How do you convince a friend to help you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, but I can never get my friends to help me fix my truck. I like to have somebody nearby in case I need some help or need to go somewhere cause no matter how hard I try I always forget a tool I need.

Well, when the girlfriend and I started dating I basically said "I'll get the parts for you and you can pay me for them". When I do oil changes for friends, they tell me what oil and filter they want and give me the $$$. It's that or nothing

True friends will help when you need help because they're friends.
Family emergencies and health issues come to mind here.

My friends are my friends because we trust and respect each other.
That's the foundation for any personal/business relationship imho.

My hobbies are my hobbies. Some friends and I enjoy the same hobbies together. Others do not.

Leaches and fair weather folks can gtfo.

Sounds like you may want to consider hiring a competent professional for mechanical matters.

$.02

Getting help involves giving help.
If you need help with a job or project, those you look to for help need to know that you'll help them when they need it.
You can also employ an element of barter.
Help me with the clutch and I'll give you a free oil change.
Who among us doesn't have some FAR oil in the appropriate grade for just about anything and probably a filter as well?
Or maybe, I'll help you do your brakes?
If you want help, you have to offer it as well.
If you've already done this and your friends still won't help you, then you need better people as friends.

Originally Posted By: splinter
True friends will help when you need help because they're friends.
Family emergencies and health issues come to mind here.

My friends are my friends because we trust and respect each other.
That's the foundation for any personal/business relationship imho.

My hobbies are my hobbies. Some friends and I enjoy the same hobbies together. Others do not.

Leaches and fair weather folks can gtfo.

Sounds like you may want to consider hiring a competent professional for mechanical matters.

$.02

A lot of it is safety reasons. If my hand gets smashed, probably won't do much good screaming for a neighbor.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, but I can never get my friends to help me fix my truck. I like to have somebody nearby in case I need some help or need to go somewhere cause no matter how hard I try I always forget a tool I need.

Learn to be independent. Then you don't have to rely on anyone but yourself.

A lot of it is safety reasons. If my hand gets smashed, probably won't do much good screaming for a neighbor.

Indeed. My company hosts safety briefings every Friday. Safety first!

Good luck with your hands.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
Get better friends...or at least friends that like working on cars. I look forward to helping friends out with their car repairs.

x2

The only thing I want to add (and this isnt directed to anyone in particular.) but if you ask for help, make sure there is plenty of notice. (ie don't ask for help on a Thursday or Friday for help Saturday morning.)

safety/liability aside, I have friends who regularly pitch in to help with automotive repairs.

Mostly to help drive their car repair cost down ("sweat equity"), but more importantly: most of them wanted to learn how to do certain things RE: regular maintenance.

Of course: I make sure that they are wearing steel toes and no sandals.

Q.

BTW: I don't have a lot of "loser" kind of friends nowadays....

Many people are busy these days with family, 2 jobs and their own chores around the house.

I would save the "ask a friend" requests for really rare times.

Originally Posted By: Quest
safety/liability aside, I have friends who regularly pitch in to help with automotive repairs.

Mostly to help drive their car repair cost down ("sweat equity"), but more importantly: most of them wanted to learn how to do certain things RE: regular maintenance.

Of course: I make sure that they are wearing steel toes and no sandals.

Q.

BTW: I don't have a lot of "loser" kind of friends nowadays....

My good friend who I grew up with helped me a lot with my Jeep when i first bought it. Same with his father who was like my grandfather growing up. Both of them taught me so much with automotive/ mechanical repairs and saved me a lot of money. I can now take that knowledge and help others which I neat i think.

I got tired of annoying others.

Instead of getting rides to pick up new beater cars, I got a tow dolley.

When I break something unexpected, I ride my moped to the parts store.

Keep a plan B.

I had a neighbor/family friend whom I bought and built a PC for, installed/setup wireless router, and many other software related setups. Spent a few weekends to set them up. Got great deals on other purchases for them. All was appreciated.
But, when I needed help with an excavator (they had one at home that they used. They borrow it from their work) they said no. I would've paid for gas. Her words were, "I had to go out and rent it to keep rental place employed."
No more PC help or any other help from me. I was [censored]!

Assuming no unsafe dolts... I'd love to be asked to help my friends on their cars. I'm pretty useless, but still don't mind. My schedule is pretty busy though.

Unfortunately I hate asking for help my own jobs. Everyone I know is pretty busty, plus few of them work on their own cars.

I can never get my friends to help me fix my truck.

Do you ever give, or always take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back