full throttle no load to warm up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Kawasaki lawn mower engine recommends to warm up the engine at half throttle for 3-4 minutes before using. It says to do this to allow all parts to expand at an even rate. On one of my other mowers I just left it at full throttle cause the throttle was stiff. Never seemed to harm it I just made sure I didn't go loading it down heavy when the engine was cold. What do you guys think? I get tired of messing with the throttle all the time. It also says to engage the PTO at 1/2 throttle, in addition to that it calls for me to idle for a few minutes after heavy load. Honestly I think an air cooled engine would cool down more if you let it run at full throttle with no load. Today I just left it at full throttle the whole time with the exception of the first start of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I noticed it takes a while to warm up if you let it warm up at dead idle. Like 5 minutes before I feel the oil filter start to get warm. Kind of dumb I think I mean how many generators and that kind of thing go straight to full throttle as soon as they start. Not only portable generators, but big v16 caterpillar engines too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Kawasaki engine in my lawn tractor, and I'm 100% positive that it will last longer than the rest of the tractor no matter what I do! I plow snow with it and I don't bother to warm it up for 3-4 minutes even when it's -10 outside.

More revs equals more oil shear equals faster heating rates....simple physics.

At a given speed, they are much less dependent on load than revs.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

So you're saying to just leave her at full throttle all the time? Personally I like to leave throttle cables and cables alone in general cause they stretch and get worn out and eventually break. Then I lose 3hrs of work to go track down some stupid parts.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

IMO I think parts would be lubricated more thoroughly at higher rpms vs pumping thick cold oil up to the top end at a slow rate.

I usually let my stuff idle tip smooth, high idle til choke gets opens, then work it.
I know my rentals get full throttle and go, they survive.

To answer the comment about gen's start at wot, yes many do.
Those cat'e, Cummins, DD, MTU, etc v12/16/20/24 yes they start and go to rated speed, but only after oil pressure up.
At my other job the bosses baby is a mint low hour Detroit 12v149 was a backup from the hhospital he works for. Sae40 and it starts and runs upto 1,800rpm at 10psi of oil. Roots blower with turbos.

Harvey

I just don't see the point of warming it up unless it's going to be placed under heavy load. Cutting off 2" of grass isn't going to load it down.

26 hp Briggs twin here, it says specifically in the manual to always run it at full throttle only. So we do that.

Only 150 hours, but running very sweetly...

You don't have a choice with lots of OPE. It runs right up to max governed speed after you start it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back