Tesla Model 3 To Feature New Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Tesla’s Chief Technology Officer, JB Straubel, recently revealed that the Model 3 will largely be based around completely new technology.

Comments from this key figure within Tesla were made during a presentation at the University of Nevada, during which Straubel indicated that the Model 3 would feature entirely new motor and battery technology.

Strauber commented that Tesla will be “inventing a whole new platform” with the Model 3. he also confirmed that the prototype for this forthcoming vehicle features “a new battery architecture, it’s a new motor technology — brand new vehicle structure…so it’s a lot of work. This is something we started on even a few years ago. But it is a brand new vehicle — and it has to be.”

The Model 3 car can’t go into production until Tesla’s Nevada Gigafactory is up and running, and the factory still is not operational at the time of writing.

However, Tesla has reportedly accelerated plans to begin cell production at the Gigafactory by the end of 2016, which at least means that the company is ahead of its initial plans for vehicle.

Quote:
The Model 3 is expected to be another high-performance physical from Tesla, with sources close to the company indicating a performance up to 60 mph similar to that of the BMW M3. This vehicle achieves 0 to 60 in around four seconds, which suggests that the Model 3 will be an extremely nifty road vehicle.

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/11/tesla-model-3-to-feature-new-tech-cto/

Unofficial sketch of Model 3, looks good for a compact sedan.

Tesla-Model-3.jpg

The naysayers wishing Tesla early death are probably in the wrong. Seems like Tesla is on track for mass market BEV with very high performance for reasonable price of around $30-35k in 2017.

If it can do 4 sec 0-60 MPH at $30k MSRP before Federal and State incentive(s) it is much better than any German automaker planning of low 5 sec 0-60 MPH at a much higher cost.

30k-35k . . . if they are really putting so much resources into it, i doubt it will be even close to that price. Probably twice at least for it to be financially viable.

How did I guess HTSS_TR might start a thread about Elon Musk and/or Tesla?

First ever post I remember from him was regarding the (then) $23.99 0W-40 M1 at WM. All good!

Is this really a, we're going to need more time and money announcement?

To be followed by a, we missed the 30K target and the price is going to be 50K.

To be followed by a, we're going to need more time and money.....

Let's hope it doesn't suffer from all the bugs that their $100K+ offerings do. If they can assure good quality control, this will in fact be a game changer.

Originally Posted By: Noobie
30k-35k . . . if they are really putting so much resources into it, i doubt it will be even close to that price. Probably twice at least for it to be financially viable.

It is possible that Tesla employees don't get very high salary but they get company stock options, that can bring the cost of R&D and manufacture down.

Model 3 would not have some fancy features of Model S and X to bring cost down, at least for the base model.

Also, the batteries are manufactured at Gigafactory such that its cost is lower than other automakers. Since the range is estimated to be about 200 miles for a smaller/lighter than model S, so that Model 3 would not need as big and costly battery.

Originally Posted By: splinter
How did I guess HTSS_TR might start a thread about Elon Musk and/or Tesla?

First ever post I remember from him was regarding the (then) $23.99 0W-40 M1 at WM. All good!

Well, I like Tesla for many reasons. One of them is Tesla is a new American company that set BEV standards for all other automakers to follow(no one had any plan to surpass Model S performance yet, Porsche included). Also, as of now they manufacture all their vehicles in USA and export to many oversea countries.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
If the article is correct and they do end up costing only 30-35K I will buy one.

The price sounds too good to be true, not only because it's an EV, but also because of the suggested performance.

The 250 mile range would be problematic for me. Unless they find a way to coveniently swap the battery or a way of really rapidly (in less than 15 minutes) charging the battery anywhere across the country, I don't see the vehicle make much sense outside of metro areas. And there you don't need impressive 0-60 times.

If the article is correct and they do end up costing only 30-35K I will buy one.

You gotta make sure you remember to plug it in when you get home from work.
grin2.gif

HTSS_TR: Based on Tesla's Gigafactory job postings, they are paying their employees very well in cash. Maybe they get good stock options too but they are not skimping on paying them.

Tesla saves big once that factory is online. They also save in their factory to customer sales structure. (i'd like to buy one just to skip dealing with a franchised car dealer) I think it will price match the BMW i3 while offering more range and power. I also think Tesla would sell them at a loss or a small margin just to get their business into the mainstream.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You gotta make sure you remember to plug it in when you get home from work.
grin2.gif

Some work places already had charging stations and more are going to install it in the future, especially in California the state government would heavily promote( or pressure if you like to call it that way) ZEV(Zero Emission Vehicle) to reduce harmful emission from ICE vehicles.

Also some shopping malls and hotels do have plug in and more are coming.

If someone drive less than 50-60 miles a day he/she doesn't need to plug in every night.

For someone who hate do any maintenance, they don't have to worry about oil change, ATF, coolant ...

Originally Posted By: ddrumman2004
Just a quick glance at the picture....I see similar looks to everything else that runs up and down the road.

Many people like normal styling that doesn't stand out now and in future, and not as ugly as BMW I3.

Originally Posted By: super20dan
this should have been their first model-not the 3rd

It is their 3 model(doesn't count the convertible), the first mass product was Model S, the second was Model X then this one. Actually they like to name it Model E so that they can combine all 3 models as S-E-X, but Ford has trade mark on model E so they have to name it Model 3. Model 3 in roman is III which can be rotated 90 degree and looks similar to S-E-X.

I hope so too. Elon Musk keeps talking about $35k for Model 3 and we will see how much it will cost as early as March 2015 about 5 months from now when they officially release the design. At that time they will start to accept pre-order for delivery by end of 2017, if it is on schedule.

Quote:
And there you don't need impressive 0-60 times.
Do tell me where you need the impressive 0-60 times? Don't you have a drag strip within 250 miles of your residence?

There are bunch of reasons for not liking the Tesla but the one above is B O G U S.

Put some effort in to your argument, please!

Originally Posted By: dareo
HTSS_TR: Based on Tesla's Gigafactory job postings, they are paying their employees very well in cash. Maybe they get good stock options too but they are not skimping on paying them.

Tesla saves big once that factory is online. They also save in their factory to customer sales structure. (i'd like to buy one just to skip dealing with a franchised car dealer) I think it will price match the BMW i3 while offering more range and power. I also think Tesla would sell them at a loss or a small margin just to get their business into the mainstream.

They may pay their employees fairy well compares with other industries, but not as much as traditional automakers especially Detroit big three. Last I hear it costs more than $60/hr per employee to GM and Ford, this amount includes all benefits.

As of now, I think the base Model 3 would be around $30-35k and it can be north of $50k with fancy/performance options. Tesla needs to have good profit margin for Model 3 to stay in business, they can't afford to sell it at a lost. How do they produce a 200 miles range EV for less than $25-30k to have decent profit I don't know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Noobie

Same way the Concorde was built at all: Extreme government subsidies.

It's not difficult to make cheap products when you don't have to worry about where the money will come from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back