Mobile 1 mixed with Mobil 1 Racing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Racing/boutique/motorcycle oils make great oil additives. Blend all you want.

When available, I usually add a pint or quart to a fill at an OCI. You don't need much to spike the additive level. And, I grabbed plenty quarts of closeout racing oils over the year.

Run either 100% and UOA. Then, blend away and compare UOAs.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Penrite 10W40 racing is a 5 minute walk from my front door and $16/L...

Yes, and those of us here in the states trying desperately to get Penrite's products HATE you for that!
wink.gif
(j/k!!)

Even though we only pay between $12.00 and $13.00/qt. for the street Red Line oils.

It's quite funny actually, I used to loathe the brand for their foisting 20W60 as their "plus 10" minimum standard for Australians...it has had an effect in what Aussies think in minimum requirements.

But the company has evolved into some really innovative areas.

They are one of the only companies in Oz to have an actual tech line, Mobil/Castrol dropping to a sales guy who can only read the PDS

I'd do some serious research on oiling issues with the LS7 before I went too crazy with that thing on the track. I'm not a Chevy guy but I know they have issued.

M1 0W40 would be my oil of choice.

They are one of the only companies in Oz to have an actual tech line, Mobil/Castrol dropping to a sales guy who can only read the PDS

Kind of like our Red Line Oil, and "Dave" on their tech line ALWAYS ready to answer any questions, or tech issues.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Racing/boutique/motorcycle oils make great oil additives. Blend all you want.

This is what I was thinking, and I was surprised when Mobil 1 said not to do it.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

and "Dave" on their tech line ALWAYS ready to answer any questions, or tech issues.
smile.gif

Is there a real "Dave" (your quotation marks raised my curiosity)?

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

and "Dave" on their tech line ALWAYS ready to answer any questions, or tech issues.
smile.gif

Is there a real "Dave" (your quotation marks raised my curiosity)?

YES THERE IS!

I only put it in quotes because he is almost a member on here, given how often he is mentioned in Red Line oil posts/topics.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: robertcope
I'd do some serious research on oiling issues with the LS7 before I went too crazy with that thing on the track. I'm not a Chevy guy but I know they have issues.

M1 0W40 would be my oil of choice.

Are there any mods that can be done to the factory dry sump system to make it any better/more efficient for road course use, short of replacing it with a 'real', co$tly, multi-stage, aftermarket one??

(AGAIN, IF this is an actual 5th gen Z28, and not just a wet sump LS7 swap into something else, like a 4th gen f body.
wink.gif
)

My guess is that if they have gone to the trouble to design in a dry sump system it is going to be difficult to improve on it without major effort as you point out (co$tly, etc.). Get on the boards and see if others may have found a way. The possibility of an improved crank scraper has come up here in the past as a way to return more oil to the pickup in a timely manner along with an Accusump to back up the system. But again, as you say, if it is a real dry sump system, I would be surprised if the OEM hadn't been down most of these roads already. Ask around.

It's (the factory LS7) dry sump system is not as "real" as most of the aftermarket/racing ones in that it uses a single stage gerotor oil pump similar to (and in the same location as) the other LS series engines' wet sump versions, and not an external, multi-stage (4 or more stage) pump.

If I had (and could afford) a car with this engine, I would definitely install one of the great aftermarket 4+ stage dry sump systems, as long as there was room to do so.
(Some have said that there is NOT enough room in a C6's engine bay to install one without SERIOUS major surgery.
frown.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back