What brake pads do you pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the RockAuto clearances, it is hard not to take a peek. They have more than enough selection though and in all honesty it can be quite overwhelming. I also shop around at the parts stores which just leads to more head scratching.

Normally, what do you other shade tree mechanics out there go to? Rock Auto easily has 50+ part numbers ranging in price from $8 to $60. It is hard to tell where parts store pads fall in at on the spectrum.

They have some nice Centric pads for my Jeep, but they are going to be about $90 for front and rear.
27.gif

Last set of pads I bought were Wagner Thermoquiet on amazon. Put them on the truck maybe 5,000 miles ago and so far I am extremely pleased.

Akebono Street Performance from AAP for my car, significantly better braking power.

ASP>Wearever Platinum>Wagner ThermoQuiets(these brakes pads are horrible compare to the others I listed)

Bendix CT-3 I would put between ASP & WP

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Akebono Street Performance from AAP

$170 for f/r for the Jeep.

When does AAP come out with their $50 off $100 promo codes?
smile.gif

It depends on the car and what pads are what price.

Akebono ProACT is always a good choice even if they;re a bit expensive, even on Rock Auto.

Wagner Thermoquiet is a good pad, too, and at a great price. If you get the Thermoquiet, get the part number that starts with QC.

other than that, it depends. For someone's S10, they have Brembo pads for $11.

I've bought Axxis Deluxe pads for about $15 a set a few years back. They lasted at least 30k with no problems. I don't have that car anymore.

Pad selection varies by make and model.

+1 for the Akebono street performance pads. I got them for my from disc brakes and they are AWESOME. I can get slowed down from 105 mph to 50 with ease now. They are top notch. I got the Wagner Thermoquiets on the rear discs. So far so good on them.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
01_celica_gt said:

I was replacing brake pads almost every 5,000 miles. My Akebono ASP have about 40,000 miles on them and still have quite a lot of meat on them

Look on ebay for NOS Bendix CT-3 ceramics, you wont find a better pad. New ones are Chicom.

Edit link posted were not the right ones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
i stop like an old lady.

What ? You mean you don't race to the red light and then slam on the brakes like normal people ?

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
01_celica_gt said:

I was replacing brake pads almost every 5,000 miles. My Akebono ASP have about 40,000 miles on them and still have quite a lot of meat on them

Same here...well, not so much the excessive wear of OEMs....the pads lasted at least 35k miles (I bought the Camry used with 97k miles and don't know if they had ever been replaced)....but I replaced the OEMs with ASPs and they are great....have a fade rating of GG...that's Porscheland stuff...

Last edited:
Using Brembos and they are working great. Had Akebono on before and they were equally as great. Switched because I got the brembos for a nice price. Really comes down to how much you wanna spend!!

my zx2 has wagner thermoquiets on the front and they work excellent(whatever came with the wagner calipers), more than enough brake to lock up (no abs) the fronts but are controllable. they seem like a great choice for passenger cars/daily drivers. quiet like the name implies.

i'm about to put power stop z16 on the front of the jeep that i got from rock. the backs are already on and they almost out brake the worn fronts, got a chirp when bedding the pads. no noise but they sure did smell after the first drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back