RANGER STARTING PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, It seems that I never have a problem unless it is a head scratcher. I recently bought a 95 Ford Ranger to replace my '80 Gmc. But that is not relevant. It has the 4 cyl, and 5 speed. It also has 196000 miles on the odo. Starts, runs, and drives great. BUT, every once in a while (not always) if I shut it off, and go to start it up in just a few seconds or a minute later, it will crank perfectly, but not start. Every time so far to get it to start all I have to do is sit and wait for 2 minutes, (sometimes even less) and it will start perfectly, as if nothing was ever wrong and run perfectly. ONE time, I was sitting at a red light, and it just stopped, and of course would not start. Waited through the rest of the red light, and of course the green light, causing angry drivers behind me, and it then started perfectly and no problems the rest of the day. Any Ideas anybody????? I am scheduled to take it in to the local ford dealer tomorrow morning, but am afraid that it won't act up for them, and they won't find anything, but just give me a big bill for diagnosis. Probably say to bring it in when it does it, which is impossible as I can't bring it in if it won't start.

Could be alot of things, ignition control module, bad wires, loose wires, or coil etc etc..

Do a search on google, seems to be rather common.

Ignition module perhaps.

I don't know if a '95 Ranger has a crankshaft sensor or camshaft sensor, but my '98 LeSabre did. It would crank but not fire. I was told it could be either of those sensors, so I changed them both since they were cheap. Problem solved.

I go against what all the others will say and say your fuel pumps is bad. LOL JK
Intermittent stuff is the hardest to diagnose for the reason you gave, you need to do some diagnostic work when the problem occurs.

You need a second person or a remote starter switch ready to go when it happens, do it preferably in big parking lot not the public street. If you don't have a scan tool your at a big disadvantage right from the get go but you can do some basic diagnosis, whatever you do don't start throwing parts at it, that gets expensive real fast.

Bring these with you.
12v Test light
DVOM
Noid light
spark tester
Fuel pressure tester if it has a Schrader valve that is easily accessible. (you can get cheap ones or rent one)

Before going on this little test drive, check/clean the battery connections and with the engine running wiggle the connections to the ignition control module, coil and anything else you can see.

First determine if its fuel or spark, i doubt its a fuel pump but it could easily be a wonky pump relay. Connect you fuel pressure tester to the rail and turn the key on and crank it, you should have pressure.
If not check the pressure relay voltage.

Connect the noid light to an injector and hold the spark tester to the wires as you crank it, you should have spark and the noid light should flash, if it doesn't suspect a bad crank sensor or ecm or wiring problem.
Or do it the dirty way ans give it shot of either, if it tries to stat chances are its fuel related, check the relay and voltage to the relay, you might have a bum ignition switch.

For no spark you can test the module and coil voltage and ohms, get the specs online or from a book.
If this engine uses a cap with a coil wire and you have no spark swap the coil to cap lead for testing, this can cause what you describe.

This is just an incomplete list of general testing stuff you can do cheaply. Spark tester and noid can be had online or from advance, AZ, ect cheap enough.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lisle...ontent=22981314

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/otc-bosch-pfi-noid-light-otc7188/17632176-P?searchTerm=noid+light

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/power...Term=noid+light

Something is heating up and shutting down.I had a cracked solder joint on an S10 ECM that would cause that too.

I had that exact truck that did the same thing and it was the crankshaft sensor. However, with that many miles, I wouldn't rule out the fuel pump.

RockAuto has your new Delphi crank sensor for $23.99

Only one left. Hurry!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back