Need Ford Part Number Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the temperature sensors on my Ranger. There are two identical looking sensors right next to each other on the thermostat housing. According to the Ford parts diagram, the sensors are two different part numbers. Rockauto also lists both part numbers for my truck. But the old sensors I took out have the exact same part number on them. The part number on the sensors I have is 3l84-12a648 ba. The Ford parts diagram says one part number is a "sensor" and the other is a "sender." The sensor part number is 3L8Z12A648BA and the sender part number is 3F1T-10884-AA. I just ordered one of each from Rockauto, but I'm wondering if that was a mistake since both of the sensors I have are identical. Which ones should I order?

I have a hunch both use the same temp-resistance scale. Maybe somebody here has the manuals/software and can confirm this.

A 12A648 is a sensor for the PCM, which has a basic number of 12A650. A 10884 is a sender for the gauge, the basic number for the cluster is 10849. I live and breathe this stuff all day.

I'm replacing them because the thermostat housing was leaking, and I replaced it with an aftermarket aluminum housing. The replacement o-rings that came with the housing are too big and don't work, so I tried reusing the original o-rings. Now I have a leak from the sensors, so I'm replacing the sensors. I'll PM my VIN in a moment.

had The Exact same thing happen with my 2002 Ranger 4.0L last month. Go to your favorite Auto parts store, AutoZone,etc.... Go to the section that sells the Little prepackaged "Help" stuff (dorman) pick up 2 packs of the non mectric assorted O Rings. Dig out one correct o ring per pack, and you will be fine.

I have heard, but not tried, that 1W1Z-19E889-BB A/C o-rings will work on these applications. Ford does not officially have a replaceable o-ring, but other parts people have claimed that part number will work.

What we need is an inside man that works at the Ford parts department.
laugh.gif

Too bad I do Ford and Mazda. O and yes Lincoln and Merucry also. I am sure I can probably do Merkur, but I haven't looked up anything for them yet. For Jag, Land Rover, Volvo, and Aston Martin that have Ford parts on them, I can sometimes cross the numbers, but if the parts are specific to those makes I cannot order them.

Funny thing, Mazda makes all their dealers sublet Tribute Hybrid work to Ford dealers. We had one come in and had to sublet the work to ourselves.

Thanks a lot bdcardinal. I corrected my Rockauto order. I will definitely write down this information and part numbers in my maintenance records, so I won't have this confusion if I ever have to replace these again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back