go drive it. You likely have stuck rings ...

What will happen is the gun solvent will soften the carbon "crust" trapping the rings in the lands. The small shot of MMO will put more compression pressure on those rings and force them to move. Once they start moving, they are free. The extra pressure will also force the softened carbon into the crankcase where it will get caught by the filter.

Come back with it fully warmed up and drain the oil. Refill with Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 HDEO (or Delo400, etc.) because it's cheaper and the higher viscosity will slow things down. Plus the added detergency will help clean the motor slowly. Cleaning will further free things up.

You could even include a Qt of MMO in the change with the Delvac to also help free the rings while running.

Will this cure it all - no. Will it slow the consumption - yes, very likely
smile.gif
Will it keep you going for a while - yes. It'll buy time to see if dealer will fix the motor
smile.gif

In the end, if not, you at least have lowered your consumption
smile.gif

For filter, I'd do that once a year as suggested. It's not a depleted/dirty oil problem or a metal flaking issue (I hope...). So the filter is a minor concern. Make sure whatever filter you use has a good anti-drain-back valve so the engine sees pumped oil almost immediately (Wix, Baldin, Napa Gold, etc.).

Why put a rebuilt engine in it - because it raises the resale value. If Toyota has to do it anyway, no skin off the owner, and they get more when they sell or trade it in
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Josh48065
Originally Posted By: totegoat
Even rental cars don't use a quart in 300 miles. How much does it smoke?

The odd thing is that it doesn't even smoke at all! Cant even smell a thing either!

Someone is stealing your oil!
grin2.gif

No need to change the oil.
You need to change the engine.
An example of superior Toyota engineering.
If Toyota will fix this for free, great. Take the time to find out with a phone call or two.
If not, you should be car shopping now.
At least you'll know what not to buy.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: jmaster
fill it up with this
thumbsup2.gif

heavy duty oil

OP forget this advice. All it will do is dilute the oils additive package. Just start putting in a good affordable 10w40 and keep it topped up.

actually i meant just fill it up with a gallon of it! i'm just kidding of course. i thought he was pulling our chain to get a heated discussion going. didn't know there was a tsb. i thought toyota's were known for their reliability, that's insane oil consumption! lucas wouldn't do a thing to help.

by all means go to toyota with the problem.

fill it up with this
thumbsup2.gif

heavy duty oil

OP forget this advice. All it will do is dilute the oils additive package. Just start putting in a good affordable 10w40 and keep it topped up.

actually i meant just fill it up with a gallon of it! i'm just kidding of course. i thought he was pulling our chain to get a heated discussion going. didn't know there was a tsb. i thought toyota's were known for their reliability, that's insane oil consumption! lucas wouldn't do a thing to help.

Haha I didn't catch the sarcasm, sorry bout that Jmaster. I remember a family member using this old stuff in 2.3L fords...It is insanely thick. He would heat it up and pour it in.

grin.gif

fill it up with this
thumbsup2.gif

heavy duty oil

Haha I didn't catch the sarcasm, sorry bout that Jmaster. I remember a family member using this old stuff in 2.3L fords...It is insanely thick. He would heat it up and pour it in.

grin.gif

he filled it up with stp?? if so that is hilarious! one of my coworker's had an old mudding/climbing rig that he had to run gear oil in during its last remaining breaths, made it home 300 miles from an event and ran until it lost compression completely. he also runs 20w-50 in every vehicle he has, a 70's 302 f150 and a geo tracker. he does not fear the viscosity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BRZED
Originally Posted By: Josh48065
Originally Posted By: totegoat
Even rental cars don't use a quart in 300 miles. How much does it smoke?

The odd thing is that it doesn't even smoke at all! Cant even smell a thing either!

Someone is stealing your oil!
grin2.gif

Agreed, no such thing as using a qt in 300 miles without some smoke... Could only be visible after idling for a minute or two, but at 300 mi a qt, it's there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back