Azola 68 uses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a big tub of this, but no hydraulic system to use it in.

Uses I'm considering include motorcycle fork oil, chain oil and maybe part of an anti-rust home brew, though that does seem a bit of a waste.

I thought of using it in an old 2-stroke motorcycle gear box but decided not to, since it probably doesn't have the appropriate anti-wear additives, and it may not be compatible with the seals.

Azolla, by Total, is a well-regarded hydraulic oil. As for the motorcycle gear box, the AW package is pretty good, but I'd not recommend it. For a fork oil, I'd expect it to be too heavy; an ISO 10 or 15 is more common, I think.

If it were me, I'd trade it to someone with industrial hydraulics that wants an oil this thick; it is optimum in the 130F operating temperature range. It's VI is not what one would prefer for mobile (widely varying temperature) applications

Their data sheet says "Designed for use in all kind of hydraulic sytems running under the most difficult conditions, such as in machine tools, mould injection machines, presses and other industrial or mobile equipment. Also used in many other applications, where an universal high performance antiwear lubricant is the first choice : low charged gears, sliding and roller bearings, air compressors, servo-motors and control systems equipped with fine filtration systems."

The link to their pdf ... http://www.total-distributor-partners.com/media/18524/azolla_zs_10-22-32-46-68-100-150_-_10.2011.pdf

What is the ISO viscosity?

I am glad they didn't name it, "Azole."
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
What is the ISO viscosity?

I am glad they didn't name it, "Azole."
grin2.gif

Viscosity at 40°C ISO 3104 is 68 mm2/s, hence, I guess, the name. Azolla 68.(I missed an L)

Re Azole, it'd provide another way past the auto-censor, but arsehole works for me.

Originally Posted By: George Bynum
Azolla, by Total, is a well-regarded hydraulic oil. As for the motorcycle gear box, the AW package is pretty good, but I'd not recommend it. For a fork oil, I'd expect it to be too heavy; an ISO 10 or 15 is more common, I think.

If it were me, I'd trade it to someone with industrial hydraulics that wants an oil this thick; it is optimum in the 130F operating temperature range. It's VI is not what one would prefer for mobile (widely varying temperature) applications

Their data sheet says "Designed for use in all kind of hydraulic sytems running under the most difficult conditions, such as in machine tools, mould injection machines, presses and other industrial or mobile equipment. Also used in many other applications, where an universal high performance antiwear lubricant is the first choice : low charged gears, sliding and roller bearings, air compressors, servo-motors and control systems equipped with fine filtration systems."

The link to their pdf ... http://www.total-distributor-partners.com/media/18524/azolla_zs_10-22-32-46-68-100-150_-_10.2011.pdf

Thanks. Maybe I can "cut" it with ATF for the fork oil, but that's not going to use much anyway.

Re trading it, dont have any such contacts. Since I'm in Taiwan, it'd be trouble to arrange, and if it was me I don't think I'd put unknown provenance oil from some foreign weirdo in my hydraulic system.

So I suppose I've got 10,000 years supply of chain oil. Better fix my motorcycle then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back