Wine - Your Current Purple Juice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since gramps likes meat, I have been raiding my stash and have over the last week sacrificed a few bottles of Château Durfort-Vivens, a very good Margaux. Excellent with steak and even with a cheeseburger.

This is my current favorite. Nothing fancy...

DSC_9899.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
This is my current favorite. Nothing fancy...

DSC_9899.jpg

Got a bottle of the Red and it too is very good. I never noticed this wine, then bam! It was everywhere.

Should have added that the Apothic Dark I like is the 2013 vintage. I tried the 2014 and it's not as good, IMO. You can still find 2013 in some stores.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Revolutionary Red from Costco, then I use a dollarstore funnel....

REV red and white are very good..especially considering you can get it at grocery stores or deps.
1L size is nice too!

I have seen R.R. for 9.99 on sale... But I don't see that often enough to bother hunting for that price.

Next under 10$ sale tho, we can see how much the suspension on my Fit can withstand lol, jk I will pick up a case, the wine goes with everything...

There are a number of even cheaper reds from Chile and Argentina that are pretty good.
You generally can't go wrong with any Malbec or Merlot.
Splurge on the occasional Appellation Controlee Bordeaux, though, just to see what you've been missing.
A little more costly, but worth every penny for a special dinner.
We've been drinking and enjoying more red wine recently.
My wife used to think that she didn't really like a dry red, but she has come to appreciate them more.

Originally Posted By: RamFan

Got a bottle of the Red and it too is very good. I never noticed this wine, then bam! It was everywhere.

It's a relatively new brand from Gallo. Gallo is big enough they can make stuff appear instantly.

Anything that's $3.99 or less...which encompasses some decent wines around these parts. I can get some decent off-label California wines for that figure along with some Chilean and Argentinian wines. IMO, the Two Buck Chuck Shiraz punches above it's price point. There's also a $3.99 French red table wine from Trader Joe's ( L'Authentique )that's very good.

My uncle grew wine grapes in the Napa Valley and my experience with that culture ( somewhat changed since then ) convinced me to reject anyone who labels a $40-$50 bottle of wine as a "good value".

I just got back from Romania. There wines, and wines available from France etc seemed sweeter than US wines? Is this normal.
Here are a couple, one being a had to buy bottle, and the other a really good wine vineyard in Craiova.

Originally Posted By: steve40th
I just got back from Romania. There wines, and wines available from France etc seemed sweeter than US wines? Is this normal.
Here are a couple, one being a had to buy bottle, and the other a really good wine vineyard in Craiova.

I would say American red wines tend to be sweeter than French and other Euro wines. French wines are often more acidic than American wines, which has to do with the colder versus the warmer climate, I think. French wines' taste is more particular to the region where the grapes are grown, while American wines taste more like the type grape used.

Wrong thread, but he had eggs Benedict, chicken fried steak with hash browns and apple pie this morning. He and his girlfriend will be leaving tomorrow morning. For the record, she eats like a bird, but she's only 55.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back