Intake Tubing Gone Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Amazon sold me a better than OEM for my Toyota for 17 bucks. That got rid of ALL the bad rubber.

I may eventually look into something like that to replace the rest at some point, but this was a cheap alternative for the time being, and the rest of the intake tubing is in much better shape because it hasn't been bent and abused like the flex piece was.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I kind of wonder can it get fast and shoot out the tailpipe really fast.

Only if you also use a Turbonator: The Turbonator!

Easy install!

51axgUqTYXL_zpsog3j5sfs.jpg

laugh.gif

Mighty Car Mods actually tested one of these out. The results are about what you would expect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGWgvJN1_8

A couple of years ago, while reading a Kia Sedona (mini-van) forum I noticed a number of threads commenting on the propensity of the same rubber piece to crack and generate codes. I checked a friend's 2006 Sedona, and sure enough there were two or three spots where the boot was cracked all the way through. No codes at any time. The boot was ridiculously expensive through Kia--something like $90. I suppose the handyman's secret weapon (Red Green, anyone?) would have worked, but we popped for the expensive solution. I've always wondered how much grit was swallowed by the engine, but at 189,000 miles now the engine runs like new and uses no oil between changes, so apparently no significant harm was done.

I have older Honda and Chrysler vans with a very similar intake system that still have no cracks, so I suspect Kia used rather unsatisfactory materials at the time.

It seems esp on the older KIA's the weak parts are the rubber and plastic parts. On my 03 it has all good mechanical parts with 213k miles. Original Wheel bearings and struts (yes i know) the plastic and rubber parts seem to die first lol.

Not to mention the horrible center console lid and sun visor mirror covers, which if u expect it to break, you wont be worried about it.

Still a great and reliable car, always starts right up runs great.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Looks nice, and probably more durable. Those Spectre pieces are rated for use as boost couplings, so it's probably solid.

The Vibrant stuff is even better yet (and most of it is made in the USA), but you DO pay a little more for it.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back